RA Excercises

Options
I was diagnose with RA about 2 months ago. I figured it's probably a good time to lose some weight. I'm thinking that losing some weight will help my body feel better. I've tried doing some of my normal exercise videos but can't seem to finish them, due to the pain in the joints. I feel like the only think I can do is cardio workouts. I'm pretty bored with just walking, biking, and elliptical. If you have or had RA, what type of workouts do you do to help you relieve some of the pain and stay healthy?

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Do you swim or have a pool at your gym? At my old gym we had a pool and fitness classes in the pool. Any exercise in the water reduces the impact on your joints and lets you still build up your strength. Have you tried anything like that?

I really like the elliptical and it doesn't bother my knees much...not sure if that helps or hurts your RA.

I know this is an extremely painful disease. My mom has it in both knees and the best thing you can do is keep moving, even if it's uncomfortable.
  • rlhj
    rlhj Posts: 1
    Options
    you can get a rx from your dr to do physical therapy with an office that has a underwater treadmill. this is very beneficial because of warm h2o and less stress on your joints! Hope this helps!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Don't rule out lifting weights assuming you're able. It's the sort of thing where you have to test the waters. There's *some* research out there supporting resistance training for RA.

I was tested positive for RH factor but they've since ruled out RA.

And remember, fat loss is going to come primarily from diet... so make sure that's in check.