Not worth my calories anymore..

Options
So throughout this journey, I have discovered that many foods just aren't worth the calories that are in them for me to eat them anymore. And yes, I certainly eat whatever I want; it's just that I've found that certain things don't cut it anymore. I very rarely eat pasta these days and we used to eat it at least once weekly. I also don't eat fruity candy anymore. The saddest thing that I've discovered is that Chick Fil A sandwiches just aren't that tasty anymore for the calorie count that they contribute to my day. On the other hand, I think that a snickers bar is worth every bit of the 250 calories it contains, and well, chocolate in general. What foods have you discovered just aren't worth it anymore? How about the ones that still make it into your diet?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    That's something my husband doesn't understand, but I do the same thing when I'm shopping and it drives him nuts. I'll spend a few minutes looking at shoes or a purse, admiring it, and then put it back and walk away. I tried to explain it to him once with, "I really like it, but not $100 worth. I like it enough to pay $50, so I'll wait." Food can be the same way.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    "I really like it, but not $100 worth. I like it enough to pay $50, so I'll wait." Food can be the same way.

THIS!!! herblackwings basically said it spot on here. I REALLY love bread...but not 120 calories worth...maybe 50!! :tongue:
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything from my diet, but I definitely eat less mayo, butter and salad dressing. They just don't give me a lot of bang for the buck. My flavored coffee creamer on the other hand -- totally worth every single calorie.
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I used to think a hamburg or hot dog weren't edible without a bun surrounding them ... and garlic bread or homemade cinnamon rolls??? YUM! But now, I rarely have any breads. I occasionally eat a wheat bread that's 35 calories a slice. I'm finding in all my food choices, if it doesn't have enough nutritional value, I'm not wanting it. That's certainly a HUGE change from my lots of pizza, pop, and candy bar days of just a few months ago - and I'm LOVING IT!!!
  • CBrook04
    CBrook04 Posts: 107
    Options
    Agree! & for me it's potato chips. Don't get me wrong, I'll have chips again in my lifetime I'm sure but I'm totally satisfied with popcorn instead.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup! I used to eat whatever sweets were put in front of me but I'm much pickier now. Since I've gotten used to good deep dark chocolate (85% or higher), eating milk chocolate is like when I used to eat those cheap "chocolate flavored" candies. It's just not as good as the real thing IMHO. Thankfully this has gotten me to avoid chocolate for the most part.

The other part of this thinking, at least for me, is that it might be yummy but it's not going to satisfy me and I'll just have to use more calories and risk going over because I'll still be hungry later. So while a chocolate chip cookie or brownie might sound like a wonderful idea when the afternoon cravings kick in, I'd rather eat a protein bar or some oatmeal because those will be more likely to tie me over until dinner time.
  • fidgit813
    fidgit813 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much cut out most sweets. For me, if I'm going to cheat I'm going to do it with something worthwhile--and I'd much rather have some extra cheese on my burger or some potato chips with my sandwich over the candy bar or soda. One of the first things I was able to cut was soda and I'm so happy I accomplished that.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the same way. If I am going to have something sweet, or a treat of some kind, it has to be something really good. I am not going to waste my calories on something that is just eh.
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hmmm items I (used to) love not worth the calories anymore (and the items I use in place of them now):

Butter -> Olive Oil
    Salad dressing -> Salsa
    Bread -> Lettuce or nothing (bare burger, etc.)
    Angel Hair Pasta -> Whole Grain Penne in portion (I eat much less of a denser noodle)
    Soda -> Water or diet soda (working my way off those too)
    Orange Juice -> Water, le sigh
    Candy Bars -> Dark chocolate squares
    McDonald's -> Eat at home, yo.
    Potato Chips -> Carrots, cucumbers, sugar free candies
    Coffee creamer -> Protein milk or nothing
    Cow's Milk -> Almond Milk
    MACARONI & CHEESE -> Nothing. Because Mac&Chz is like mana or ambrosia; The sweet necter of the gods from God, and nothing could replace it. But at 400 calories per cup- EFF THAT!
    Pizza -> :'(
    Bagels -> :'(

I pretty much live off of water and sunshine.

BUT! Meat- any meat is worth the calories for me (as long as it's not fried). BRING ON THE RIBEYES!!

Great Topic Catherine!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Sushi... I haven't gone for sushi in months because the calories are INSANE!

Pad Thai - now I order a curry
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    starbucks rarely makes it into my daily calories. I used to go almost every day for a frappuchino and now I don't really want to drink those calories.

same with other drinks, ice tea, lemonade, etc. I HATE drinking my calories. so they barely make the cut too.

I still eat pizza, but now I have fruit and a salad with 1 slice of pizza, not eat half of the pizza.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    A lot of sweets, anything fried, and pizza just aren't worth it anymore. Once I got away from that stuff, it doesn't really taste that good anymore anyway....
  • Megz2006
    Megz2006 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything fried and hot dogs. I love hot dogs with mayo, ketchup and mustard. It isn't so much the calories as it is sodium. And I've started to eat ground turkey so much now that ground beef just doesn't appeal to me.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are lovely but none of them ever seem to keep my appetite in check for more than an hour. So it's soups, salads and casseroles all the way for me nowadays.

Mind you, when I honestly, really fancy something (like a bacon butty) I'll find a way to include it in my macros.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mac n Cheese.
    Most bread/rolls at restaurants. (I will still cave to cheddar bay biscuits at Red Lobster, because, well, they're cheddar bay biscuits.)
    Ice cream. I just prefer frozen yogurt now, and there's 3 places in town for me to go for that.
    Soda - this was more for the chemicals than calories because I only drank diet. Haven't had one in 2 months.

I'm sure there's lots of others, but those come to mind :D
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I never 'drink' my calories - that always seems such a waste. So no fruit juice or sugary drinks or alcohol. I just drink water and herbal teas and have done for the past 10 years.

One exception is an occasional monthly breakfast 'smoothie' - but I always use whole fruit and vegetables and usually add a bit of protein like ground almonds or hemp seeds to make it part of my breakfast calories. :-)
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I was so happy to find Pepperridge Farm 45 calorie 7 grain bread at our local outlet now. That makes a sandwhich worth while instead of the 120 calories per slice. That leaves me the extra calories for the flavored coffee creamer and glass of wine that I'm not quite willing to give up yet.
  • daniellebstcyr
    Options
    I used to drink a load of calories in milk and juices, but they don't fill me up, and I'd rather spend the calories on things that will make me feel full. I have cut my carbs in half, and still rarely eat my daily "limit", so no more half bags of chips or whole sleeves of crackers. I craved them at first, but I don't anymore.

One thing that I am not willing to give up is cheese. OM NOM NOM
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used to go to wing night every week and since I realized how many calories I was packing on to my day between wings, fried cheesecake, beer and other crap.. I decided its best for me to just skip the entire night now :sad:
  • Kimi0371
    Kimi0371 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I never 'drink' my calories - that always seems such a waste. So no fruit juice or sugary drinks or alcohol. I just drink water and herbal teas and have done for the past 10 years.

One exception is an occasional monthly breakfast 'smoothie' - but I always use whole fruit and vegetables and usually add a bit of protein like ground almonds or hemp seeds to make it part of my breakfast calories. :-)

I could have written this post. Agree completely!

As to the second half of the question: dark chocolate always fits. :)