Should I use a Smith Machine??

Options
My gym only has dumbbells and smith machines. I have heard that smith machines are bad for the bpdy, because your muscles cannot bbalancethe weight naturally. Any suggestions or thoughts? Or should I just use the dumbbells?

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The problem with the Smith is that it's like any other machine in that it's locked into a specific range of motion which may or may not work with how you naturally move. You have to work with the tools you have available, so give it a try and make the most of it.
  • ceva034
    ceva034 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I def prefer a barbell over a smith machine. However, you can make the smith machine work for you, just I would say do not soley rely on the smith machine - use a mix of both DB and the smith machine
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use it for a few things.like close grip presses n shoulder press but its Completely woethless to squat it
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as OP, is there a good tutorial on how to use the smith machine properly to get the best use out of it.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    If that's all you have then that's what you use, and make the most of it. I agree with previous poster to switch up between dumbbells and smith. Don't you have a different gym you can go to? It's hard to call a place a gym if they don't have a squat rack or bench.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Any chance of going to a different gym?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    All machines can be useful, but there's still nothing like moving "dead weight" on your own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I is all you have by all means use it. Its not the best but its better than nothing. Watch some vids on how to use it properly.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started with a squat rack and just recently began to explore the Smith Machine and geesh it's so restrictive in my opinion. There are a few exercises I like but I will always faithfully squat using the squat rack, but perhaps it's because that's where I started. I would also look into other gym options if that's possible
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have access to another gym man but a gym without bars or squat racks really cant be that great, not judging or anything. On the smith machine topic they really fix you in a range of motion and that can be stressfull on the joints.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Here is the problem with smith machines.

Lifting is as much about muscle memory/learning how to properly set your body up and use your own body mechanics as it is the actual strength of your muscles.

You need great power and finesse to hit a home run. You need power and coordination to perform a clean/squat/etc. The smith machine removes the "functional" aspect of the lift. Your muscles might get stronger (not nearly as fast as a barbell movement), but you won't learn how to functionally lift a load using your own unique body mechanics. Weightlifting really can help you better perform athletic movements outside the gym.

Also, the fixed movement path will often conflict with the way your body naturally wants to move, which can have some serious consequences on joints/tendons.

Pretty much the only time I use smith is for calf raises, or to do a bench when I anticipate I might fail my last reps and don't have a spotter.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Do heavy Dumbbells for 10 minutes then do the Smith Machine for 10 minutes. Free weights win for me. 100,000% better workout.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nice for inverted rows and hurdle step overs. After that not so much.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If that's all you have then that's what you use, and make the most of it.
    +1

• lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your form is correct with the smith machine. I watch lots of people line their feet up under their body for squats, which puts your knees over your toes and isn't as safe. You have to put your feet forward of your body, which feels awkward, but evens out when you go down into the squat. Just how the smith machine moves (or lack of movement I guess).
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    lbaxandall wrote: »
    Just make sure your form is correct with the smith machine. I watch lots of people line their feet up under their body for squats, which puts your knees over your toes and isn't as safe. You have to put your feet forward of your body, which feels awkward, but evens out when you go down into the squat. Just how the smith machine moves (or lack of movement I guess).

Feet over the knees is a bit of myth have you ever watched weight lifters they can't do there movement right unless their knees go pass there toes http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die