And the Most Annoying Fruit in the World Award goes to...

Options

Replies

• kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Completely agree! Bananas can be a pain to get to in time. Like someone else suggested, I have been buying a few that are green, and a few that are yellow. That way you have ones that are ready to eat, and then the green bunch will be ready to eat once you are done with the ripe few.

Now oranges would definitely be on the Goldilocks list for me. I LOOOOVE oranges, but heck if I can ever find good ones. Once in a great while I will get great oranges, but 9 times out of 10, they taste bitter, have hardly any citrus flavor at all, and are hard/void of any juicyness :grumble:
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    If i have bananas going bad, i just peel them and put them in a ziplock bag, and freeze them. Then later you can chop them up, blend them in a processor and make like an ice cream or something with them. Or use them in recipes. The consistency comes out like ice cream, but you'll get that strong banana flavor unless you add ingredients to it.

I must be the only one that likes when the outter skin of the banana is black. To me they are so much sweeter on the inside!

My husband likes them darn near green! BLEH!
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bananas because they makes soars in my mouth, But when i do have some that start to get over ripe i throw three in the blender fill it up with milk add a tablespoon of cocoa powder, milk shakes for the kids. They love them and i love that the bananas are sweet enough that i don't have to add any sugar.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's why I usually only buy 2-3 at a time.

Kiwi came to my mind first because I like them but when I eat them I get that tingling sensation behind the ears. You know, that feeling you get when you eat something tart and sweet. It's so annoying.

Red raspberries is another. They go bad in the blink of an eye. I get them home and within a day I see mold starting....irritating!!
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I really luck out when it comes to bananas. I tend to buy them in a bunch of 6 or so. There's about a 2-3 day range (generally 2 at the moment due to the heat) where I'll eat them and enjoy them. Once they're past where I'll eat them, Bill will continue eating them until they hit the point of banana bread ripeness. If they hit that point, I tend to freeze them until I get 4 and then it's time to make the banana bread.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Completely agree! Bananas can be a pain to get to in time. Like someone else suggested, I have been buying a few that are green, and a few that are yellow. That way you have ones that are ready to eat, and then the green bunch will be ready to eat once you are done with the ripe few.

Now oranges would definitely be on the Goldilocks list for me. I LOOOOVE oranges, but heck if I can ever find good ones. Once in a great while I will get great oranges, but 9 times out of 10, they taste bitter, have hardly any citrus flavor at all, and are hard/void of any juicyness :grumble:

This is true. I haven't really been buying oranges in a while -- well, regular oranges, anyway.. I've been getting mandarin oranges/tangerines, which I find are almost always great! -- but back when I would get them more often, I found it would just depend. If I was able to get the big ones with the really thick skin -- my FAVORITE kinds -- they were always WONDERFUL. But anything short of that, you wouldn't always know what you were gonna get when you removed that peel..lol.. And actually, maybe that's why I haven't really bought any in a while, come to think of it.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    If i have bananas going bad, i just peel them and put them in a ziplock bag, and freeze them. Then later you can chop them up, blend them in a processor and make like an ice cream or something with them. Or use them in recipes. The consistency comes out like ice cream, but you'll get that strong banana flavor unless you add ingredients to it.

I must be the only one that likes when the outter skin of the banana is black. To me they are so much sweeter on the inside!

My husband likes them darn near green! BLEH!

lol wow, I strongly disagree with both you AND your husband, but if I had to pick a side, I think I'm going with him..lol
  • Gailmarie760
    Options
    peel and freeze those bananas great for smoothies and mashed in baking goods and low fat pan cakes made with oat meal...in place of added fat. Never waste... also add to blender with a little PB-2 and you have the best Ice cream even the kids will love.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas. Not because they are annoying but because they taste bad, smell bad and have a bad texture (IMO, of course).

But I like the term "Goldilocks fruit". I'm totally stealing it.

For me, the pear is the worst for being Goldilocks. It seems there is a one day window for a pear to be exactly ripe before it goes over the dark (aka mushy) side. But on that one day, it's probably my favorite fruit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Lol, you eat then too slow then!:laugh: In my family of 3 we go through 10 medium size bananas in 4 days.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    Yes. That's why I usually only buy 2-3 at a time.

Kiwi came to my mind first because I like them but when I eat them I get that tingling sensation behind the ears. You know, that feeling you get when you eat something tart and sweet. It's so annoying.

Red raspberries is another. They go bad in the blink of an eye. I get them home and within a day I see mold starting....irritating!!

True -- I thought about adding raspberries to the list, but because I haven't had much experience with them -- especially compared to all of the others I mentioned -- I thought I might not yet be quite the fair judge! But yes, the few times I have bought them, that has also been my experience.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    I really luck out when it comes to bananas. I tend to buy them in a bunch of 6 or so. There's about a 2-3 day range (generally 2 at the moment due to the heat) where I'll eat them and enjoy them. Once they're past where I'll eat them, Bill will continue eating them until they hit the point of banana bread ripeness. If they hit that point, I tend to freeze them until I get 4 and then it's time to make the banana bread.

That's awesome. I really gotta start freezing the things..

Oh how many I've wasted in throwing 'em away once they reach that point..lol
  • shrinkingWITS
    Options
    I read once that if you rinse bananas in cold water, dry them and then seperate them all, they'd last longer.

I tried it.

It works. Don't ask me how or why...but I haven't thrown away a rotten banana in the last year.

*shrugs*
  • shrinkingWITS
    Options
    lol Another random thing that I found works with berries...

FIll a bowl....but in a few tablespoons of vinegar and add the berries. Swish them around for a few mins. Drain. Rinse well. Let dry, put in dry bowl and stick in fridge.

lol My berries last me the week without putting on any fur coats...strawberries up to two weeks.

Try it, it works.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    I hate bananas. Not because they are annoying but because they taste bad, smell bad and have a bad texture (IMO, of course).

But I like the term "Goldilocks fruit". I'm totally stealing it.

For me, the pear is the worst for being Goldilocks. It seems there is a one day window for a pear to be exactly ripe before it goes over the dark (aka mushy) side. But on that one day, it's probably my favorite fruit.

lol steal away..

And I cannot beLIEVE you don't like bananas..although you aren't the first person I've met who feels that way.

When they are just right, they're one of my top favorite fruits -- they are SO..FREAKING...GOOD...when just right, lol

And I feel you on pears -- I remember years ago, one of my best friends told me her favorite fruit of all time was pears. And a mutual friend and I were both just like :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O !!! We couldn't even believe it. Like, out of ALLL of the wonderful, tasty and juicy fruits out there...a pear?! It just seemed like such a boring choice, lol..and, even more ironic, this friend is far from boring -- she's always been very "colorful", full of energy, and hiLARious.. That might've been why her statement was even more shocking.

But years later, after personally avoiding them for so long (b/c I had for so long, from childhood, thought they were just a really "meh" -- uninteresting -- fruit), I decided to try 'em again, and I don't know WHAT it was, but I loved it. Totally changed my view on my friend's admission, and I even called (or texted?) her to specifically tell her that and apologize, lol

However...since then, like you said, I've found pears to be a crap shoot -- when they're good, they're great, and it is indeed a very small window when they're good. Outside of that, they're useless and no wonder why I had deemed them boring for so long!

But okay, my dissertation on pears is complete :)
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    I read once that if you rinse bananas in cold water, dry them and then seperate them all, they'd last longer.

I tried it.

It works. Don't ask me how or why...but I haven't thrown away a rotten banana in the last year.

*shrugs*

TRYING. Thank you!
    lol Another random thing that I found works with berries...

FIll a bowl....but in a few tablespoons of vinegar and add the berries. Swish them around for a few mins. Drain. Rinse well. Let dry, put in dry bowl and stick in fridge.

lol My berries last me the week without putting on any fur coats...strawberries up to two weeks.

Try it, it works.

Hmm that sounds pretty oodd, lol, but I'd be willing to try this as well. Just about anything to get my fruit to last!

So many wonderful and different ideas on this thread -- thanks everyone SO MUCH! I just might cry if, in listening to you guys, I find myself no longer having the "banana issue" from here on out!
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    Options
    really, the banana? I would have figured it would be the durian...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2z14N-pTQhl94M5iutjBifxHfaaPV-PSs3-PSEBobk0xThjMr

with it's hard, porcupine like outer shell, it's odor like 17 year old sweaty gym socks off of a putrified corpse, just to get at very little fruit... no matter how good it tastes that is WAY more annoying than a banana.

I mean, even pomegranates are more annoying than a banana.

I don't believe I've ever had the durian..but you know what? Before you even said it and as you were describing frustrations of the durian, I realized I completely forgot to include pomegranates. They are for sure annoying. I still wouldn't say any fruit is, as of now for me, more annoying the banana because...okay, so I know they are crazy-cheap to buy and very easy to peal and eat, but I love them SO much and yet feel like I have to pay very close attention to them to get them when their flavor is JUST RIGHT..and then tend to lose some before it's all said and done due to not eating those before they turn bad.

So this, my friend, is why they -- for me -- would be granted as Most Annoying ;)
  • Kristy7418
    Kristy7418 Posts: 85
    Options
    Wrap like this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/327073991658229937/

Not too much longer but a bit. The challenge is getting the bf and 16 year to re-wrap it when they take a banana. lol