Ideal Weight

Options
I'm around 5"7, 5"8 and I weigh 12 stone (168- 170 pounds). I wear a UK size 12 and I feel good and healthy. According to my bmi I'm overweight (26). I exercise a lot. I love running. I go to the gym or run three times a week, sometimes four and I walk for an hour every day. I eat everything in moderation and still eat carbs.

I hate weighing so much. I have friends who are healthy weight according to bmi but they eat rubbish and do no exercise. I've gotten down to 10 and a half stone (145 pound) and a size 8/10 and people said I was really skinny and thought I was around 120.

How much weight should I loose and does anyone else have the problem of weighing more than they look. People often think I'm around 10 stone (140 pounds).

Replies

• ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    if YOU hate weighing so much, then just buy a food scale, use it to weigh your food, and eat a reasonable amount of calories (for your height and weight and approximate age 1500, or more, seems alright) until YOU feel comfortable with your weight! Don't use others for motivation, this is your health, and your body. You would be able to lose 1.5 stone over the course of several months, and can re-evaluate at any time during your journey. Good luck, you've got this! Don't let others determine your worth :smile:
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    maybe you carry it different than your friends, if you are healthy you feel good, and your body does what you want and need it to do then stop stepping on the scale! You can't depend on it to tell you everything.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my goal weight (160) is in the overweight category. I chose that because that is what I feel good at. I really don't care to compare myself to others. It only does more harm than good.

People think that I weigh about 20 pounds less than I actually do. I really don't see that as being a problem.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut the carbs - you'll be better off.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and feel healthy (and you look great in your profile pic) then don't let all of the numbers influence you so much. Yes, it's good to know your weight and your BMI but they don't define you.

Also, don't compare yourself to others. If you have friends that seem to eat poorly but are not overweight I'd venture to say it's due to them being young. (You are young so I'm guessing your friends are around the same age.) Unfortunately, it will catch up to them at some point. Just keep doing what you're doing! If you enjoy your workouts focus on your fitness progress and not the number on the scale.
  • the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Actually, it feels great to be dense and actually sink in the ocean rather than bob to the surface like a champagne cork!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm around 5"7, 5"8 and I weigh 12 stone (168- 170 pounds). I wear a UK size 12 and I feel good and healthy. According to my bmi I'm overweight (26). I exercise a lot. I love running. I go to the gym or run three times a week, sometimes four and I walk for an hour every day. I eat everything in moderation and still eat carbs.

I hate weighing so much. I have friends who are healthy weight according to bmi but they eat rubbish and do no exercise. I've gotten down to 10 and a half stone (145 pound) and a size 8/10 and people said I was really skinny and thought I was around 120.

How much weight should I loose and does anyone else have the problem of weighing more than they look. People often think I'm around 10 stone (140 pounds).

This line of thinking is no good. No good for the friendships, and no good for your own outlook. Comparing is really futile.

You say you feel good and healthy. I don't see the problem.

If you really don't feel "good and healthy" then you can make some changes, starting with a calorie deficit.

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I agree with what some of the above posters said, if you're happy with yourself then don't worry about it! Focus on fitness and general health instead of losing weight. If you don't already, you could try lifting weights or find a new exercise that challenges you more than your current routine (I definitely suggest Spinning)

And I definitely agree to not worry about your friends being thinner than you. If anything, just remember that if the zombie apocalypse comes, you can outrun them and survive!
  • NinjaChinchillaNZ
    NinjaChinchillaNZ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't accurate for everyone, it really just gives you a range for a healthy weight. For example, according to BMI I am still in the healthy range (at the lower end) at 47kg. The lowest I've been as an adult is 50kg and that was when I'd been very ill for months and people kept saying I looked way too skinny (and I agree). It doesn't take into account body shape, your build, bone density, muscle tone etc.

No point comparing yourself to other people as no one else will be built exactly the same way as you.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would chuck away your scales, to be honest, or at least stop weighing yourself - you sound like you're fit and healthy and (UK) size 12 is slim, especially at your height, so I think the number on the scale is irrelevant. Try to care less about what your friends weigh, if you can.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really hate this bmi rubbish so much but health care professionals always use it and treat it like it's accurate. I don't even think I have a big frame, I'd say medium but I do have strong bones. Weight makes me feel so low as celebrities in magazines claim to weigh x much, like 9 stone and I don't look that much different to them or say they're overweight at 11 stone and I look thinner than them and weigh more. Amy schumer for example is around my height but weighs ten pounds less than me and she's like a UK size 14-16. I weigh more than her but I'm thinner than her.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely tell you to ease up on the power you give the scale - Yes, easier said than done but it's something I would strongly suggest working on for your own sanity. In the grand scheme of things, the figure on the scale doesn't really matter. You're healthy, you feel better, you look better - you're happier? That's whats important.

The amount of weight you lose is entirely dependable on you and how you feel about yourself. People can comment on your progress and make their own opinions but ultimately, it's none of their business. Well done on your awesome hard work.