Recomposition/weight lifting question.

Options
vespiquenn
vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I just got over my gym anxiety and decided to start lifting to preserve my lean muscle and start recompositoning (is that even a word)? So unfortunately, the personal trainer at the gym isn't around during hours that I can go, otherwise I would be asking them.

But what would be the best way to begin a lifting program for a 25 year old female? Back in college, I remember calculating my one rep max and taking a percentage of that, but I don't recall what percentage was best. I just don't want to go in and hurt myself because I'm trying to take too much on at once (which I am known for doing haha).

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Don't try to figure out your one rep max early on....not the safest thing to do if you haven't lifted in awhile.
    It wont take long to figure out a good weight for you, especially since it sounds like you have done this before.
    Without writing a novel, I would recommend determining your specific goals first. You will notice gains almost immediately but you can save some time, and effort by starting to train specifically for what you want to accomplish. Building strength vs muscle vs shaping.

There is a significant difference between doing 5 reps and doing 15 reps. Both are effective but will alter the amount of weight that you can lift.

Just do it, you will see results.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yes. They even have an app that makes it so easy.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    As mentioned stronglifts and ice cream fitness are just a few. Choose one based on your needs. Forget about one rep max. Lift weights that you control with a full range of motion, in a controlled manner but that challenges you. Start there.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Nia Shanks has lifting programs, even some for free. Nothing complicated but very effective and fun.