Exercises targeted to "cinch" the waist?

Options
I'm just wondering about exercises for the waist to help create a more hourglass figure. One of my friends lose a lot of weight. Before that she had a gorgeous hourglass figure and now she's boy shaped! I don't want to end up like that! :)

Replies

• tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    try some magic ?

seriously though body shape is skeletal and muscular genetics,

your body has a fixed shape based on the fat,muscle and bone structure.

there is no way to alter these base lines,

if your hips are wide (anteror pelvic tilt) then you will always have wide hips

if your more of an ectomorph when you lose weight, (boy shaped) then thats what you will be, unless you stop short of losing the Body fat that is love handles.
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I'm not saying this will work but have you tried hooping? I'm not sure where abouts you are based but I managed to pick up a hoop in TK Maxx, if you are in the US there is a brand called Empower that do the hoops.

I have a review on my blog http://wp.me/p3u9RH-N
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I noticed a significant difference when I stopped running and literally only did 20mins incline power walking and 10 mins of deadlifting and air squats. My waist went from 34-31inches in a month - only lost 4lbs.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    The good news is that if you are at a lower healthy body weight, you can always dress to accent a small waist and proportions with what you choose to wear (dresses or skirts) or the style of jeans.

I find the more core work I do, front, back and sides, the easier it is to do other exercises. I find that yoga and barre3 work the best for me to continue to improve my overall body tone , especially my midsection!....

PS to Katrinadionne - hooping is on my list to try! It looks like so much fun!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Althuogh its mostly down to genes and build, try doing some twisted sit-ups (cross one leg over the other and when you come up bring the opposite elbow towards the raised knee) or waist reaches (come up and reach one hand towards the same side ankle, repeat on other side). Some of my DVD workouts recommend these to "shape" your waist - I supose by giving definition to muscles.

ETA As I'm hour-glass anyway I can't judge how effective they'd be for someone less waist-defined.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Google "Britney Spears Syndrome" -- basically the conclusion is that a lot of direct ab work thickens your waist.
  • tbrain1989
    Options
    Google "Britney Spears Syndrome" -- basically the conclusion is that a lot of direct ab work thickens your waist.

can i google and exercise to make me taller ? cause this is incredible stuff...

*le sigh*
  • michelle7673
    Options

*le sigh*

I'm not sure I understand your comment....but it is kind of common sense although it cuts against conventional wisdom. You don't make fat go away by working an area. You don't make muscles smaller by working an area. There's no such thing as "tone" in a resting state. All you can do is make muscles bigger.
  • tbrain1989
    Options

*le sigh*

I'm not sure I understand your comment....but it is kind of common sense although it cuts against conventional wisdom. You don't make fat go away by working an area. You don't make muscles smaller by working an area. There's no such thing as "tone" in a resting state. All you can do is make muscles bigger.

common sense to be able to build a thicker waist? really?

i was joking about exercises to make me taller, but thats principally the same topic, you cant change your body shape. you can add fat and muscle but asside hip flexors, there are not muscles to "bulk" on your hips,

you can bulk your glutes, which will make your bum rounder, but.. all of these will not drastically change your body shape.

as for the britney spears work out.... seriously ? youd be better off trying the superman work out with the intention of flying
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That Britney article I googled is terrible - the two pictures being compared, I'm pretty sure she's actually older in the 'thin' waist one...oh and it's in a magazine so will be photoshopped, as opposed to a stage photo. Britney is just a naturally thick figured girl!
  • michelle7673
    Options
    Okay, fine. I'm just expressing my opinion that "working" abdominal muscles would not logically give you a smaller waist.
  • michelle7673
    Options

*le sigh*

common sense to be able to build a thicker waist? really?

i was joking about exercises to make me taller, but thats principally the same topic, you cant change your body shape. you can add fat and muscle but asside hip flexors, there are not muscles to "bulk" on your hips,

you can bulk your glutes, which will make your bum rounder, but.. all of these will not drastically change your body shape.

as for the britney spears work out.... seriously ? youd be better off trying the superman work out with the intention of flying

I wasn't recommending any workout. I was just saying that ab exercises do not necessarily reduce your waist size.