Anyone take lexapro and put on weight

Options
Started taking lexapro a few months ago and it has made me hungry a the time anyone else found their appetite change when on a prescription pill

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That is a very common side effect of lots of antidepressants. You can still lose weight, it takes a bit more will power but it can be done.
  • stickthejugon
    stickthejugon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes I did initially, not sure if this was a mental thing as I was told I would put on weight taking it (I gained around 20lbs over a 12 month period. However, over the last 7 months I have lost 40lbs CICO, so don't let it win :)
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Will power is one thing I'm lacking in atm. But Xmas coming up has me determined to lose some kgs b4 it comes around. And a sister who weighed the same as me a few months ago and is now down 15kg
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It can seem insurmountable, the idea of conquering one more thing, but You can do it, you can find the willpower and, in most people being healthy, in both weight and through fitness can help with depression. Stay focused, use this app and don't let your mind tell you that you cant succeed.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I started lexapro in Oct 2009 at 162 lb and I had been at 162 lb for a while. I took lexapro everyday until Mar 2012 and by then I was 260 lb. After I stopped taking it I dieted and I am down to 174 lb. Clearly I am not back at my starting weight, which was one of the reasons why I started lexapro in the first place.
    Don't take it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro twice and didn't gain any weight either time.
  • arubamfp
    arubamfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    dianaiku wrote: »
    I started lexapro in Oct 2009 at 162 lb and I had been at 162 lb for a while. I took lexapro everyday until Mar 2012 and by then I was 260 lb. After I stopped taking it I dieted and I am down to 174 lb. Clearly I am not back at my starting weight, which was one of the reasons why I started lexapro in the first place.
    Don't take it.

While I understand Lexapro may have affected you negatively, it is reckless to advise the OP not to take an antidepressant.
    OP, perhaps you could explore other options with your physician. Many people see relief from depression and anxiety with Pristiq, which doesn't generally cause the weight gain and sexual side effects that often come with antidepressants.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    arubamfp wrote: »

While I understand Lexapro may have affected you negatively, it is reckless to advise the OP not to take an antidepressant.
    OP, perhaps you could explore other options with your physician. Many people see relief from depression and anxiety with Pristiq, which doesn't generally cause the weight gain and sexual side effects that often come with antidepressants.

I might have to talk to my Dr as I now have no sex drive whatsoever on them aswell :-/