6lbs lost in 7 days...!?

Options
Hi everyone, okay as happy as I am that I've lost 6lbs in a week, I'm thinking that this is a bit extreme?! I'm not exactly a big girl... I'm 5"7 and starting weight was 12 stone 1lb..... I've been going to the gym for the past two months, only been back on MFP for 7 days though, so I have no idea how many calories I was consuming before this week.... I feel fine in myself, a little bit tired every now n then but nothing major, any advice or reassurance for me lol? Also feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it will all be water weight or at least a good 5.5lbs of that. A good way to keep track of fat loss is to measure yourself. As for the weight loss, don't worry. The water weight comes back on when you start eating at maintenance again.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Josh_LoL wrote: »
    I'm guessing it will all be water weight or at least a good 5.5lbs of that. A good way to keep track of fat loss is to measure yourself. As for the weight loss, don't worry. The water weight comes back on when you start eating at maintenance again.

Thanks for the reply, a friend of mine just said a out the water too. It doesn't make sense because before I would drink barely a cup of water, now I drink 3 litres a day, I don't want the weight to come back on so I will just carry on with what I'm doing I guess! :)
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at explaining it but your muscles store ready-to-use energy in the form of aqueous glycogen in them (hence the water). When you're in a deficit, your muscles will use up all this ready to go energy before diving into your fat stores for more. If you're always in a deficit, they don't have the chance to fully replenish the glycogen so the water weight doesn't come back on until you're no longer in a deficit.

Sometimes, after strenuous exercise or during periods, you might retain extra water so don't worry too much about what the scale says. Just be happy with how your clothes feel :)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes ^. And if you're now drinking more than you used to it gives your body the message that it doesn't need to save the water either. So you won't retain as much. Just stick with your deficit and it should slow to a safer amount soon. Good luck
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    That's a lot'o poop! :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm going with water weight also, so don't be disappointed if you don't even lose half of that the next week, it happens to us all :)
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you are paying more attention to what you eat, then you might also be eating less salt. That will result in less water weight too.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Most people have that big whoosh loss in the beginning. I dropped 8lbs the first week, which I too thought was crazy. Like everyone says, it's the glycogen/water loss, maybe with some waste your body has gotten rid off too. Don't worry. It won't continue. LOL!
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, there was me thinking I'd done amazingly hahaha... Kinda put a downer on my day knowing that the loss won't continue to be as big :( I'm gunna be too scared to weigh myself again now I reckon!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, there was me thinking I'd done amazingly hahaha... Kinda put a downer on my day knowing that the loss won't continue to be as big :( I'm gunna be too scared to weigh myself again now I reckon!

You're just barely outside of a normal weight per BMI.....you don't want the weight loss to continue to be as big, outside an occasional "whoosh" like you just had (and they probably still won't be that big).
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Why feel down? It's normal for loss to slow down. Everyone's does, and if it doesn't they're doing something really screwed up. And if the scale is going to start freaking you out then you're better off not weighing too often because there are going to be times when it doesn't say what you're hoping it will. That's also normal btw.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hey, first you're worried that you lost too much & now you're down that you prob won't continue to lose that fast! What's wrong with this picture? Just relax, stick to your plan, and see what happens.
  • andrebosshardt
    andrebosshardt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't get down by the comments posted. You lost weight! Awesome. Keep it going. Log in all your food, even the amount of Olive oil that you use. Eat better things and consume the calories that MFP comes up with. Work out everyday, alternating cardio and strength and you will see amazing results. I lost 68 lbs since July 4th. You can do this.
  • bison216
    bison216 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A better way to track fat loss would be using a body fat analyzer instead of just the scale. They have cheap ones on amazon. Might not be 100% accurate but it is at least repeatable and will give you a better picture than scale weight alone. Omron Fat Loss Monitor