Gaining Lean Muscle

Options
Just curious if intermittent fasting could work for this? Not that 5;2 thing but when you only eat between certain times. A lost alot of weight doing this but was wondering if its a suitable way to gain muscle as long as you eat enough calories and protein? Anyone doing this and couldn't do this 6 meals a day thing am more have one big meal and say a wee thing type of guy. Also would you say its worthwhile getting protein shakes and bars etc or its eating say beans or chicken just as good? If its the shakes anyone that are best for beginners or what should beginners buy. I'm 5ft 11 19, Roughly 130 but I've been eating 4000 cal a day as a just started anorexia recovery I was at 188 3 weeks ago so I have been gaining rapidly but that's expected with the volume of food but thought as I'm consuming all these extra cal then could do some strength training. Basically. Would if work? Are protein bars and shakes beneficial compared to chicken breast? And what should a beginner buy who's not looking to get huge just gain some lean muscle. Any advice no matter whether it is criticizing me or helping me will be beneficial as I appreciate use guys even helping so thanks for any and all the help. Lastly even though I mentioned am in recovery and eating 4000 a day a would guess my maintenance is 2000, always use sedentary and then add whatever exercise a do on top. How many cal should I eat for a lean "bulk"? Really new to this so literally any help is appreciated. Ano alot of you guys know about this. Watch all these Americans on you tube but there aren't as many British/Scottish so its harder to find the products etc but again am new to this so any advice will be great and help me advance no matter how small. Thanks guys. Repeated myself like 3 times lol

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what is lean muscle? I am aware of one type of muscle.

To answer your question what you need to gain muscle is a calorie surplus, a structured heavy lifting program with progressive overload built into it, and macro adherence.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Just curious if intermittent fasting could work for this? Not that 5;2 thing but when you only eat between certain times. A lost alot of weight doing this but was wondering if its a suitable way to gain muscle as long as you eat enough calories and protein? Yes, IF can work for bulking as calories (followed by macro breakdown) are most important when it comes to gaining weight. However, it is just an eating protocol to aid you in greater adherence to overall diet and personal preference. Make sure you take in food post workout.

Anyone doing this and couldn't do this 6 meals a day thing am more have one big meal and say a wee thing type of guy. Also would you say its worthwhile getting protein shakes and bars etc or its eating say beans or chicken just as good? Prioritize nutrient dense whole foods, but shakes and bars are fine to fill in the gaps.

If its the shakes anyone that are best for beginners or what should beginners buy. Just find a reputable brand, there is no "best", especially for a certain level of training.

I'm 5ft 11 19, Roughly 130 but I've been eating 4000 cal a day as a just started anorexia recovery I was at 188 3 weeks ago so I have been gaining rapidly but that's expected with the volume of food but thought as I'm consuming all these extra cal then could do some strength training. Wait, you gained 58 lbs in 3 weeks?

Basically. Would if work? Strength training would be beneficial if your goal is to get bigger and stronger...

Are protein bars and shakes beneficial compared to chicken breast? Depends on overall diet

And what should a beginner buy who's not looking to get huge just gain some lean muscle. Food and a gym membership

Any advice no matter whether it is criticizing me or helping me will be beneficial as I appreciate use guys even helping so thanks for any and all the help. Lastly even though I mentioned am in recovery and eating 4000 a day a would guess my maintenance is 2000, always use sedentary and then add whatever exercise a do on top. How many cal should I eat for a lean "bulk"? 100-500 calorie surplus, lower end may blend into maintenance though

Really new to this so literally any help is appreciated. Ano alot of you guys know about this. Watch all these Americans on you tube but there aren't as many British/Scottish so its harder to find the products etc but again am new to this so any advice will be great and help me advance no matter how small. Thanks guys. Repeated myself like 3 times lol. Most YouTube fitness channels suck.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Eat. Lift progressively. Wait.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Eat. Lift progressively.
    Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat.

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Eat. Lift progressively.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat.

You know people come in here for real advice and they constantly get this bland and redundant information from you two.......... :trollface:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Eat. Lift progressively.
    Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat.

You know people come in here for real advice and they constantly get this bland and redundant information from you two.......... :trollface:

story of my life- being bland and redundant ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just curious if intermittent fasting could work for this? Not that 5;2 thing but when you only eat between certain times. A lost alot of weight doing this but was wondering if its a suitable way to gain muscle as long as you eat enough calories and protein? Anyone doing this and couldn't do this 6 meals a day thing am more have one big meal and say a wee thing type of guy. Also would you say its worthwhile getting protein shakes and bars etc or its eating say beans or chicken just as good? If its the shakes anyone that are best for beginners or what should beginners buy. I'm 5ft 11 19, Roughly 130 but I've been eating 4000 cal a day as a just started anorexia recovery I was at 188 3 weeks ago so I have been gaining rapidly but that's expected with the volume of food but thought as I'm consuming all these extra cal then could do some strength training. Basically. Would if work? Are protein bars and shakes beneficial compared to chicken breast? And what should a beginner buy who's not looking to get huge just gain some lean muscle. Any advice no matter whether it is criticizing me or helping me will be beneficial as I appreciate use guys even helping so thanks for any and all the help. Lastly even though I mentioned am in recovery and eating 4000 a day a would guess my maintenance is 2000, always use sedentary and then add whatever exercise a do on top. How many cal should I eat for a lean "bulk"? Really new to this so literally any help is appreciated. Ano alot of you guys know about this. Watch all these Americans on you tube but there aren't as many British/Scottish so its harder to find the products etc but again am new to this so any advice will be great and help me advance no matter how small. Thanks guys. Repeated myself like 3 times lol

Are you working with any therapists/medical professionals during recovery?

If so, I would run this by them. Physiologically it's fine to IF (although you could make an argument for it being sub optimal for maximal muscle accretion) but I'd honestly wonder if that's not a good idea for someone recovering from an eating disorder.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    As others have said, eat at surplus and lift heavy. Nothing else to talk about.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Are you working with any therapists/medical professionals during recovery?

If so, I would run this by them. Physiologically it's fine to IF (although you could make an argument for it being sub optimal for maximal muscle accretion) but I'd honestly wonder if that's not a good idea for someone recovering from an eating disorder.

I believe treatment teams typically recommend avoiding IF because it can trigger previous bad habits. OP, definition talk to your recovery team.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi Brian,

As you are in recovery - you should not be thinking about just gaining lean muscle - you need to be ok with gaining weight, in general. There are a couple of traps that occur when gaining - the thought that gaining only lean will occur or that eating in a special way or exercising in a special way will result in being happy with your body. Work on acceptance of your future self - whatever that may be.

Once you are at a stable and acceptable weight - yes you can certainly work on gaining muscle mass - but first work on accepting that certain parts are squishy, that some fat is necessary and healthy. Understand that all weight gain is achieved with a little fat gain.

Gaining muscle is a long term endeavour, it is slow and takes eating slightly above maintenance and working out. Adding physical stress to your existing muscles to push them to grow. But, please be careful that you don't replace the eating disorder with an exercise disorder. Please discuss your exercise project and self development, body awareness with your recovery/treatment team.

Intermittent Fasting is probably a bad choice in recovery. It mimics calorie restriction and dietary limitations that are common in anorexia. You want to stay away from that - and it has no specific value for you in a bulking program. Given that you are already eating calories to gain - just add on resistance training of some sort.

In your case, recovery, gaining weight and trying to train:

The frequency of meals doesn't matter.
    The source of protein doesn't matter. (Just make sure you eat with some variety, get all your nutrients)

Good luck.
  • steventaylor949
    steventaylor949 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've went to the other end of the scale and now your getting way too much calories. If you've put on 33lb in 3 weeks it's all fat. And with your eating disorder I dunno if IF would be okay? Don't worry about macros if your a begginer to lifting you'll see gains pretty quick if your in a calorie surplus and getting plenty proteins fats and carbs, I'd recommend about 2800 calories a day if your 180lb that's what I am. 4000 is WAY too much Bro, good luck hope all goes well.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Fuark, I didn't even catch the recovery part in my initial read through -.-
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Eat. Lift progressively.
    Lather
    Rinse
    Repeat.

It can't be the truth. It's not flashy OR exciting! :p