Do you trust the MFP food database

Options
13»

Replies

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    steuartcj wrote: »
    Would be a lot easier if people would enter weights and liquid volumes, rather than, 1bowl, 1 piece, 1 glass etc. These entries a waste of space and time. Trust, about 50% of the time at very most.

It would save a lot of wasted time and database bloat if the form for creating food entries required more mandatory information, starting with weight in grams or milliliters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    Would be a lot easier if people would enter weights and liquid volumes, rather than, 1bowl, 1 piece, 1 glass etc. These entries a waste of space and time. Trust, about 50% of the time at very most.

It would save a lot of wasted time and database bloat if the form for creating food entries required more mandatory information, starting with weight in grams or milliliters.

This is true. I think it would be great if you couldn't make an entry public unless it had that kind of information, while you could do whatever for private entries.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    flaminica wrote: »
    This is true. I think it would be great if you couldn't make an entry public unless it had that kind of information, while you could do whatever for private entries.
    An impediment to cleaning up the database is that MFP uses the number of database entries as a bragging point. Database bloat is a positive when trying to attract new users even if it's a negative once the users start trying to actually use the database.

If MFP put sensible restrictions on what information was required in order to share items with the database, rather than just "verifying" them with a flawed automated system, the number of individual database entries would be reduced. The entries would (likely) be more accurate but there would be fewer of them.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Yeah I usually double check and I swear by the barcode scanner
    The barcode scanner just pulls user-entered data from the MFP database so it's not a guarantee of accuracy. You still need to check the results against the nutritional info on the container.

I do its right every time

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options

There was a brief time, the other week, when you could only choose from predefined units, at least on the Android app. That seems to have disappeared in the latest update though.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What could possibly be wrong with an entry claiming pizza has 13 calories per slice?

dqy5kbju0znv.jpg