To gorge or not to gorge... that is the question!!

2»

Replies

• MsTeaLady
    MsTeaLady Posts: 11 Member
    Gorge. Then make sure to note how your body feels. I'll stuff my face here and there (especially on pizza or seafood), but then the discomfort makes me not want to do it again for a while...Until I forget, then eat one slice too many again. (I can't handle 3 but I always try.)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Dieting and then gorging is never a good idea. It can start you down the path to an eating disorder. Not to mention that gorging can make you very uncomfortable in the short term. ;)

Instead I'd suggest allowing yourself the flexibility to have more calories now and then. Many people plan a weekly cheat meal or cheat day. I don't know that thinking of "cheats" is a mentally healthy approach, either. But allowing yourself some flexibility? Yeah, that's a good thing IMO.

A maintenance day is good too. That way you don't undo any of your hard work.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    ... I had a serving and put the rest away, telling myself I can have more in 30 minutes if I felt like it...
    Therefore, there is no food I will refrain from eating ... I just attach a few conditions on it in order to eat it

I really like this! I struggle with the desire to eat more than one Double Decker at a time and the desire often wins. I know what it will do to me, I know I won't be happy the next day, but there is some petulant part of me that says I am an adult, I reached a healthy weight and I can eat what I want. Next time, I am going to try to attach some conditions and see if that helps. Thanks!

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I recently made some tiramisu, just because, and I truly wanted to gorge on it - eat the whole friggin pan! However, I did not tell myself no. Instead, I had a serving and put the rest away, telling myself I can have more in 30 minutes if I felt like it. Then I got busy and forgot all about it. I use diversions often and don't tell myself no. Those times I tell myself no? I start to obsess about that particular food and then I will gorge on it and feel ashamed later. Therefore, there is no food I will refrain from eating ... I just attach a few conditions on it in order to eat it. Yeah, it's a weird approach but it works for me.

Nice! I do the same thing! It so empowering to realize the power of word choice and the power of the brain. I realized that I used to eat as though it was the last time I'd ever get the chance to eat whatever it was I wanted. In telling myself that I can have a serving or two over the next couple days or weeks, and actually fitting in those servings into my daily meal plans, I no longer feel the need to eat multiple servings at once. Adding conditions to food truly has been a successful weight control strategy.