does anyone juice???? help!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    run4fun89 wrote: »
    We are using them as meal replacements but we are also keeping the pulp to use for things like in our veggie meatball etc. We still get 100% fiber. We're just trying to start getting more veggies in our diet. And we are in such a hurry for those.two meals that it's usually fast food or processed meals. :(

Maybe because you are a little bit hungry. I found juicing left me famished and really, really hungry. Protein really helps with keeping you full until the next meal. My 2 cents.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    While I have nothing against sugar, I couldn't imagine making a meal of it. It wouldn't be satisfying in any way.

To me, that's the problem with juicing, unless you're drinking the juices as PART of a meal. But as a meal substitute? Eh, you need more than that throughout the day.

Now I do love me a smoothie when I want something light, but mine always are packed with protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would personally look at is as a supplement to the diet rather than using them as meal replacements. there's also way more to proper nutrition than just veg and fruit.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    % veggies/greens and. 20% fruits. They are not just a glass full of calories. They are mostly water Dense foods

You're still going to have all the calories of the greens.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the juicer and buy yourself a blender.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Get rid of the juicer and buy yourself a blender.

The blender is great for margaritas. But if we didn't own one I would skip the juicer and buy some steak, shrimp, or tacos with the money!

We actually have one of those little bullet type blenders, and it kills things fairly quick. I've never done that much fruit in it, but those types with the mixing canister also being the drinking cup do save some clean up time. They just can make big batches of anything.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried juicing not as meal replacement? I am on a low residue diet (low fibre) indefinitely for Crohn's disease and my body can not handle most fruits and veggies because of the skin, seeds, fibre etc. I wonder if I could juice veggies and fruit without having GI symptoms if I remove skin, seeds etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried juicing not as meal replacement? I am on a low residue diet (low fibre) indefinitely for Crohn's disease and my body can not handle most fruits and veggies because of the skin, seeds, fibre etc. I wonder if I could juice veggies and fruit without having GI symptoms if I remove skin, seeds etc.

Seems like a good reason to juice, but I'd ask your doctor/dietitian.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

This is something I'd talk to my GI about, but it's certainly not a bad idea in your case. Do run it by your doctor, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between "Juicing" where the pulp is ejected and "juicing" where the entire fruit (or whatever) is blended together, like you would do with a Nutribullet? i.e. peal an orange stick it in a blender with other stuff, pulverize it real good and drink the concoction.

The second isn't juicing. Juicing is when the pulp is separated from the liquid. Juicers typically have a container to collect the pulp. Although some juicers will reuse this pulp in other recipes (like muffins), the juice itself won't have the fiber that would be included in a smoothie or blended drink.

"The second isn't juicing." The second would be making a smoothie or blended drink? This would be "better"?

I think so, if the goal is to get all the benefits of the fruit and vegetables/stay full/replace a meal (I'd also add some protein and/or fat). If it's just to add some additional micronutrients and you count the calories, I think juicing can be good too, although it's not for me, as drinking calories doesn't work for me and I prefer my vegetables and fruit whole anyway.

Anyone juicing to get more fruit and vegetables obviously has the easy option of just eating more.

I used to have smoothies for breakfast sometimes, though, and really enjoyed them, but they just aren't that filling for me -- again, just a personal difference between eating vs. drinking calories even when the fiber is left in. So now I usually have my breakfast vegetables in an omelet and fruit on the side.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We are using them as meal replacements but we are also keeping the pulp to use for things like in our veggie meatball etc. We still get 100% fiber. We're just trying to start getting more veggies in our diet. And we are in such a hurry for those.two meals that it's usually fast food or processed meals. :(

OP, the point is that juice is not a meal replacement. There is no protein, no fat, no fiber in juice. Unless you are drinking the juice alongside food, it is basically sugar water with lots of vitamins in it. You need more than that to fuel your body, especially if you are physically active. It seems like you are set on using it as a meal replacement though, so I would say you should log the whole fruit or veggie you put in, since the fiber contains very little if any calories.

I used to have a juicer, and for me it was easier to just figure out how to sneak more veggies into what I was already eating. Now I like them and eat plenty. It was too much work to set up the machine, prep the produce, juice, then clean everything up, just for a glass of juice! In that same amount of time, I could prep veggies for salads, stir fries, and snacks for the week...