251 grams of Protein..???

MSH2930
MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
I started using myfitnesspal and it tells me every day that I am to eat 251 grams of protein. The most I have been able to do is 130, and that was a stretch and by no means foods I want to consume every day (ie, protein shakes, protein bars, grilled chicken breast for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and tons of skim milks..well not tons, but A LOT!!)..I know there are other ways like plain greek nonfat yogurt, but all in all I am stumped as to the reason WHY the number is so HIGH!! I am a female, and that seems like a lot even for a man.

I am all for high protein/low carb/low fat/low salt, but this seems extreme and well, pretty much impossible. Let alone it does not leave much room for vegetables and other good things to consume in the alloted calories for the day.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,370 Member
    I assume you account is set to lose weight, not maintain or gain? How many daily calories have your been allocated? What is your activity level set at? Can you see what the macro-nutrients percentages were set at?

250gms of protein = 1000 calories...that is alot..
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    That is way too much for a female. You don't have the muscle mass to require such high protein levels. 0.8-1 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight is plenty. This is generic. We don't know your weight, your caloric intake and your exercise regime. I am going on assumptions.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Open your diary so we can see - settings, lower left, set to public.

251g = 1000 cals suggests you have either changed the macros, there is a bug or you have a 5000 calorie goal (given that MFP default is 20% of calories as protein).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    yeah - that's wrong
  • MSH2930
    Crap, now I need to figure out how to go in and change things, I guess..?

tiptoe, yes, I am looking to lose weight and my alloted calories each day (minus exercise) is 1210.
    Thanks for all the replies!! xx
  • MSH2930
    I fixed it. My alloted calories are 1210, and I had the protein percentage set at 60%. I adjusted the amounts and it looks much more do-able!!

Thanks, everyone!! x