Filling up with protein shakes

Options
I have a high protein shake that is only 132 calories per serving. If I was to have only one meal per day and use the rest of my calories in protein shakes, could this benefit me at all? I am not looking to stop eating carbs. TIA!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Are using water in your protein shake or milk? How many calories do you intend your one meal per day to be?

If using water in your protein shake..that's a lot of shake to make up your daily calories.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Although there is no harm in drinking protein shakes. I do when I am low on protein for the day, If you use them for meal replacements you could be missing some important micronutrients; vitamins and minerals.

Eating at a deficit is all you need to lose weight.

Eating food for your calories, (you can eat anything as long as you are at your deficit), instead of drinking them, will help you learn portion control so when you have lost the weight you will have a better idea of how to eat to keep it off.
    Drinking your calories would not.

Cheers, h.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    How many shakes are we talking per day? Too much whey protein can be difficult to digest for some people. And how are you going to ensure you meet your macro ratios/get all the nutrients you need? I'm not sure what you mean when you ask can it benefit you - do you mean nutritionally or in terms of helping you to lose weight? As others have said, a healthy and balanced diet would be the most beneficial way to go and will help develop better habits for the long-term. There's nothing wrong with protein shakes per se, a lot of us use them when we'd be otherwise short on protein that day or post-workout. But I wouldn't rely on them as meal replacement.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You might not need to be drinking protein supplements all day. There's a little bit of protein in just about anything, like veggies and fruits...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That one meal a day would have to be spectacularly well thought out to provide all the macro and micro nutrients and fibre you need for a healthy diet. All the good stuff you get from a varied diet.

Protein shakes are a useful tool for supplementing your normal food if you struggle to reach an appropriate protein goal. That's it - no magic for either weight loss or muscle building.

Also sounds pretty miserable and anti-social.

My biggest objection would be that if your plan worked you would have learned nothing about food choices and portion control which are the skills you need to maintain a healthy weight for the long term.