BiPolar

Options
wendygjc
wendygjc Posts: 45 Member
Hi there,

Does anyone on here have bipolar and struggle with depression and being motivated? I have bipolar and have a hard time sometimes to motivate myself to workout and eat right, I get depressed and then ruin it for myself. I feel so good when I am eating healthy and working out, but hard when my head is telling me to do something else. Anyone?

Replies

• sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Not bipolar as far as I know - but I have fought depression and I still get huge ups and downs. I can always feel when I'm 'going down' and so totally understand where you're coming from. It becomes a bit of a viscous circle!

I hope you can find support.

:flowerforyou:
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Me!! I find exercise helps control it really well. And my doc and I finally found meds that don't make me gain a ton of weight and feel like crap so I almost feel somewhat....normal? It has been awhile. But I still have days/weeks that I don't want to get out of bed and I can get really down on myself (I won't go into details about what happens in those situations but it's not good). What gets me outside or to the gym or popping my exercise programs in the DVD player is that fact that I know the endorphin rush at the end will be fantastic! And once you start getting stronger you get a sense of accomplishment that is wonderful. I try to be as positive as possible and find that it helps keep my moods from going one way or the other too far.

Add me if you like! I've gotten into running since I can find a zen-like calm doing it so I talk about that a lot on here. :drinker: Good luck and keep your head up!!
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I know I'm type II bipolar (I never get the manic modes) and I know that just being properly medicated has gone a long way. I have also noticed that when I don't exercise my mood gradually decreases. It's a strange sort of "you don't miss it til it's gone" sort of feeling. I also remember one of the success stories on here mentioned the benefit of the "Fake it til you make it" attitude. Even if you just do a little bit of exercise, it's enough to get the ball rolling and the momentum builds up over time. That's been my philosophy lately 'cause I don't cope well in the summer.
  • Ziggyzigs
    Ziggyzigs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I am type II as well. Exercise almost directly affects my overall mood. When I don't move I'm also sort of touch and go on my meds and the dark days are darker. I'm actually just learning that for us, exercise is actually a legit form of medicine. Once you get over that hump, you can keep going and ride the wave of happys. Or so I've heard... inconsistency being a friend of mine and all that.
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm bipolar and know what you mean. It's very hard to motivate yourself sometimes. I have just come back on here after a long while, trying to lose all the weight that I lost previously. I went on a downer and put it all back on. But I can eat whether I am depressed or manic. Once I force myself to excercise it certainly helps me and makes me feel good, even if only for a short time. Push your self to do it. You know you can!!!!! x
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Exercise , a healthy diet and GOALS are a sure way to fight off many of the negative affects of Bipolar . Trust me