Bulgarian Method/HIHF training

Options
Not TRUE Bulgarian style as I'm not a pro, I have a job, and I'm not on anything, but specifically Greg Nuckols/Omar Isuf's adaptation in their "The Bulgarian Manual."

Anyone have much experience with trying this? I believe Squat Every Day works on a similar principle. I'm not going full bore in it for all my lifting, just working in a block for my bench.

Me and bench pressing have issues. I don't like it and it doesn't like me. In order to try and bust through some obstacles, physical & mental, I'm gonna be adapting my program a bit and hitting the bench 4x a week while doing the rest of my regular program.

Every day includes normal warm-up and the way I'm introducing it goes like this:
Week 1: 4x5 @ 60%
Week 2: 3x4 @ 70%
Week 3: 2x2 @ 80%
Week 4: Daily max

Daily max isn't at true max, its what I work up to that day that I can hit without grinding it out and with perfect form.

I'll also mentally set a daily min each day that is the weight I KNOW even if I feel like crap, even if I'm tired, I can get that weight with perfect form.

Any input from those having done programs like this would be great.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Bulgarian or Shieko for the purpose of bringing up a lift. I friend of mine worked with the Bulgarian method years ago and I know a few others that have done Shieko (@JoRocka) and had success with it. What does your training method look like now?
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Currently doing Greg Nuckols "The Journey" On my main lifts, the progression I'm working is this:
    Warm up sets not included but obviously done.

Week 1: 4x2 of working weight (roughly 85-90% of max)
    W 2: 6x2
    W 3: 8x2
    W 4: 4x3
    W 5: 6x3
    W 6: 8x3

Then deload week and up weight. Going great for my DL, squat & OHP. Bench its completely hit or miss. For example, on week 2, I had to drop weight for final 2 sets. Week 3, I blasted through all 8 sets no problem. Its week 4, could barely do 2 reps, dropped weight down, still struggled getting sets of it.

My bench is by far the most susceptible to not quite enough sleep, or its Tuesday (bench day) or whatever.

I don't expect this program to magically fix it, but I think having something where it makes me face it every lifting day, getting more overall volume in, and still focusing on getting good reps for the working weight could help.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    Currently doing Greg Nuckols "The Journey" On my main lifts, the progression I'm working is this:
    Warm up sets not included but obviously done.

Week 1: 4x2 of working weight (roughly 85-90% of max)
    W 2: 6x2
    W 3: 8x2
    W 4: 4x3
    W 5: 6x3
    W 6: 8x3

Then deload week and up weight. Going great for my DL, squat & OHP. Bench its completely hit or miss. For example, on week 2, I had to drop weight for final 2 sets. Week 3, I blasted through all 8 sets no problem. Its week 4, could barely do 2 reps, dropped weight down, still struggled getting sets of it.

My bench is by far the most susceptible to not quite enough sleep, or its Tuesday (bench day) or whatever.

I don't expect this program to magically fix it, but I think having something where it makes me face it every lifting day, getting more overall volume in, and still focusing on getting good reps for the working weight could help.

I actually use something similar and I use a training max / "working weight". I train 3x/week full-body style.

W1: 5x5 @75% of TM
    W2: 5x4 @80%
    W3: 5x3 @85%
    W4: 5x2 @90%
    W5: 5x1 @95%
    W6: Work-up to TM, go for PR depending on how the session is going
    <deload> then increase TM 5 / 10 respectively

How long have you been training like that? How long has your BP been an issue? I've found that lifts are up and down and rarely are they all at their best at the same time. How many days do you train and how do you split out your lifts? How much accessory do you use?
  • ovidnine
    Options
    I've been using this program for almost 4 months. I lift to help me not be fat, to get stronger, and to look better.

Simple breakdown each day you do either Squat/DL/BP/OHP. Then you do an auxiliary lift so say, Squat day you do Romanian Dead lifts, BP day, you do arnold press, DL day, front squats, OHP day, db press/close grip bench.

Then there is various accessory work each day focusing on hypertrophy. plenty of pullups, pull downs, rows, stuff for delts, various other leg exercises, etc. Writing it out, it seems "complex" but its really pretty straightforward and 60-75 minutes gets me taken care of and I've been steadily progressing everywhere but bench and seen more changes in my general body composition than I had in the previous year.

My bench has always been an issue since I started lifting again. Its the one I get stuck on the most progression wise. Currently 2nd time through with this weight (180lbs), and while I'm doing better, its still kicking my butt way more than I want.

I always do my main lift first after warming up and typically mix it with my auxiliary lift for the day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    What accessory lifts do you use specific to supporting your BP? The program sounds straight-forward, just a 4-day split with a focused lift and accompanying accessory work?
  • ovidnine
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    What accessory lifts do you use specific to supporting your BP? The program sounds straight-forward, just a 4-day split with a focused lift and accompanying accessory work?

Yup, its pretty straightforward. Its part of a larger overall progression. Each day you have an "auxiliary" lift which is supporting your other main lift for upper or lower body. Mine is currently close grip bench.

The accessories as well right now are flyes, and cable crossovers. Those are my two accessories focused most on chest. I've also done DB presses, incline DB presses, and some other things at different points. I typically switch up the accessories every 3-6 weeks.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Yup, its pretty straightforward. Its part of a larger overall progression. Each day you have an "auxiliary" lift which is supporting your other main lift for upper or lower body. Mine is currently close grip bench.

The accessories as well right now are flyes, and cable crossovers. Those are my two accessories focused most on chest. I've also done DB presses, incline DB presses, and some other things at different points. I typically switch up the accessories every 3-6 weeks.

Where are you getting stuck in the BP?
  • ovidnine
    Options
    Just varies massively week to week on how many sets I can do. Some weeks its not a problem to do them all. Others, like this time, even one set was not happening.

Gonna attack it this way for a couple of months and see if I feel like I'm progressing. Started today on it 4x5 @ 60%. Figure I'll start 4 days a week on it next week and see how it goes.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In for the discussion. I currently bench 4/week as part of my regular program (peaking for a meet in 1 week).
  • ovidnine
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    In for the discussion. I currently bench 4/week as part of my regular program (peaking for a meet in 1 week).

Good luck with your meet!

Might I ask what approach you take to benching 4x per week? Is it some form of working up to a daily max?
  • SideSteel
    edited November 2015
    Options

Good luck with your meet!

Might I ask what approach you take to benching 4x per week? Is it some form of working up to a daily max?

I bench four times per week. Generally, 1 day is strength themed where the %rm will range from 85-95 on average. 2 days are power themed where the %rm will range between around 70-80% on average (high for traditional speed work, by design), 1 day is hypertrophy which tends to range between 70-80% on average but at higher volumes.

Over a three week period the intensity goes up and volume goes down. Week 4 is a deload week. Then it repeats with an intensity increase and volume decrease. Two weeks out, I taper.

I also squat 3/week and deadlift 2/week, and a mix of accessories. 4/week training days so basically I bench daily.
  • ovidnine
    Options
    Wow, that's an impressive program! Did it take you very long to adjust to the additional volume?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Wow, that's an impressive program! Did it take you very long to adjust to the additional volume?

It was a decrease in volume from my previous program =)
  • ovidnine
    Options

Dear god man! lol

That is awesome.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Dear god man! lol

That is awesome.

It's really not that much volume, feels like I need a bit more. I've been squatting 3/week and benching 3/week for quite a while before this program, so all I really did was add another bench day, but squat volume per session went down.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I saw very good gains on a DUP program Squatting & Benching 3-4x per week, with Deads at 1-2x per week. Need to stay on top of recovery and pay attention for when it's time to ease off the gas a bit.

I also ran Bulgarian (Omar & Nuckols version) for a few weeks, but didn't particularly like it. However, I was in a deficit while attempting to do so, so that is more than likely why.

Anywho, I find a real benefit to higher frequency programs... anytime I'm hitting something less than 2x per week minimum the lift itself just feels like utter garbage.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I saw very good gains on a DUP program Squatting & Benching 3-4x per week, with Deads at 1-2x per week. Need to stay on top of recovery and pay attention for when it's time to ease off the gas a bit.

I also ran Bulgarian (Omar & Nuckols version) for a few weeks, but didn't particularly like it. However, I was in a deficit while attempting to do so, so that is more than likely why.

Anywho, I find a real benefit to higher frequency programs... anytime I'm hitting something less than 2x per week minimum the lift itself just feels like utter garbage.

Same. I'm a huge believer in high frequency. Not necessarily both high frequency AND high intensity but if you undulate intensity/volume appropriately you can certainly squat/bench 3+ times/week each and pull 1-2 times too.

And doing things more often develops skill and keeps it sharp.
  • ovidnine
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm taking a slow and steady approach to my lifting. I'm in my mid 30s and only a couple years in and while I want GAINZ even more important is minimizing risk of injury. I've gotten pretty decent at listening to my body (usually) so I'll try to focus on recovery for sure.

I can imagine it would be difficult to do running a deficit. I'm currently running a slight deficit (maybe 1500-2000 calories/week) but not being super strict about it. If it seems I need to forego that for a bit, well, eating more is never a problem for me. lol

I don't think it'll be a big issue though as I'm only adding the bench as a block instead of attempting a full program in this manner.

Really glad to hear from some of you guy's who run or have something at least similar.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I'm taking a slow and steady approach to my lifting. I'm in my mid 30s and only a couple years in and while I want GAINZ even more important is minimizing risk of injury. I've gotten pretty decent at listening to my body (usually) so I'll try to focus on recovery for sure.

I can imagine it would be difficult to do running a deficit. I'm currently running a slight deficit (maybe 1500-2000 calories/week) but not being super strict about it. If it seems I need to forego that for a bit, well, eating more is never a problem for me. lol

I don't think it'll be a big issue though as I'm only adding the bench as a block instead of attempting a full program in this manner.

Really glad to hear from some of you guy's who run or have something at least similar.

I run the same program in a deficit as I do in a surplus. Just for what it's worth.

You can absolutely train high frequency in a deficit. But you may need to manipulate volume/intensity to accommodate recovery.
  • ovidnine
    Options

I run the same program in a deficit as I do in a surplus. Just for what it's worth.

You can absolutely train high frequency in a deficit. But you may need to manipulate volume/intensity to accommodate recovery.

Thanks a ton guys. You all are giving me some nice tips on what to mentally prepare for especially.