My weight loss journey with phentermine

Options
i would like to share my story as maybe someone will find they can relate. I took phentermine for about 6 months, worked out like crazy, it cut my sugar cravings, & boy, oh, boy it took a few weeks to get used to it. I had to be careful not to go too long without eating a snack, the headaches were few but fierce , oh & I had to make sure to take it early in the am WITH food (i would end up not able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour if I didn't take it right when I got up) AND Drinking plenty of water! I had gone on it because I have type 2 diabetes & PCOS (and some ADD to boot!) I felt hopeless & on my birthday I got a fitbit from my dear husband, this was just over a year ago. I was motivated! I worked out but nothing was happening, my sugar cravings were insane. My Dr & I decided it would be good to try phentermine 37.5 mg as my PCOS wasn't allowing me to have solid metabolism. It worked! After 4 months my A1C was NORMAL, my diabetes was completely under control. I used MyFitnesspal to help me track & be accountable for my foods & I used my fitbit to help me track & be accountable for my fitness! i joined a gym & went to group classes about 5 hours a week (i just would get my workout clothes on & go, the less I thought about it the better) I went from size 18/20 to a very comfortable size 12! i had worked out on my own for about 2 months then took phentermine for almost 6 months. I lowered the dosage to 30mg which I could tell didn't have the same effect but I kept working out & eating better (i had a few treats too) at about 5 months in. So I was only on the smaller dosage for about a month. Then life struck my whole world turned upside down, every healthy habit I formed quickly vanished with depression, anxiety, & stress taking it's place. I ballooned back up & it was due to me dropping all my goals & stopped thinking about my health :-( not good! This went on for about 7 months. I am almost back to where I started. Life is finally starting getting back to "normal". As of November 21st I have gone back on phentermine 37.5 mg so now my journey starts again! I want to be clear - this is not a short cut its a jumpstart. My goals are: to continue to go to the gym for group classes, walk on the treadmill almost everyday, walk twice a day at work on breaks, pack lunches with healthy snacks, track my food, track my blood glucose, drink a minimum of 8 glasses a day, & be proud of every small accomplishment! I am very thankful for the support of my husband & even though he absolutely hates phentermine, he helps remind me to be cautious, keep track of my symptoms, & know my body limits. Well, that's my story... I am starting part 2 of my journey with phentermine & I'm trying my best to do what's right for me & my body. I am happy to try & answer any questions, offer tips I've learned, and of course accept any encouragement or tips you may have for me!

Also: I absolutely LOVE my fitbit charge hr. I can track my heart rate while I work out, sleep, & also know my resting heart rate on a daily basis. Plus the challenges you can have with friends to see who gets the most steps is fun too!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I understand this was meant to be a positive story about phentermine, but instead this sounds like a story on why not to take phentermine?
  • twentiesbrunette
    twentiesbrunette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me. I stopped taking it after 6 months due to stress & a lot of unfortunate happenings. I wish I could have stopped with the right frame of mind but I didn't, not related to the medication in any way. The point is I now know I can do it because of phentermine. At the most critical time of getting off the medication that's when it's time to sustain & make sure those habits are firmly rooted. It's not going to be a good jumpstart for everyone but with all my hormones between the polysistic ovarian syndrome and the dangers in my diabetes being out of control it was just what I needed. We will see how it goes, giving it 6 months then it's up to me to do the rest, for the rest of my life!
    Ps: your right it could also be a story as to why not to take phentermine :-)