Tips on eating right anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    My tip on staying away from junk food: Don't buy it. I know it sounds like a smart-@$$ but it's true. If you don't have it to eat it, you won't be tempted. Other tip is to eat often and keep [healthy] snacks around so instead of snacking on a cookie or a hoho, you can snack on something like a granola bar or banana.

My tip for ensuring healthy meals: same thing, buy healthy options. Don't go to the supermarket hungry. And make sure you know what your buying. Not everything is actually good for you. Read labels.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

That is good advice - don't eat food that come in cans or boxes - buy meat, eggs and vegetables & fruit and make your meal from that - then bring some for lunch the next day- Drink water - carry a protein bar . an apple, nuts, veggies etc. with you to eat when you are hungry. Eastcoast im

It is awfully hard to get the eggs home from the store without a carton, isn't it?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you eat for nutrition thinking of all the foods you need to pack in to a meal, there's less room for other stuff. I especially work at getting a good protein/fat/carb combo in my breakfast, to set me off for the day. This morning it was a bran cereal and 1/8 cup leftover steel cut oats, soaked in milk with added cranberries and peanut butter.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here's a blog post I did about setting goals, including weight, calories, and macros
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

Within that is this calculator, from the Baylor College of Medicine.
    For any particular weight, it will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat
    to maintain that weight, depending on how active you are.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Plan for treats.
    Don't go overboard, but don't deprive yourself of what you like or you won't maintain this lifestyle change
    & weight loss for the rest of your life.
    Not buying unhealthy things is the easiest solution, but takes more willpower than I usually have.
    I've found that instead of buying a box of cookies, I can go to the bulk foods section and get just a few.
    I get cookies, there aren't too many in the house so I can't overindulge.
    And when I want chocolate, I get the good stuff and have a _little_. Or I have fat-free, sugar-free pudding,
    or frozen fudge pops in summer.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ecjim wrote: »
    My comments were to get you to think about what you are eating and make better choices - You do what you feel is right - Eastcoast Jim

How will eliminating things like crushed tomatoes and black beans from my diet (because they come in cans) get me to think about what I'm eating?

Your method is to adopt a rule that will arbitrarily eliminate foods based on packaging. It's the OPPOSITE of thinking about what I'm eating. If I'm thinking about what I'm eating, I'm looking at the nutritional content of a food and deciding if it fits in my plan. Rejecting foods based on the container that they come in may have me rejecting delicious foods that fit within my goals.

because anything in a can or box is bad...

I had no idea Y'all would get so worked up over my comment --
    The statement "Don't eat anything that comes in a can or box" came from Jack Lalanne - He was a fitness guru for many years -had a fitness TV show in the 1950' - yes, I watched it, I was around then, TV's were new. He died at 96 in 2011. He was in incredible physical condition, and performed some unbelievable physical feats - google Him - He had many other quotes , such as "If it is white don't bite" -" These 2 where not to be taken literally. He was a big proponent of eating fresh vegetables & fruit. The " white" refers to refined carbs - white bread -pasta- cake etc. The idea is to prepare your own meals from real, healthy ingredients, not prepackaged stuff. I realize we all will use some canned or packaged food. I just had a can of tuna on my salad, the spinach & greens came in a bag, and the olive oil came from a bottle. I use a protein powder. Jack Lalanne also sold a protein powder meal replacement and an instant breakfast.
    "The only way you get that fat off is to eat less and exercise more." another one of his quotes.
    Y'all have a Blessed and Joyous Thanksgiving. Eastcoast Jim