Quick question on sedentary vs lightly active WITH Fitbit

Hi All!
I was hoping someone could help me with this question - I have been struggling with what to set MFP goals at. I walk 10,000 steps (8km) minimum per day - always between 8km to 12km. I don't do any other exercise though.

MFP does sync with my FB and does count the steps/calories. I try not to eat back more than 50% of those it logs.

So my question is...would I be better listed as sedentary or as lightly active?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I set MFP to sedentary and eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of my exercise calories. I also walk anywhere from 3-8 miles a day, but some days I do not do any activity at all. If you set it to slightly active because you are walking, you wouldn't want to count any calories from that.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Every device and calculation method uses a different calculation for their activity levels. I've set both MFP and Fitbit to sedentary, synced the calorie intake limit on both, turned off negative adjustments, and let it go. That works best for me because I don't exercise daily, nor is my exercise the same each time. This way, my normal day is steady, and on the days I do exercise, it's added in. If you have the wrist one, try wearing it on your non-dominant wrist, but set it to dominant. That makes it less sensitive, and is a bit more accurate that way I've found. I also eat back most of my exercise calories, usually 75-90% of them and I was doing fine. YMMV.

It may take some time to set both up to work together well, though. Took me about three weeks before I got mine set up so that I was losing weight again because I kept having to adjust my calorie goal on both. But once I did, it worked great for me. Just make sure you log exercise ONLY with Fitbit, and food ONLY with MFP. Otherwise, you'll end up with double entries which can screw you up.
  • moonduck
    moonduck Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you both for your responses! I apologize but I'm so simplistic at this that I'm still not quite getting this...

Could you possibly recommend for me, based on these facts:

1. I walk approximately 8km per day, every day - no days where I don't do this. These aren't always done briskly though - often just gained throughout the day, but always gained daily.
    2. I don't do any other exercise.
    3. I sync my fitbit constantly throughout the day

Three questions for you:

1. Should I be set as sedentary or lightly active?
    2. Should I use the negative calorie enabled setting?
    3. Should I eat or not eat the calories "given" to me from my daily steps or ONLY eat the calories from the daily allowed quota from MFP?

Thanks SO much and for putting up with my repetitive questions. :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2015
    I've found no matter what I choose either sedentary or lightly active it adjusts the cal burn accordingly and you get same overall burn...its just a matter of preference. I like mine at active as I see more cals right away to eat....but if I do have the occasional sedentary day then Mfp adjusts my total downwards which is totally the right thing anyway. I have enabled negative adjustments in mfp settings :smile:

Each to their own eh :smiley:
    moonduck wrote: »
    Thank you both for your responses! I apologize but I'm so simplistic at this that I'm still not quite getting this...

1. I walk approximately 8km per day, every day - no days where I don't do this. These aren't always done briskly though - often just gained throughout the day, but always gained daily.

Three questions for you:

3. Should I eat or not eat the calories "given" to me from my daily steps or ONLY eat the calories from the daily allowed quota from MFP?

1 you're lightly active
    2 yes enable negative adjustments
    3 eat what mfp gives you, I eat most of what it gives me to allow for logging inaccuracies

:smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Ps I'm like you, I aim for around 15k steps a day/ 7 miles. ..half of those walked fast or ran.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    I've found no matter what I choose either sedentary or lightly active it adjusts the cal burn accordingly and you get same overall burn...its just a matter of preference. I like mine at active as I see more cals right away to eat....but if I do have the occasional sedentary day then Mfp adjusts my total downwards which is totally the right thing anyway. I have enabled negative adjustments in mfp settings :smile:

Each to their own eh :smiley:

Three questions for you:

1 you're lightly active
    2 yes enable negative adjustments
    3 eat what mfp gives you, I eat most of what it gives me to allow for logging inaccuracies

:smile:

Lightly active is about 7500 steps a day so you should be set to that at minimum and you should have negative adjustments set up.

I also eat 80-100% of my exercise cals. I'm comfortable with 100% of what Fitbit gives me, I adjust down for some of the other exercise I manually enter.

You will have to experiment to figure out exactly how much for you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    I prefer to get the extra cals than have them taken away on a light day, so I set to sedentary for 7000-9000steps/day. It's a matter of personal preference. Fitbit & MFP will adjust either way. Keep walking!!
  • moonduck
    Thank you all so much for your advice - it is most appreciated! :)
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    I've found no matter what I choose either sedentary or lightly active it adjusts the cal burn accordingly and you get same overall burn...its just a matter of preference. I like mine at active as I see more cals right away to eat....:

This is how I understand it too- it doesn't matter what you set your activity level to, with negative adjustments switched on, your FitBit calories will always 'win'. If you set it to sedentary, you will just be awarded more exercise calories.

I also prefer to set my level to 'active' so that 1) I have a high activity level to aim for each day and 2) I know in the morning roughly what I can expect to eat during that day. Some days MFP takes calories away from me, but I tend not to worry about it at a daily level, more over the course of a week.

• moonduck
    Very interesting. Active seems like a whole different kettle of fish! :)

I do have another question now though...I've been doing the recommended setting we talked about "lightly active" and "enabling negative calories". What I found today though in the morning is that it showed 1,750 for goal - 0 for food but then -173 for exercise for a total of 1577. So did it take away calories in the morning as I hadn't started walking yet whereas most mornings at the same time I have at least some?

And then now - i'm at almost 10,000 steps so far and it's counting that as less than 100 calories where it would normally be a fair amount more.

Any ideas on why this is now happening?

Thanks very much! :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

I do have another question now though...I've been doing the recommended setting we talked about "lightly active" and "enabling negative calories". What I found today though in the morning is that it showed 1,750 for goal - 0 for food but then -173 for exercise for a total of 1577. So did it take away calories in the morning as I hadn't started walking yet whereas most mornings at the same time I have at least some?

And then now - i'm at almost 10,000 steps so far and it's counting that as less than 100 calories where it would normally be a fair amount more.

Pretty much why I personally never synchronized fitbit with MFP. Sometimes the numbers make NO sense.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I'm set to lightly active, and i wake up everyday day to around -140. It's 10am here now, and I'm at 12,278 steps and have earned 443 calories.
  • moonduck
    Very interesting. So the FB gives more calories if you complete your steps earlier in the day rather than later?

This isn't making sense to me - if you've been allotted 443cal for 12K steps and I've been allotted 90cal for 10K steps. I just don't understand :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Very interesting. So the FB gives more calories if you complete your steps earlier in the day rather than later?

This isn't making sense to me - if you've been allotted 443cal for 12K steps and I've been allotted 90cal for 10K steps. I just don't understand :wink:

I don't get it either, unless our stats are dramatically different.

I'm 5"8, age 43 and 150lbs.

And no it doesn't really matter what time you get your steps in. I'm set at lightly active, and mfp/fitbit expects me to keep up that level til midnight. I get a whole swag of calories taken away by days end because I go pretty sedentary after 5pm.
    For example, yesterday I earned 1,200 something calories (27,000 steps), but checking my diary this morning it had gone down to a little over 900 calories. I just make sure to have a few hundred in the green when I go to bed.

• moonduck
    Oh wow! That is crazy!! What the heck is going on?
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    I set MFP to sedentary and eat back all of my fitbit calories. I've been maintaining doing that for 5-6 months.
  • moonduck
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I set MFP to sedentary and eat back all of my fitbit calories. I've been maintaining doing that for 5-6 months.

Interesting...do you enable negative calories adjustment or not?
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    mom2ava07 wrote: »

Interesting...do you enable negative calories adjustment or not?
    I do the same thing and it works for me. Yes I turned negative calories on.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I've found no matter what I choose either sedentary or lightly active it adjusts the cal burn accordingly and you get same overall burn...its just a matter of preference. I like mine at active as I see more cals right away to eat....:

This is how I understand it too- it doesn't matter what you set your activity level to, with negative adjustments switched on, your FitBit calories will always 'win'. If you set it to sedentary, you will just be awarded more exercise calories.

I also prefer to set my level to 'active' so that 1) I have a high activity level to aim for each day and 2) I know in the morning roughly what I can expect to eat during that day. Some days MFP takes calories away from me, but I tend not to worry about it at a daily level, more over the course of a week.

^^ yep totally agree :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream

I don't get it either, unless our stats are dramatically different.

I'm 5"8, age 43 and 150lbs.

And no it doesn't really matter what time you get your steps in. I'm set at lightly active, and mfp/fitbit expects me to keep up that level til midnight. I get a whole swag of calories taken away by days end because I go pretty sedentary after 5pm.
    For example, yesterday I earned 1,200 something calories (27,000 steps), but checking my diary this morning it had gone down to a little over 900 calories. I just make sure to have a few hundred in the green when I go to bed.

and yeah this also is true - it expects you to keep carrying on that high activity right up to bedtime so it predicts ahh if she does 10k this early in the day then the rest of the day will be double...and then when we enjoy some well earned rest, the adjustments get made and we 'lose' cals burned as such. Its just the way it works but it also makes sense too... :smile:

What I find odd/annoying even, is that I can do 28000 steps on two different days, one of those days I will have ran perhaps 10k worth of them and the rest walked, then on the other day I will have walked all of the 28k - my TDEE will be VERY different, the mix of running and walking will make my TDEE reach 2500, just walking them it will be 2100. I know it makes sense as I wasn't exerting myself enough but when you have a really active day and do high steps it feels like you're not getting 'rewarded' properly....sighhhh don't mind me, I have a habit of going off on a tangent lol