What do you guys do to stop yourself from eating when you aren't hungry?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Save some calories for a snack and eat it really slowly!
    Exercise will power and just say "NO", and mean it!
    Call it a day, go to bed.
    Remind myself how hard I worked all day to do the right thing and how bad I'll feel after I ruin my plan.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I keep myself busy.

I also save calories for an evening snack everyday. When I find that I'm thinking about eating when I'm not hungry, I plan my snack. Planning how I'm going to spend those calories can be pretty fun.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Play video games. Hard to eat when hands are being occupied.

Or paint your nails ... not easy to fix snacks with wet nail polish. :grin:

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't tend to eat or want to eat when I'm physically not hungry...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Drink a cup of your favourite tea

Regarding tea, I've found that lemon ginger works quite well to ease that gnawing pain in the stomach I mistake for hunger.

• firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    baby carrots! I bought those 1 lb bags. When I'm an emotional eater. I'm trying to overcome it but I still have problem. So baby carrots, sweet and crunchy and it's good for you!!!!
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    • I drink (sip on) a bottle of water
    • Brush my teeth
    • Take a hot bath
    • Do some core workouts (abs)
    • Get on MFP and read motivational threads
  • ritzbits190
    ritzbits190 Posts: 36 Member
    rkcampbell wrote: »
    I drink hot tea. It fills me up and I have to drink it slowly. Usually the craving is gone by the time I'm finished.

^this
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    lots of water and the more I move the less I eat.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I get up and move.

I chase Lis. She hates my furry coat.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Same here I'm starving at nights! Not sure what to do)=
  • Qriss644
    Qriss644 Posts: 26 Member
    I broke down and found some mild appetite suppressants. That doesn't do it all, I have found that exercise...or just moving-walk to the store, mailbox etc beats it down. A steady regiment of exercise actually takes care of most half the day, morning and evening are the only times I eat. If I am truly hungry, like headache hungry...I get a celery stick and cream cheese...that takes off the edge. It isn't easy, I became a boredom eater...it can rule your life if you let it, but you are stronger than that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Take up a yoga practice.
    It will improve your life in so many ways ESPECIALLY with regard to mind / body awareness.
    You will feel more connective to your emotions.
    Look up deep breathing techniques on YouTube to start :)
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    I either drink water or try to get out of my apartment and go to my university or my studio to paint, but sometimes I cave and I just log it and move on and just have a slightly higher deficit for the rest of the week.
  • I try to eat filling foods and tell myself in my head when I'm tempted to eat more if I'm not really hungry that I have eaten enough and that it will all be worth it in the end. I try to distract myself with tv and playing games on my phone too
  • RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2015
    Sex is a great distraction. Just saying
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    ruthtruman wrote: »
    I walk instead... By the end of every week for 6 months now, I've logged over 5 miles a day on my Fitbit.

Just curious... how long does it take you to hit that 5mi/day?
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    I too drink tea, plus I do cross stitch and have a colouring book. I find it difficult to just sit in front of the tv, my minds always wonders to food! :-)
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Soopatt wrote: »
    "... (like when I did a week long bike trip where I was eating all the time, as I needed the calories)"
    Color me jealous! Wish I had a week to give up for a bike trek! (The Appalachian Trail is so seductive!)

When I first started this I let myself eat raw veggies when I felt the urge to snack, but nothing else, and I realized I wasn't really hungry within a few days and stopped feeling that urge to eat. Then I started just walking around a little or getting coffee (black) or water or writing a little bit about why I wanted to eat (or even just planning a dinner based on what tastes I thought I wanted).

And THIS is a perfect solution to habit munching! carrots, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, wasabi pods, etc. These are perfect munchie foods because they are very low in calories and high in nutrients and fiber to help you feel full enough to serve as a reminder not to eat more! Don't know I would recommend the coffee, though. It can dehydrate you and actually make you feel even more hungry! (weird, huh?)
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    I've been surprised with how a big glass of ice water can curb my instinct to mindlessly snack.

Ditto for me!