Race Funding

Options
I am just restarting my journey in running. I have big plans, but not a big budget. How do you go about getting sponsors for races? Or would it sound too desperate to ask for help in funding my races? I have three that I would love to do end of this summer and early fall. Opinions?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    What kind of races are they? If they are a fundraiser for charity, you could raise enough money to cover your entry fees and make a donation to the charity. If they aren't, then it would be a little trickier to find someone to pay for your entry fees.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of anyone outside of an elite athlete being funded (not that it doesn't happen). That is, aside from charity entries to races.

Large races can be pretty expensive. They usually come with a huge race atmosphere and a nice kit but there are tons of races that are much cheaper. Check your local running club's race circuit. Around here you can run a 5 or 10 k for under $20, some are even $5. Keep in mind with cheaper race fees, you don't get the same big race atmosphere and little to no swag but they can still be pretty fun. The race that I directed cost $10 to run 5 or 10k with half the proceeds going to Make a Wish foundation and people were still pissed they didn't get a tshirt. Lol. We had draw prizes and food but no shirts.