Question for lifters

Options
So I recently starting lifting and am loving it. Trying hard to keep adding on the weights.

Really pushed it this morning at the gym and really loved it, I am usually pushed for time but have a day off so made the most of it.

A little while back I noticed my hands felt sore and have two kind of hard skin blisters on each hand. (photo below)

Am I gripping the bar wrong or something? Or is it just a side effect of using heavier weights? Is this why people wear gloves?

IMAG0609_zps36e79e0f.jpg

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I d swear blind that was a young males right hand !!!!

Spend some money and buy some gloves.!!!
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal to get callouses with heavy weights. You can use gloves to counter this. Personally I want a very strong grip so I don't use gloves. I use one of those feet grating thingy's (!) and grate them off but they're still rough. I should imagine most woman don't want rough hands so the gloves are the best option.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    They are called calluses and they are a very helpful thing. My suggestion learn to take care of them properly and use chalk for things like pull ups and chin ups.

Smooth them down with a pumice stone in the shower on a pretty regular basis and keep your hands moisturized. Well taken care of calluses aren't rough at all.
  • _Moose51_
    _Moose51_ Posts: 86
    Options
    It's certainly common, try using gloves but I don't like them because it is a weird grip for me. Take it as a badge of honor, and use lotion... :)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yeap, i get them on both hands (ring finger only), but gloves help. Also, well keep the skin well moisturized to help repair the damage.

Or as me hubs says, he gets "used to them" - and his hands are so callused it's damn scary. :frown:
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Those are the beginning of callouses. Save your money, don't buy gloves. You don't want anything effecting the stability between you and the bar. Work on grip strength. If you're not white knuckled, you're not squeezing the bar enough. The callouses are from the bar pinching/pulling/shifting against your skin. Squeeze harder and the bar doesn't move. Either way you will get callouses from lifting. If they get big and annoying, soak your hands and file them down with an emery board.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    man up
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Blisters are normal and will turn to callouses eventually. It's a result of 1) weight and 2) the knurling on the barbell. You can A) use chalk, B) tape your hands, C) by good gloves, or D) suck it up and learn to take care of your new lifter hands. LOL

Lotion and callous care are the usual remedies. There's tons of articles on hand care for lifters. Google it.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    ETA: Went back and read the responses...it was already covered. Oops.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Aw, look at those baby callouses!! I have them too, and they develop more and more the heavier my weights get. Take care of them, they'll help your grip. Use a pumice stone and keep your skin moisturized, and take care not to tear them (chalk comes in handy).

If you really hate them you can use gloves but as a pp said it will affect your grip negatively.

As far as women not wanting rough hands, that's not really true so don't worry about it. I like the callouses and I'm sure I'm not the only one. ;)
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I don't really mind having rough hands, it's not a problem. Just wanted to make sure it was the norm and not caused by me gripping the bar wrong. I'll try the suggestion of gripping tighter to stop the bar moving as much, but otherwise I'll wear my new lifter badge with pride lol.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    LOL, guess this thread shows just how new to lifting I really am :)
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You'll always get calluses from lifting, but to prevent calluses from becoming problematic (hurting/bleeding) you should grip the bar correctly:

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

In essence, putting the bar/handle on the middle of the palm (jamming it between your index and thumb) during pulling exercises is what causes the area to get pinched. The grip is perfectly fine for pushing exercises like the bench press or overhead presses, but for pulling exercises you want the bar further down on the palm as shown in the second image.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Give them time and they'll get tougher. I have three areas of my hand with callouses: one row where my fingers meet my hand, one row about .5" lower where I rest the bar for OHP and bench, and one on my second knuckle on my index finger from dead lift.

Oh, and oly lifts can cause even more because the bar shifts around in your hands more.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Wear gloves.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's certainly common, try using gloves but I don't like them because it is a weird grip for me. Take it as a badge of honor, and use lotion... :)

^This. I don't use gloves either because it messes with my grip. I have some liquid chalk though, which helps.

Calluses are awesome. I love mine, lol! I lotion my hands quite a bit, so you can't see them, but you can definitely feel them. They are proof of my awesomeness.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You'll always get calluses from lifting, but to prevent calluses from becoming problematic (hurting/bleeding) you should grip the bar correctly:

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

In essence, putting the bar/handle on the middle of the palm (jamming it between your index and thumb) during pulling exercises is what causes the area to get pinched. The grip is perfectly fine for pushing exercises like the bench press or overhead presses, but for pulling exercises you want the bar further down on the palm as shown in the second image.

this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

This^^^ Learn a proper grip...when you do, gloves are not really necessary.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options

The wrong way:
    callus-grip.jpg

The right way:
    good-grip.jpg

sweet post.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Alas, if you use gloves you'll lose strength. Grip the bar as hard as you can, always. If you'd like to reduce calluses / blisters try clapping your hands together hard here and there. It stimulates blood flow and may help.

*edited for my inability to spell*