not losing any weight. . ideas please

Options
2»

Replies

• nefudaboss
    nefudaboss Posts: 69 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    260lbs 6'2 I lost 10lbs then I had same problem its been 3 weeks, then i realized i had been eating at maintenance 1950cals to reset that low carb diet 1200 cals i started with like 30-40grams carbs a day now im back feeling better i dropped it back down to 1200 cals cause i was 25% bf when i started got down to 21% got stuck for 3 weeks now its time to drop cals again and increase cardio on low carb days raise my carbs back up on resistance days and cheat days i learned to eat barely any fat cause i was going over board with the carbs so fat storage was inevitable and i think it was destroying 3 days of my diet
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    gabybvmfp wrote: »
    If your clothes fit better and measurements are better, then it's working. Give it more time to see the scale weight catch up with your progress. Scales measure much more than just fat, so as early on as you are, it's probably still the water from exercise or something masking your progress :)

Thanks! I will

I'm on a deficit
    I log my food
    I spend two hours at gym from Monday to Saturday
    I do HIIT twice a week

And I think it does matter what you do at gym

You might have already answered this but....

Keep in mind often the calorie burns are off in MFP for certain exercises. There are also quite a few machines that include BMR in the calorie burn totals. So finding correct logging for your exercise calories is important if you are going to eat at least some of them back.

@diannethegeek covered this in her #6. But if you exercise a lot, the variances can be a lot. I've never weighed any food at all, and found my biggest problem was in accurate exercise logging.

And weight loss can be strange at times. Though I've never had a month without loss, I'm probably bigger than you are, so I have more room to play with. And at times, I stall and do nothing for a while, then within a day or two (and sometimes a rest day) I drop weight.

Also keep in mind that your weight fluctuates day to day and even hour to hour. I've seen swings of 5 lbs for me in a day. When and how often you weigh might cloud the real trend if your timing just happens to weigh at the wrong time.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    If your clothes fit better and measurements are better, then it's working. Give it more time to see the scale weight catch up with your progress. Scales measure much more than just fat, so as early on as you are, it's probably still the water from exercise or something masking your progress :)

Thanks! I will

I'm on a deficit
    I log my food
    I do HIIT twice a week

I asked about your exercise because I thought that if you where building muscle, it may explain why you look like you lost weight but weigh the same on the scale.

A woman's going to build appreciable muscle eating at deficit in a month?

I don't think so.

Water going to muscle for tissue repair due to a new exercise routine? Yup.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options

Thanks! I will

I'm on a deficit
    I log my food
    I do HIIT twice a week

I asked about your exercise because I thought that if you where building muscle, it may explain why you look like you lost weight but weigh the same on the scale.

A person who is eating perfectly and working out intensely can build 5-10lbs of muscle in a year. A person can lose 2lbs of fat a week safely. You'll never build muscle fast enough to outpace your fat loss. Especially since you can't build muscle at anywhere near that 5-10lbs a year rate if you're in a deficit enough to lose any weight at all.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Without knowing exactly what you're doing in the way of lifting and training, your body could be retaining excess water in your muscles to help repair them. This is totally normal. It generally takes a month to six weeks for the scale to shift when I'm heavily training (if I'm eating at a deficit). My measurements improve, but the scale doesn't budge before then.

Based on what my body does, it may still be a bit too early for you to notice a change on the scale.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nefudaboss wrote: »
    260lbs 6'2 I lost 10lbs then I had same problem its been 3 weeks, then i realized i had been eating at maintenance 1950cals to reset that low carb diet 1200 cals i started with like 30-40grams carbs a day now im back feeling better i dropped it back down to 1200 cals cause i was 25% bf when i started got down to 21% got stuck for 3 weeks now its time to drop cals again and increase cardio on low carb days raise my carbs back up on resistance days and cheat days i learned to eat barely any fat cause i was going over board with the carbs so fat storage was inevitable and i think it was destroying 3 days of my diet

What????

As a male at 32yrs old , 6'2" 260.....there's no way on god's green earth that your maintenance calories are 1950.......unless your super hypothyroid.....and even then.

EDIT: For grins I plugged your stats into a quick TDEE calculator. Your maintenance is closer to 2900 than it is 1900. If you really are eating only 1200 calories (TDEE -60%), I hope you are doing so under medical supervision.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

What????

As a male at 32yrs old , 6'2" 260.....there's no way on god's green earth that your maintenance calories are 1950.......unless your super hypothyroid.....and even then.

EDIT: For grins I plugged your stats into a quick TDEE calculator. Your maintenance is closer to 2900 than it is 1900. If you really are eating only 1200 calories (TDEE -60%), I hope you are doing so under medical supervision.

Poster maybe eating more then he thinks, as well.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What????

Agreed....those numbers just made my head spin.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

What????

Agreed....those numbers just made my head spin.

Yep
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Wut? Dude, your numbers make no sense. I'm a 53 year old woman who's a foot shorter than you and I lose eating all the carbs at 1600 and my maintenance is around 2000.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I've been working really hard at gym for almost a month. Taking care of what I eat. My friends tell me I look like I lost a lot of weight but the scale is not moving. Also the clothes fits much better . I'm not obsessed with scale cause that's not my goal. . But I would like to hear opinions about it. Thanks!

Here is a place where you can find all the information you need...

cdc.gov/healthyweight/index.html

People here are already turning your thread into their own debate, and probably confusing you as well. If you go to that link, you will get all the information you need without all the misinformation and debate. Also, ask your doctor about these things too.

You can also friend/PM me if you like, and I will try to point you in the right direction as well.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Dude, your own link talks about cutting calories (emphasizing lifestyle change) to lose weight and incorporating exercise along with healthy eating to maintain. There's been no misinformation here, except your belief the way it worked for you is the only way it will work for anyone/everyone.

By all means, share what worked for you, but please stop touting it as the be-all, end-all method of weight loss.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Dude, your own link talks about cutting calories (emphasizing lifestyle change) to lose weight and incorporating exercise along with healthy eating to maintain. There's been no misinformation here, except your belief the way it worked for you is the only way it will work for anyone/everyone.

By all means, share what worked for you, but please stop touting it as the be-all, end-all method of weight loss.

:::Applause:::
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Thanks! I will

I'm on a deficit
    I log my food
    I do HIIT twice a week

It matters zero. That's the point you're missing. You think all your gym time is contributing to your weight loss. However, it's not happening, is it? The reason is, you are not eating at a deficit. You might think you are, but you're not.

If you want to lose weight, you have to eat at a deficit. You don't have to exercise. But, you do have to eat at a deficit.

Until you do, you will not lose. You can spend 1 hour a week, or 8 hours a day, in a gym. But, if you're not eating at a deficit, you will not lose weight.

So, drop your calories for a few weeks and see what happens.

Exercise, combined with a well balanced diet is extremely important to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

People here are already turning your thread into their own debate, and probably confusing you as well.

Irony is ironic.

OP, have a calorie deficit to lose weight, and do strength training and cardio for health and fitness. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Sometimes these threads are helpful to others besides the original poster.
    For example, when I first joined I was too afraid to post. So I lurked and lurked these forums. I was looking for answers to my questions , but was too shy to speak up.
    I would've definitely read a thread like this to try to figure out what was going on. But I wouldn't have posted anything .
    sometimes its just not all about the original poster. Facts have to be posted , even if the original poster is already aware of them. And nonfactual stuff must be pointed out, to prevent a newcomer or lurker from reading it and believing it.
    When I first joined, I read that carbs will make people gain weight and that people shouldn't eat them. Luckily , many posters chimed in and mentioned that low carb was not necessary unless the person had a medical condition and that a calorie deficit was all that was needed for weight loss .
    If those members didn't speak up And call out the nonsense then I would've definitely believed it. I didn't know any better. Many people start out not knowing anything and just like to lurk these threads to learn.

v8bn3fzqexfi.gif