Anyone with Lumo Lift?

Options
I am gettng a Lumo Lift for my birthday for posture monitoring. But now I am reading up about it and apparently it counts steps too (and calories, but based on your weight-age-gender etc. and not on your HR so pretty useless for that) and the app syncs with MFP.

Is anybody using it for step count? How accurate do you find it? Is there a way to sync it with MFP so you can view your step count, but without calorie adjustments (I prefer to do TDEE minus a percentage, steady over the week, no variations).

I am not asking about other trackers because I really want a Lumo Lift for its main function, just wondering if anyone is using these optional extras and specifically how you find using it with MFP?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Is this a heart rate monitor? I have never heard of it.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It's a posture monitor which keeps you from slouching. I am a programmer, and already have the typical posture of the profession :( So I am getting it for that. But it's worn on the skin and registers your movements like a fitbit, no HR monitoring though. I wouldn't mind seeing the step count on MFP, but I don't want calorie adjustments because my rate of loss (or not) is for me the best estimator of actual burn. Hence my question how to sync it properly. Their website offers minimal information.

Guess I will answer my own question in a couple of weeks...
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a Lift on my holiday wishlist!

To the best of my knowledge, syncing a tracker with mfp goes whole hog. There's no way to track your steps without risking either a positive or negative calorie adjustment because the steps are viewed as activity. If you purchase mfp premium, you can choose not to have your macros and daily calories auto-adjusted by exercise the way they are now, but for us lowly non-premium folks it's take it or leave it in terms of adjustments. I kind of get around it by pre-logging and then ignoring the changes to my macros day of, but it doesn't make for super accurate information. Hope that helps!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It's a posture monitor which keeps you from slouching. I am a programmer, and already have the typical posture of the profession :( So I am getting it for that. But it's worn on the skin and registers your movements like a fitbit, no HR monitoring though. I wouldn't mind seeing the step count on MFP, but I don't want calorie adjustments because my rate of loss (or not) is for me the best estimator of actual burn. Hence my question how to sync it properly. Their website offers minimal information.

Guess I will answer my own question in a couple of weeks...

How interesting! I think those of us who work desk jobs tend to slouch more. At least I do. I am consistently telling myself to sit up straight. I will be interested to know what your experience is.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Options
    SLLRunner, I'll definitely share! I am hoping for actual long term posture improvement, we'll see how it goes.

Daremightythings, thank you for the detailed answer! It answers my uestion exactly. In that case I won't connect it at all. I'll just follow my steps in the Lumo app. The steps are just the cherry on the cake in this case, anyway.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can link it with MFP without it automatically adjusting your calories.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Options
    Update as promised:

I have been wearing it for a couple of days and like it so far, it definitely doesn't forgive a slouch :) it turns out I have pretty decent posture while standing or walking, but sitting at my desk it's horendous. In the late afternoon it literally buzzed every couple of minutes for a while. As it should have.

Step count is surprisingly accurate, I think it is based on the sensor input. Calories burned are either way off or misrepresented. What I mean is this: supposedly it calculates your BMR (based on your input weight, height, gender, age) and then adds calories from steps. I left it on a shelf for a day to see this base calorie count and there is no way my BMR is over 2000 calories! However, what it gave me is pretty close to my sedentary level calories given by MFP.

I linked it for a day but decided to unlink it, due partly to the suspect calorie counts and partly because I really like to have a constant goal better.

TL;DR - as a posture monitor and corrector it seems to be working really well, as a pedometer quite well. As a calorie counter/activity tracker though - not so much.

I'll report in a few weeks if I am retaining better posture habbits while stting or not, but I think I probably will - it is hard to ignore the vibrations which act as a "slap on the back" when you slouch.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about it for a few weeks for the posture monitoring only. I have a Fitbit Surge already, so no need for the pedometer feature. Here's my primary reason to not get it: Does it really need to be calibrated for proper position every day? This is what it looks like from what I've read/heard so far and that would be a real hassle.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I readjust many times a day, mostly when I move between standing and sitting. I have it on my undershirt
    and can push the button through my outer shirt, very easy. I've done it while sitting with someone and they are totally unaware. I link it to iOS. I have a Fitbit 1 on the right side, so steps don't matter.

The software is not so great - there is a delay in updating the hourly history - but I don't regret buying, my slouch had got very bad from my siting 8 hours at an internet support guy. It's improved immensly.
    I've been thinking about it for a few weeks for the posture monitoring only. I have a Fitbit Surge already, so no need for the pedometer feature. Here's my primary reason to not get it: Does it really need to be calibrated for proper position every day? This is what it looks like from what I've read/heard so far and that would be a real hassle.
  • Wiseandcurious
    edited December 2015
    Options

Recalibrating takes a double tap on the sensor, done discretely and in seconds. But it does need to be done every time you change positions for a long time, e.g. In the morning before heading out, when you sit at your desk for the day, at the start and end of lunch break and of the working day...

If that seems too much a hassle, consider if you really want the device, beacuse this is completely minor to the utter annoyance of having it buzz at you every two minutes or less when you slouch! But that's the idea behind it, that it never lets you forget if you're slouching, until it becomes second nature to stand up/sit up straight.

I should also add that while the vibrations are impossible to ignore, nobody else seems to hear them, at least at work.

(Edited because I had misquoted).