60 + having a tough time

Options
I think my metabolism, has died, forget about slowing down. I just cant seem to loose anything, I am trying to be patient..I work out every day, 30 minutes- I am keeping a food Diary, weighing everything at least I am trying to be as accurate as possible but to no avail..nothing is moving.. is there anyone else out there having a tough time too?

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are a couple of things to look at when you're feeling stuck and the scale isn't moving.
    1. How long have you been at it? Meaning how long have you been consistent with daily logging and being at a calorie deficit. If you've only been consistently at it for a week, then keep it up. Patience is difficult when we want results! If it has been over a month, then it's time to review and revise the methods being used.
    2. How did you determine your activity setting? We are really, awesomely good at overestimating how active we are in our daily lives. If you used anything other than the Sedentary setting, you might need to re-evaluate and re-figure your numbers.
    3. Are there any gaps in your log? Everyone misses little things here and there. Sometimes it is deliberate. I don't log the teaspoon of butter I use to cook eggs. Sometimes it is genuinely forgotten. What sides did I order with dinner when I was out with friends? Other times we just didn't log Saturday...
    4. Are the database entries logged accurate? This is a huge pain in the kiester. I like to use the USDA nutrient database to cross-check some of my entries.

"That doughnut couldn't have been 450 calories; I'll use this entry for 235 instead..." Guilty of that one a few times.
      If you are weighing cooked and logging raw without converting the cooked weight back to a raw weight, then there are huge calories differences.
    5. Logging exercise is so incredibly deceptive. The exercise calories burned are typically very overstated. If you are just using the MFP calculations, or exercise equipment values, then they are most probably overestimating by a lot. Heart Rate Monitors are great ways to get a more accurate figure.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I think my metabolism, has died, forget about slowing down. I just cant seem to loose anything, I am trying to be patient..I work out every day, 30 minutes- I am keeping a food Diary, weighing everything at least I am trying to be as accurate as possible but to no avail..nothing is moving.. is there anyone else out there having a tough time too?

Please read: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I'm 60 too. July 4th 220#s November 22nd 190.2#s. Log accurately, both in and expended, keep under, or at, your goals and with the programed calorie deficit achieved you, too, will lose weight.

Harsh, I know, but the only explaination (OK maybe not the ONLY but the most common) for not losing weight is a lack of a caloric deficit.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Another 60+ woman here. It's not easy but calorie deficit is the only way to lose. I started with logging, gradually added cardio using a heart rate monitor to figure out burn and currently am taking baby steps to add strength training. I started at 202 pounds last Christmas and am currently 139. I am aiming for 117.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    61 and losing. Occasionally, if you're doing everything right but not losing, you need to have a check up and make sure there isn't a medical condition going on. Someone posted last week that they did that and were diagnosed with something that explained the lack of weight loss (and being over 60, I don't remember what condition she had).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @mstofabulous, It says you have 27lb to lose. I will be slow going, it is for most no matter the age. Look at losing 1lb a week to begin with then dropping to .5 as you get close to your goal.

Logging is everything, as you get closer to your goal, so make sure the entries you chose are correct. Use the USDA database if in doubt.

I am 62 and it took me close to a year to lose 30lb.

Try to add in some kind of strength training. It is good for bone density, and will help you retain your muscles as you lose.

For most, not all, menopausal and post menopausal women, me included, weight gain can be correlated with a slow down in activity, causing a decrease in LBM, and BMR, while eating the same as we did when younger.

Increasing your daily activity (I bought a car- boom the weight piled on) or upping your structured exercise regime, may help with your calorie burn. Just remember you have to eat exercise calories back.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    60 yo here. I started 18 months ago. Strength training& walking. Now I'm doing some classes too. Not easy at any age, but doable. At our age, we know how important good health is.
    SW 301
    CW 181
    GW 150
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Strength training can make you feel great while your waiting for the weight to drop.
    Ot take some yoga classes. Yoga helps with body/ mind awareness.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Middlehaitch is correct. With only 27 pounds to go expect it to be slow. I've lost 15 pounds over 5 months and average 3 pounds a month. I have 5 pounds to go. I'm at 1200 calories and can't wait to get a couple hundred extra calories in maintenance. When I plateaued I reviewed my log and realized I forgot to add coffee creamer for about 80 calories a day. I also wasn't logging the little things like ketchup or hot sauce or vitamins. Once I added every single thing in my weight loss has been steady at about 0.8 pounds a week.