Nutritional Therapy

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You'd be much better off (financially, if nothing else!) seeing your GP and getting a referral to a Registered Dietician. Many GP surgeries now offer in-house dieticians as so much of health is linked to diet, but if your surgery doesn't offer this you can get referred to an alternative clinic or hospital.

More info here, including information about their qualifications http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/find-a-registered-dietitian-or-nutritionist.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=168

I assume the cost of the visit would be covered by NHS?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You'd be much better off (financially, if nothing else!) seeing your GP and getting a referral to a Registered Dietician. Many GP surgeries now offer in-house dieticians as so much of health is linked to diet, but if your surgery doesn't offer this you can get referred to an alternative clinic or hospital.

More info here, including information about their qualifications http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/find-a-registered-dietitian-or-nutritionist.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=168

I assume the cost of the visit would be covered by NHS?

Depends if they went due a referral from their GP, I'd imagine a GP would prefer to send their patients to a dietician than a questionably qualified nutritionist. I've never been referred for diet advice so not sure about this area!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the lateness! It wasn't covered by the NHS and my doctor didn't refer me to this - actually, he didn't really say anything for my high cholesterol. Just cut down on meat and sweets, which is something I was doing prior to the blood test. I do have vitamin D deficiency, and got tablets for the next 5 months for it. I know that's very common for people of ethnic origin, and my ginger ninja (in the picture) doesn't have this problem.
    To be really honest, I was getting so many conflicting advice from friends and family. I was getting told off left, right and centre for putting on weight after personal events in my life, that when the doctor told me about this high cholesterol malarky, this nutritionist thing was kind of Plan Z without going to drastic measures.
    Although I'm aware that high cholesterol is genetic (it's a common thing in my family), I didn't think I would get it at the tender age of 28!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me figure out why this person recommended you exercise less.

Oh wait, yes I can. It's too manipulate your cortisol and glycogen levels so you get scale movement (which will have nothing to do with fat loss), but hey, let's throw your fitness out the window so it looks like my bad advice is working.

Nutritionists receive very little education. This one gave you some very terrible advice.
    From what you have said, I would have no qualms about firing this person immediately, and moving on with a more sensible calorie-deficit and exercise based plan.

Both of these times a million.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I would very seriously fire your nutritionist. You don't need them. You are aware of your problems, the high cholesterol and whatnot, which is something you really need to be speaking to your doctor about, and based on the other completely absurd things your nutritionist has told you, I wouldn't trust him/her to lead you in the right direction for the cholesterol either. You can lose weight the same way everyone who has ever lost weight ever has: By eating less calories than you burn. That's the only requirement for weight loss. Every diet that has ever worked ever is just calories in/calories out in disguise. You don't need a nutritionist to help you do math. And that's all CICO is.

As far as health, MFP has some pretty good generic Macro settings for you, and your doctor can give you at least some idea what you can do about the cholesterol, or possibly prescribe you something to lower it for the time it takes you to lower it naturally by losing weight and getting fit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the lateness! It wasn't covered by the NHS and my doctor didn't refer me to this - actually, he didn't really say anything for my high cholesterol. Just cut down on meat and sweets, which is something I was doing prior to the blood test. I do have vitamin D deficiency, and got tablets for the next 5 months for it. I know that's very common for people of ethnic origin, and my ginger ninja (in the picture) doesn't have this problem.
    To be really honest, I was getting so many conflicting advice from friends and family. I was getting told off left, right and centre for putting on weight after personal events in my life, that when the doctor told me about this high cholesterol malarky, this nutritionist thing was kind of Plan Z without going to drastic measures.
    Although I'm aware that high cholesterol is genetic (it's a common thing in my family), I didn't think I would get it at the tender age of 28!

Dump the nutrition person.
    The human body makes cholesterol. But if your doc wants you to cut out animal fat, add more vegetables and beans a few meals a week.
    Weigh and log your foods and your weight and your cholesterol will go down. :)