Should I attempt 5k or wait?

Options
We have a 5k run on Thanksgiving I wanted to run. I just did week 7 day 1of c25k today. I run it on a treadmill, and only at a speed of 4.

Last Spring and Summer I was running 5k at a speed 10 to 11min miles most every day. Then the end of Summer I injured my foot, got better and started over with c25k, since then I had a couple gout flare ups on other foot, then also struggled with fluid build up in my lower legs.i attempted to run c25k again and again, but couldn't get past the first week. Then figured out my triggers and tried again. So I'm now on the 7th week. I'm actually a couple days behind now. But after I learned about this run I really wanted to do it, it's been a goal of mine to run across thebridge over the river. I'm just not sure if it's a smart idea to try it. It's all pavement, and the bridge is an incline over and back. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How long are your runs in total?

Normally I would say absolutely go for it and just do your training week (ie, run 5 walk 1 or wherever you are) to finish the race. But, with your problems, I'd be a little cautious to push it too far from where you are now.

I'm not sure what a treadmill speed of 4 is. How long is it taking you and how far are you covering? Figure your pace, figure how long a 5k would take and decide.
    If it is a significant addition of time, I'd suggest not. Or at least walk a good portion of the start, do close to your usual time/distance to finish.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!
    4 is mins per hour, so 15 min mile. I had to look it up to put it into perspective, that means running 25 mins today, wasn't even 2 miles So maybe I should wait. My thinking was, even if I had to walk some, I would still be doing something I was nervous about doing when I was running 5k regularly, and it would help instill the excitement and motivation to keep going. I was hoping that maybe adrenaline would get me through the last bit.
    All in all I'm just glad to be doing what I am now cause I really thought my running dreams were over.

Normally I would say absolutely go for it and just do your training week (ie, run 5 walk 1 or wherever you are) to finish the race. But, with your problems, I'd be a little cautious to push it too far from where you are now.

I'm not sure what a treadmill speed of 4 is. How long is it taking you and how far are you covering? Figure your pace, figure how long a 5k would take and decide.
    If it is a significant addition of time, I'd suggest not. Or at least walk a good portion of the start, do close to your usual time/distance to finish.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply!
    4 is mins per hour, so 15 min mile. I had to look it up to put it into perspective, that means running 25 mins today, wasn't even 2 miles So maybe I should wait. My thinking was, even if I had to walk some, I would still be doing something I was nervous about doing when I was running 5k regularly, and it would help instill the exciting and motivation to keep going. I was hoping that maybe adrenaline would get me through the last bit.
    All in all I'm just glad to be doing what I am now cause I really thought my running dreams were over.

You could plan to walk the first mile, then run the last 2.

I mean, really, you could do it. It is just, personally, I'd err side on the caution with the injury thing and not want to push it too much.
  • judejud98
    judejud98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i think u should tried it ..
    i weight 90 kg but i finish 10k run in just 1 hour. dont stop when u feel pain but stop when u done. do ur
    best.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    My first half marathon was run despite never having run half that distance before. Injuries are a different problem though so be careful.
    Would it be that horrible to walk a little, get your breathing back and then resume jogging?
  • Becky_44
    Options
    My breathing is fine, I can keep going on the runs I do already. I'm just trying to keep from heating up too my and my lower legs giving out. Course it will be chilly so that will help a lot. You guys have encouraged even more, and I will be signing up today. I just wasn't sure if it seemed too far fetched to even give it ago yet, but I want to, and have some good advice here, and will feel confident no matter if I end up walking some of it or not. :)
    My first half marathon was run despite never having run half that distance before. Injuries are a different problem though so be careful.
    Would it be that horrible to walk a little, get your breathing back and then resume jogging?

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    My breathing is fine, I can keep going on the runs I do already. I'm just trying to keep from heating up too my and my lower legs giving out. Course it will be chilly so that will help a lot. You guys have encouraged even more, and I will be signing up today. I just wasn't sure if it seemed too far fetched to even give it ago yet, but I want to, and have some good advice here, and will feel confident no matter if I end up walking some of it or not. :)

I'm glad you got to the point of signing up before I saw this. Just wanted to say, since you aren't trained as well as you'd like, treat the 5K as a training run. Don't try for a personal best, and don't try to run the whole thing. Stay within your training plan to the extent the distance lets you. Walk enough so that you can run the parts of the race you really want to run. Want to run that bridge? Then walk enough before and after the bridge that you can run it. Or if you want to stop for a selfie on the bridge, get that selfie.

There will be other 5K's when you've trained up to the distance. You can race another day. But don't let the fact that you need to treat this one as a training run keep you from participation in an event you really, really want to do.
  • Becky_44
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I got signed up last night!
    judejud98 wrote: »
    i think u should tried it ..
    i weight 90 kg but i finish 10k run in just 1 hour. dont stop when u feel pain but stop when u done. do ur
    best.

• Becky_44
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I'm glad you got to the point of signing up before I saw this. Just wanted to say, since you aren't trained as well as you'd like, treat the 5K as a training run. Don't try for a personal best, and don't try to run the whole thing. Stay within your training plan to the extent the distance lets you. Walk enough so that you can run the parts of the race you really want to run. Want to run that bridge? Then walk enough before and after the bridge that you can run it. Or if you want to stop for a selfie on the bridge, get that selfie.

There will be other 5K's when you've trained up to the distance. You can race another day. But don't let the fact that you need to treat this one as a training run keep you from participation in an event you really, really want to do.

Thank you! It was a big step for me to go ahead and get registered, I'm extremely excited now. I was thinking similar to what you said, I can just do that days C25k, and if I get more out of it then that great, if not it will be an achievement just doing that days run on the pavement and all!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Thank you! It was a big step for me to go ahead and get registered, I'm extremely excited now. I was thinking similar to what you said, I can just do that days C25k, and if I get more out of it then that great, if not it will be an achievement just doing that days run on the pavement and all!
    Take it easy with your injuries though and walk where needed. When I ran a marathon I passed many injured runners on the side of the road who couldn't finish but looked to be in much better shape than me. I jogged slowly but finished the race. Go your own pace and listen to your body (and your feet).
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm doing c25 right now, I am on week 5. I think your pretty inspirational for doing this and wish I could do this. I am planning on entering in the spring (by then I will be on the 10k training program). I am also a type 2 diabetic that struggles with keeping my sugars from bottoming out. But I figure if I can do this anyone can. Keep up the great work!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking the first 2 miles (speed walk) then run the last bit. Good for you for doing all this!
  • Becky_44
    Options
    winnie141 wrote: »
    I'm doing c25 right now, I am on week 5. I think your pretty inspirational for doing this and wish I could do this. I am planning on entering in the spring (by then I will be on the 10k training program). I am also a type 2 diabetic that struggles with keeping my sugars from bottoming out. But I figure if I can do this anyone can. Keep up the great work!

Thank you! I know there are so many people that do this stuff with many more or worse issues than I have and that's what keeps me from giving up! :)
  • Becky_44
    Options
    I agree with walking the first 2 miles (speed walk) then run the last bit. Good for you for doing all this!

Thank you! I'm planning on walking 1 mile at most, but I found out last night the temp will be just under freezing still by the time it starts. I love running in cool weather, but never have that cold, I have to find warm stuff to wear, at least for my head anyways, so we will see how that affects my running.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 of C25K and I ran/walked a 10km fun run two weeks ago.

You sound very well prepared to do your best but not push too hard. Go you!
  • Becky_44
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm on Week 7 of C25K and I ran/walked a 10km fun run two weeks ago.

You sound very well prepared to do your best but not push too hard. Go you!

Thank you! Wtg yourself!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you plan on doing more of these road races, I would suggest after you complete your 5K try to get some outdoor running in. Running on the treadmill won't build up the physical base that you will need.

You are succeptable to injury. So start on a soft trail path and work your way to black pavement.
    Start slow on the outdoor (walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit...) and run at a slow pace. Should be a conversational pace.
    Once you get used to the outdoor running, your body will be more stronger and will tolerate the road races.

Make sure you got some good running shoes too. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you'll do great. The challenge is to do this in a way that does not put you back later. It's fine and dandy to say "start with walking" which is what I always do on my runs at home, but on race day, everyone shoots out of the gate! So I suggest doing an early morning walk at home for ten minutes to warm up, and run the first minute of the race. Then go to the walk.

I have settled in to a 1-and-3 ratio, one minute walking to running for three that seems to keep me going without over-straining anything.
  • Becky_44
    Options
    Thanks Stan!
    I know it's probably crazy thinking maybe I can do it. But it is a Walk/Run, so if I walk half then I won't be out of place. I figure if I can do what I'm doing now, out there it will be a great achievement. I have only been a couple months from running on the road, it just hasn't been a full 5k, in over a year. But I do plan on getting back out there, when I complete this round of C25k. I had no idea we had Thanksgiving runs here, so I recently found that out. I know, no matter how it goes it will only make me want it even more and to get back out as soon as I can. Just registering was a huge step for me, and I have laid at night the last two nights nervous about it. Though I don't know why, I have walked and rode bike down there a bazillion times but I think the crowd, that will be the hardest part for me. I usually stay away from crowds.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    If you plan on doing more of these road races, I would suggest after you complete your 5K try to get some outdoor running in. Running on the treadmill won't build up the physical base that you will need.

You are succeptable to injury. So start on a soft trail path and work your way to black pavement.
    Start slow on the outdoor (walk a bit, run a bit, walk a bit...) and run at a slow pace. Should be a conversational pace.
    Once you get used to the outdoor running, your body will be more stronger and will tolerate the road races.

Make sure you got some good running shoes too. Good luck!
  • Becky_44
    Options
    Thank you!
    It is a walk/run, so there will be walkers as well. I'm sure though, that I will be so excited that I will have to start out running, and get over the bridge, that's my main goal is running over the bridge.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you'll do great. The challenge is to do this in a way that does not put you back later. It's fine and dandy to say "start with walking" which is what I always do on my runs at home, but on race day, everyone shoots out of the gate! So I suggest doing an early morning walk at home for ten minutes to warm up, and run the first minute of the race. Then go to the walk.

I have settled in to a 1-and-3 ratio, one minute walking to running for three that seems to keep me going without over-straining anything.