Women: How to regain period after weightloss.

Options
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to know if you guys lost your periods now or in the past due to straineous weightloss, accidental undereating, overtraining etc.
If you have how did you get it back and regulate it? Any advice?

I was accidentally undereating for a while and I havent had my period in 2 months. So since yesterday Ive been overeating in hopes of getting my period xD

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Advice...yes

Eat enough and it will return..after some time..or long time. All depends

95069916.png
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You'll have to put some weight back on. Losing your period is a sign that you're underweight.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    No, you don't have to be underweight to lose your period. Many times it is due to losing weight too quickly. You could try eating at a maintenance and give yourself a couple cycles to see if you reregulate. Are you at a healthy bmi and body fat percentage?

Yes! I have a bmi of 19 and according to fat calculators im 21-23% bf.
    I eat pretty healthy but like i said i was miscalculating my calories in vs out and so i was accidentally under eating.
    Im gonna raise my maintenance calories and see what happens :3
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The best way is to start reverse dieting

By adding in 50 cals a week in the form of carbs and fats. If you gain no weight or even lose weight add 50 more cals the next week. If you gain weight stay on the same amount of cals and macro's untill you mantain again (or even lose weight). Add 50 cals more the next week, so on untill you hit your maximum cal intake. This will be a blessing for your matabolic rate and yourself. It will take some willpower to pull it of but the results will be awesome. You will look about the same or even leaner while being able to eat more calories a day. In return you will also restore your hormone level because you added in more fats and callories so you body will start to function normal again.

Check out layne norton reverse dieting to learn more
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    a BMI of 19, with your periods affected, is too low for your body

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    IME (and I do have experience in this!) you will need to regain some weight. How much is anybody's guess. It doesn't matter where you fall on the BMI scale or what your body fat percentage is. Your body doesn't care about that. It knows what's right (or not) for it.

If you don't get a period in the next month or so you really need to see a gynecologist. There are some rather serious health risks from amenorrhea.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eating more will help. Once you do that, you just need to remain patient and it will come.

I lose my period for a month or two pretty much every time I cut my calories by 250+. It's not always a sign of being underweight (I'm definitely not) but at your size it is a possible cause. Another possible cause is insufficient dietary fat. Be sure you are getting enough fat in your diet. Fats are imperative for proper hormonal functioning in women (probably men too but I really only know about women.) I suggest aiming for a minimum of .4g of fat per pound of bodyweight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    The best way is to start reverse dieting

By adding in 50 cals a week in the form of carbs and fats. If you gain no weight or even lose weight add 50 more cals the next week. If you gain weight stay on the same amount of cals and macro's untill you mantain again (or even lose weight). Add 50 cals more the next week, so on untill you hit your maximum cal intake. This will be a blessing for your matabolic rate and yourself. It will take some willpower to pull it of but the results will be awesome. You will look about the same or even leaner while being able to eat more calories a day. In return you will also restore your hormone level because you added in more fats and callories so you body will start to function normal again.

Check out layne norton reverse dieting to learn more

Without any knowledge of how severely she is undereating, this is not good advice. Suppose she's eating in the 1000-1200 calorie range, with a TDEE of 2400 or more, and is already in a situation that undereating, low body weight, or low BF% has caused her body to stop menstruating. Your advice would leave her in a deficit for roughly another six months before she would finally reach maintenance (except that she'd possibly be in the hospital by then because your advice would have her losing roughly another 24 lbs during the reverse dieting period, which is probably not a good idea for someone with a BMI of 19 who has already stopped menstruating). I don't know that that's the case, because she hasn't given us all her info, but it's certainly not a terribly wild extrapolation, based on the info she has given us.

That aside, Meianna Lee, have you considered other possible explanations for losing your period, such as pregnancy? (I can't believe no one has mentioned that one yet!)

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When some body serverly under eats for a long period of time, their bmr slows down too by a lot. So the normal TDEE doesn't count for these individual anymore, even so if you feel the need to do it faster then go ahead. But you got to remember that it takes time for your body to regain its health, there for you got to give it time. You can at up 200 cals a week if needed but anymore than that won't speed up the procces.

But it's up to you ofcourse
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long did you 'accidentally' under eat for?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    At 5 feet and weighing around 100 lbs you are at lower edge of healthy. I suspect your actual body fat percentage may be 20% or lower. Eat 1500-2000 calories, limit your aerobic training to 30 minutes a day, and continue with moderate strength training. If you fail to gain weight add more calories until your weight ranges fall into the 105-110 lb range. If you maintain at that range it may still take 6 months for your periods to resume.

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yeah, how does one do that? My BF "forget's" to eat.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    No, you don't have to be underweight to lose your period. Many times it is due to losing weight too quickly. You could try eating at a maintenance and give yourself a couple cycles to see if you reregulate. Are you at a healthy bmi and body fat percentage?

I eat pretty healthy but like i said i was miscalculating my calories in vs out and so i was accidentally under eating.

You have a BMI below 17, not 19, based on your profile, and a goal weight that will get you to a BMI of almost 15. You need to not only stop losing, but start gaining. For your height and based on losing your perios currently, I would think you need to gain about half the weight you half lost back. Aim for somewhere in the 120s.
    How many calories are you currently eating?
  • helterxxxskelter
    Options
    Add some fat to your diet. My period went away, and once I added more foods with a higher fat content, my period came back.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    MeiannaLee wrote: »

You have a BMI below 17, not 19, based on your profile, and a goal weight that will get you to a BMI of almost 15. You need to not only stop losing, but start gaining. For your height and based on losing your perios currently, I would think you need to gain about half the weight you half lost back. Aim for somewhere in the 120s.
    How many calories are you currently eating?

Maybe the OP has since changed her profile but from what I see, at 5 feet tall and 101 pounds, her BMI is 19.7...

ETA: I have lost my period due to strenuous exercise, but it only lasted for a couple of months (I changed my exercise routine very quickly and it was unsustainable). As was suggested, try raising your healthy fat intake. I would also suggest speaking to your doctor... at your age, lack of period is certainly worrisome...
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yeah, how does one do that? My BF "forget's" to eat.

Set alarms on your phone/computer/iPod/kitchen oven. I do it for my dessicated thyroid meds, it would work as well for food. Divide your required calorie intake by 2/3/5/however many meals you want to eat and divide that by your awake hours. Pack lunches, bring change to stop by the market and buy an apple and a tin of tuna for snacks, do what you have to do to maintain health!
  • molnardrea
    molnardrea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Around spring I lost 6 lbs on 1500 kcals. I didn't have my period for 4 months and I was weak and looked like a bird. Didn't want to move, wake up, go out. I wasn't bony or "lean" or anything. I still had quite a bit of fat everywhere. I decided to change it, stopped counting, started eating. Gained 4 lbs back and got my period and my life back. Just stop counting...Do what your body tells you. Eat when you are hungry, eat healthy food of course. Add in one more meal a day, to make sure you gain some back. Don't fear the gain. You gain strength, happiness and your period back eventually :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DOUBLE POST
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm currently seeing a dr. for this. I didn't lose it with weight loss, but since I started tri training with my coach this year, I haven't had one (20-25 hours per week of training, including steady state cardio, HIIT, and weights). Dr. is going to put me on a regimen including bc, calcium, and vitamin D to ensure that I remain healthy and able to continue with my training and get a period every 3 months. (fyi, I'm at a healthy weight, but considered underfat, and I eat a ton). And btw, I disagree that you need to regain weight. See a dr. My dr. said it wasn't uncommon for atheletes and just needs to be managed.