Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    i tried avocado on toast today... I thought it was ok... my avocado had a dark yellowish brown tint to it with very little green... it didn't look right but still don't know exactly what is supposed to look like.

Are you talking about the interior flesh or the outer skin?
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A little salt and pepper go a long way with bringing the flavor out of an avocado. It can taste bland if not. The creamy texture adds to smoothies too
  • Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mashed with feta on sourdough. Topped with poached egg is extra good.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    thanks for the video and pics. my avocado was overripe.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    thanks for the video and pics. my avocado was overripe.

Not good when overripe. Yuck.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I use avocado in my tuna, chicken and egg salad, I make avocado salsa to go over fish and cilantro lime chicken, guacamole is our favorite snack food and we also put it on homemade kale turkey burgers, I make avocado baked eggs, eat them plain and chopped up with poached eggs on top, or some tuna, cherry tomatoes and cheese. I also make a Mexican soup that I add avocado to, also a paste to add to pasta or zucchini zoodles to make them creamy, the list goes on. Avocado is my go to food. They also go really nice with Mexican baked eggs, so good.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I like making avocado egg salad. I use a pastry blender (or you could use a fork) to mash avocado and hard boiled eggs together add a squeeze of lemon juice while mashing. Stir in diced veggies and top with sriracha.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I mash it up and add tuna with salt and pepper. Put that on a whole wheat English muffin with some fresh spinach. It's tasty, filling and nutritious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I like it in a sandwich with a fried egg or with tunafish.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I would happily just slice one up and eat it to be honest. But I tend to put them sliced into burritos or fajitas instead of guacamole, or I have them mashed on wholemeal toast with a poached egg. Mmmm....
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i will try again - i never used to get excited about going to the grocery store but MFP and my diet, I look forward to it...
  • queenliz99
    Options
    i will try again - i never used to get excited about going to the grocery store but MFP and my diet, I look forward to it...

Pick avocados green and have them ripen at home. When they are dark then they should be ready. Picking ripe avocados at the store can be tricky. People like to squeeze them for ripeness which ruins them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Toast, cottage cheese, sliced avocado and tomato

Bacon avocado tomato on baguette
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I like making avocado egg salad. I use a pastry blender (or you could use a fork) to mash avocado and hard boiled eggs together add a squeeze of lemon juice while mashing. Stir in diced veggies and top with sriracha.

This sounds incredible.