Weigh ins

What is the recommended frequency of weigh ins? Weekly? Daily? Monthly?? I've heard all kinds of things.

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    It's a personal preference. Weigh in as often or as little as you feel comfortable. Personally I do best with weighing myself daily.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    When I feel thinner, its weigh in day!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2015
    Consistency is more important than frequency. Same time, same conditions (many will do it first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking, with the same amount of clothing). Some people are comfortable weighing every day, others get rattled by the fluctuations so they go weekly or less often.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Because i'm on medication and within my first three months back my doctor wants daily right after the restroom before i get dressed weights. So yeah most people keep telling me i need to stop weighing daily but i can't. I like it actually. It tells me which foods have a bigger affect on the sodium level and if my body thinks i drank enough the day before.
  • purebells
    purebells Posts: 83 Member
    I weigh most days and record in Libra , but my official MFP weigh in , is once a week.
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Thanks guys I think going to try same time of the day and first thing in the a.m. Every week maybe twice a week. I think if get discouraged if I did daily
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Consistency is more important than frequency. Same time, same conditions (many will do it first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking, with the same amount of clothing). Some people are comfortable weighing every day, others get rattled by the fluctuations so they go weekly or less often.

Basically this.

I seemed to notice a link between people freaking out over weight gain and losses and people who weight themselves once a day or more.

But once a day or once a month it doesn't matter as long as you understand you body weight fluctuates for many reasons other than fat gain or loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Weigh daily, record weekly.
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Ooh good idea!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Totally up to you :]

Weighing daily for me was a bit OTT.
    Weekly was adequate.

Now I'm set up to lose EXTREEEEMELY slowly, so I weigh in probably once a month.
    Completely personal preference :)
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    I weigh daily and the fluctuations can be really remarkable, it used to freak me so I set up a chart that has a trend line function (any spreadsheet software does this). So long as that trend line is going down into the future the ups and downs don't worry me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Up to you

Me I like numbers and graphs

I weigh daily (there are exceptions) - I log on MFP which automatically feeds through to fitbit and then to trendweight.com and every so often I check in on my trend graph on trendweight

So weights are evened out across 2 - 3 months and there's a trend extrapolation and I know if I'm generally within my comfort zone of 5lbs to goal weight
  • martinvares
    martinvares Posts: 9 Member
    I don't know if it's a good system, but since I'm an engineer I like to over complicate things :D

I weigh every morning after restroom and shower. BUT I record a new weight on MFP ONLY if I weigh less than on previous MFP record on two consecutive days.
    This has proven to be quite nice for me, because it evens out fluctuations and keeps me on the track without discouraging me :)