I want it all. Strength, speed, agility, endurance...

Options
rileyes
rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member

So I'm thinking this:

Tues/Thurs/Sat
Compound Lifting Program (StrongLifts 5x5+ Hip Thrusts)
(w/alternating days of Push-ups and Dips)

Wed/Fri/Sat
Run Long/Easy (Wed)
Run Bleachers (Fri)
Run Sand (Sat)

4 Days (Tues-Fri) of 30-40 minutes of bodyweight circuits and plyometrics to maintain conditioning and interest.

3 Days (Sat-Mon) of Tennis (one hour)

I was successful with building endurance, speed and agility with this plan sans the barbell training in the past. I am wondering if I need full rest days to get strength results. What is the likelihood that the bodyweight circuits will interfere with my strength gain goal?

I would increase resistance in the bodyweight circuits after considerable strength gains from the compound barbell lifts.

Sun and Mon are essentially my rest days (with tennis).

I eat at maintenance.

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get going.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    I want it all.

And I want a bentley
  • rileyes
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    I want it all.

And I want a bentley

Tesla is better.

Anyway...

I'm looking for a sustainable plan for gaining strength. And I am wondering how much rest is needed in order to build strength.

I am wondering if anyone else has a similar schedule and could post their results.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I also want it all, but I take classes 6 days a week.
  • rileyes
    Options
    I also want it all, but I take classes 6 days a week.

I am assuming you are taking various fitness classes. Do any involve (BB) strength training? If so, have you seen long term strength gains even though you are physically active most days?
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    You would typically get better results by focusing on things individually rather than all once. Inadequate rest also leads to injuries. Your body knows when it needs rest, so take it.
  • rileyes
    Options
    You would typically get better results by focusing on things individually rather than all once. Inadequate rest also leads to injuries. Your body knows when it needs rest, so take it.

My focus would be strength training 3 days with maintenance circuits on 5 days. The compound lifts are my main focus ATM. The circuit training is to maintain any speed and agility. And the combined is for my tennis game as well as overall health.

Would cutting the circuits on or following strength training days be beneficial for gaining strength?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

So I'm thinking this:

Tues/Thurs/Sat
    Compound Lifting Program (StrongLifts 5x5+ Hip Thrusts)
    (w/alternating days of Push-ups and Dips)

Wed/Fri/Sat
    Run Long/Easy (Wed)
    Run Bleachers (Fri)
    Run Sand (Sat)

4 Days (Tues-Fri) of 30-40 minutes of bodyweight circuits and plyometrics to maintain conditioning and interest.

3 Days (Sat-Mon) of Tennis (one hour)

I was successful with building endurance, speed and agility with this plan sans the barbell training in the past. I am wondering if I need full rest days to get strength results. What is the likelihood that the bodyweight circuits will interfere with my strength gain goal?

I would increase resistance in the bodyweight circuits after considerable strength gains from the compound barbell lifts.

Sun and Mon are essentially my rest days (with tennis).

I eat at maintenance.

Are you training for a sport? If you're looking to build speed, which is also an expression of power, and agility I think some adjustments to your training can be made. How exactly are you running your plyometrics (sets, reps, length of time, etc.)?
  • rileyes
    Options
    [quote="Sam_I_Am77 Are you training for a sport? If you're looking to build speed, which is also an expression of power, and agility I think some adjustments to your training can be made. How exactly are you running your plyometrics (sets, reps, length of time, etc.)?[/quote]

I play recreational tennis and want to start competing. So I need to get stronger-faster.

Plyometrics circuit: 4x10+ of Box Jumps, Burpees, Skaters, Lateral Jumps, Single Leg Lateral Jumps, High Knees, Medicine Ball Jump-Squat-Toss
    Also when I run the bleachers I add 10 box jumps and 4 very short sprints.

I am not trying to beat my time at the moment. I am just maintaining the conditioning. I keep a good challenging pace but time is not my focus lately as I am trying to like strength training.

I read everywhere that compound barbell lifts are the foundation for fitness. So I'm trying to create a program that fits in with that training.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    [quote="Sam_I_Am77 Are you training for a sport? If you're looking to build speed, which is also an expression of power, and agility I think some adjustments to your training can be made. How exactly are you running your plyometrics (sets, reps, length of time, etc.)?
    I play recreational tennis and want to start competing. So I need to get stronger-faster.

Plyometrics circuit: 4x10+ of Box Jumps, Burpees, Skaters, Lateral Jumps, Single Leg Lateral Jumps, High Knees, Medicine Ball Jump-Squat-Toss
    Also when I run the bleachers I add 10 box jumps and 4 very short sprints.

I am not trying to beat my time at the moment. I am just maintaining the conditioning. I keep a good challenging pace but time is not my focus lately as I am trying to like strength training.

I read everywhere that compound barbell lifts are the foundation for fitness. So I'm trying to create a program that fits in with that training.

Some SAQ drills that might be helpful, hopefully there's videos on YouTube; I wish I could share what I have.
    - Line Stop Deceleration Sprints
    - Box Drill
    - T-Drill

Your application of Plyometrics seems to be more for training aerobic conditioning than developing power (speed). When you're training for power the Plyometrics sets are about as methodical as you would train the Squat for example. If you were going to do a Tuck-Jump, for example, then you would setup, jump, land, get yourself back into an athletic position and repeat. These should not be done in a BootCamp/CrossFit style where you just jump-up / hop down as fast as you can, training for Power requires a different method of training. You can do something like 1 to 3 Plyometric exercises (super-set if you want) before you lift for 1 to 3 sets of 8-10 good reps or you can do them after sets of a main lift. For instance, you can do a set of squats, then do a set of 8 Broad Jumps. Suggested jumps,

- Tuck Jump
    - Depth Jump into a Broad Jump
    - Squat Jumps

Use of Throws. If you have room to throw a medicine ball you can do various throws similar to the programming mentioned above to help develop power as well. The Medicine Ball Oblique Throw would be an excellent exercise for you as a Tennis player.

The use of Olympic Lift at lighter intensities can also be used. For instance, you can do a set of Squats and then do a set of Power Cleans (floor or from the hang) at 30% to 40% max for 8-10 reps.

There is definite truth to that, however; when training for sports there are some caveats. Athletes must be able to express strength and power, while maintaining their athleticism. If an athlete is really strong but have bad proprioception and stumble all over the field they're no good either. I would say use compounds lifts for your base, but include some unilateral work to help improve your strength in the compound lift and for improved function. Things like Step-Ups and Lunges in the frontal plane are excellent exercises because they're not done like a Squat or Deadlift (up-and-down) and require some different movement mechanics. Please note I'm not saying don't Squat / Deadlift, nor am I saying Step-Ups / Lunges are better than Squatting; just different and serve a different purpose.

Frequency: Off-season athletes, strength train 3 to 4 days tops, do SAQ drills 1 to 2 times per week. Definitely take a day or two off as you want to strong, healthy, and fresh for the in-season. Those off-days should include some flexibility training.

In-season training, 1 to 2 days at most and I would minimize to eliminate the plyometrics. Most of your conditioning will be done on the court so your additional conditioning is minimal as well. Your goal while in-season is to maintain as much strength as possible from the off-season; though you should expect to lose a little.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think it's worth looking at the routine more than a quick glance? Why? Because the things you are describing are all based on exactly what YOU want to excel at. Do you want endurance lifting heavy things, or endurance moving only your mass?

While I can agree that compound lifts are a great foundation to overall fitness, I can't agree that it is any more solid of a foundation than cardio work. They both have their place, and neither in excess will lead to strong abilities in the other. That is why you won't see sprinters winning power lifting competitions, nor will you see bulky lifters winning distance runs. The idea is to adapt your body to the actual events you want or need to perform.

Every human body is a compromise of abilities. The ideal form for one set of abilities is not the ideal form for another set of abilities. You can be well rounded and be able to perform a variety of tasks at a fairly solid level, but without doubt you will suffer in some areas and excel in others.
  • rileyes
    Options
    Great info. Common sense too. Soaking it all in...

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    I want it all.

And I want a bentley

Tesla is better.

We just became best friends as this is my dream car.

You're missing flexibility. I would substitute a rest day for a day of flexibility.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Or just end each workout with a little yoga. That's what I do, about 20 minutes.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to need to increase your calories from maintenance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I agree with what sam I am said. Good info
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally that sounds like too much...particularly wiht no scheduled rest
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I agree with what sam I am said. Good info

I didn't see that as I was posting my response, but I also think that was solid input. It's easy to over train, and training specific to the task at hand is important.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Like other have pointed out you need adequate rest or one are of your training is going to suffer. I would suggest picking what goal is the most important to you, and then build a program around that goal. I would rather be big and strong, so I run a progressive lifting program and my cardio is minimal, because I hate steady state cardio.

are you new to lifting and have you ever run a structured lifting program before?
  • rileyes
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks all. I needed this.

For flexibility, I warm-up with dynamic stretching and have an Arsenal of static stretches particularly yoga (definitely need to do more of this). And my chair is a foam roller.
    @ndj1979 I have been running StrongLifts 5x5 inconsistently for a few months. I frequently deload 10-20% and may do 5x10. I have always added accessory lifts (thrusts, pull-ups, dips...) to help weaker areas or just for added interest. The heavy-lifting gives me the best visual results. I also feel like I have more power in my tennis. So I totally get your passion. I may just need to be more dedicated to get that frame of mind. As far as cardio goes, I am more interested in the cardio vascular conditioning than the distance. I would rather keep my cardio interesting (to me) in the form of circuit training.
    @robertw486 My focus is to achieve optimal health from the weights and cardio. And, you are right, my progress has suffered from trying too many things. I tend to be all over the place when I think of a competitive goal. I will do some research and find a coach for any specialized goal.

M/W/F 3x10 of compound lifts at a challenging weight with circuits to improve on weaknesses or enhance.
    S/S/M 60 minutes of tennis (two are rest days). On the non-rest day, I can do a mix of plyometrics including jumps
    and Medicine-Ball-Oblique-Throws while waiting for a court. Then I could to some agility drills on the court.
    F I would like to add a PM-bleachers circuit to Friday's AM-strength training. I do a mix of steps going up (two-at-time, lateral...)
    I push for speed going up and rest on the descent (1000 steps total) plus 4-5 laps on the track and 10 box jumps.
    T/Th Rest days
    Sat/Sun Active rest days.

So my week looks like this:
    Monday: AM tennis+circuits/PM weights
    Tuesday: rest
    Wednesday: weights+circuits
    Thursday: rest
    Friday will be AM weights+circuits/PM bleachers
    Saturday: active rest
    Sunday: active rest

Here is a little more info...
    Weight training session =45 minutes
    Circuit training session =15-35 minutes

My weekly circuits include these:
    lunges, step-ups, pull-ups, dips, rotations, planks, bridges and thrusts.
    I do a mix of supersets each session with one maybe being Landmines and Kettlebell Swings.

My favorite warm-up is this:
    50 JJ
    10 Burpees
    15 Squats
    30 Mt. Climbers
    15 Dips
    10 Burpees
    10 Lateral Lunges
    40 High Knees
    5 Push-ups
    _____________________________________________________.