Not consuming all the alloted calories

Options
I am not consuming all the calories alloted to me but I do not ever feel hungry. I am still losing weight and want to know if it ok that I don't eat all the calories. Please look at my logs and see if I am eating enough.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I think if you have to ask that question, then you already know the answer. Aside from the low calorie intake the thing that struck me was you're really low on protein and really high on sodium. What you're doing now is not sustainable or healthy. I can't imagine eating that little amount of protein on that little amount of calories and not being hungry...I'd be ravenous.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Your diary alone wouldn't be enough for anyone to give specific advice. Your height, current weight, age, and activity level are all relevant. Bare minimum for an average male is 1500 calories, but your individual stats may indicate you should eat more.

If your calorie goal is assuming a 2lb/wk deficit and you are consistently undereating significantly below that, then you are probably losing more lean body mass than would be good for you.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're measuring in cups, which are inaccurate, so really you have no idea how many calories you're really consuming.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    I think if you have to ask that question, then you already know the answer. Aside from the low calorie intake the thing that struck me was you're really low on protein and really high on sodium. What you're doing now is not sustainable or healthy. I can't imagine eating that little amount of protein on that little amount of calories and not being hungry...I'd be ravenous.

I don't know that's why I asked. What are some good light snacks that are high in protein?
  • Getty59
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're measuring in cups, which are inaccurate, so really you have no idea how many calories you're really consuming.

Do u have any advice on a cheap but good food scale? Please remember I am new to this.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Getty59 wrote: »

Do u have any advice on a cheap but good food scale? Please remember I am new to this.

Almost any electronic scale is fine. Taylor and Oxo have many models, go to Target and pick one.
  • Getty59
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Almost any electronic scale is fine. Taylor and Oxo have many models, go to Target and pick one.

Cool thanks. One more question how often should i update my weight?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Walmart has them for about 10-15$. It makes a HUGE difference.
    Great snacks for protein are:
    Greek yogurt, cheese, hard boiled eggs, meat, did I say meat? :smiley:
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Personally, I prefer frequent weigh-ins. MFP is supposed to update your calorie goals as you lose (something like every 10-20 lbs, but I'm not sure which). If you use the built-in weight logging on MFP, it's straightforward.

Also, the "Helpful posts" sticky at the top of this board has a lot of Helpful Posts (and some less helpful...but it is what it is). The calorie counting 101 and accurate logging posts are a great start for beginners.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260537/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

I don't know that's why I asked. What are some good light snacks that are high in protein?

1500 cal/day is the bare minimum for men...of course age, height, weight all affect this number it's not one size fits all. This doesn't include the exercise you do either, most people here eat back 25-50% of their exercise calories.

greek yoghurt
    eggs
    nuts
    nut butters
    fish
    beef jerky
    protein bars
    protein shakes
    beans
    chick peas (blended with tahini = hummus)
    baked chicken
    ....these are just some examples of light high protein foods

• Getty59
    Options

1500 cal/day is the bare minimum for men...of course age, height, weight all affect this number it's not one size fits all. This doesn't include the exercise you do either, most people here eat back 25-50% of their exercise calories.

greek yoghurt
    eggs
    nuts
    nut butters
    fish
    beef jerky
    protein bars
    protein shakes
    beans
    chick peas (blended with tahini = hummus)
    baked chicken
    ....these are just some examples of light high protein foods

Thanks for the list. The thing is the only meal I "eyeball it" is dinner I always look at protein bars at the store and think man those are high in calories and think I better stick with the Luna bar i get because I know that I "eyeball it" at dinner that way if in don't get it right I known will be under in calories.