Switching from losing weight to maintaing weight

I have my calorie goal set to lose 2 pounds per week. I am almost to my weight goal (4 pounds to go) but the main thing for me is to be healthy, strong, and avoid injuries. I am working out (cardio and doing mostly body weight exercises for about 90 to 120 minutes a day) I would like to lose my 4 pounds and then transition back to maintaining my weight but also add strength and endurance. Any advice on the transition from losing weight to maintaining weight?

I do believe this is where I slip and I find myself back on diets and losing weight.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Just up your calories till the weight loss stops. That's all there is to it.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    how much do you up your calories? If I am on a 1500 calorie diet now and I want to switch to not losing weight, what calorie diet do I switch to?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    MFP will give you your maintenance calories.
    Or, if your loss is a steady 2lb a week start adding 100 cals a week to your daily allowance until you hit maintenance.
    With 4lb to go and 1000cals to add, if the 2lb loss is constant, you could start now.
    Your loss will slow a little but you would probably find it easier both mentally and physically to do small increment calorie increase.

If you are changing your work out routine don't forget to take the change in calorie burn into consideration.

If I were you I would wait until I had my maintenance calorie goal sorted before changing my exercises. It will be easier to gauge when you have reached a the correct calorie input.

Cheers, h.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    First reduce to 1 lb/week. Reduce cortisol producing excess exercising. 45 mins every other day is plenty.