Last question...why does it 'add' my calories burned to my calories for the day..?

Options
MSH2930
MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
Last question..I think..? For now..?

Why does it 'add' my calories burned into the alloted calories for the day..? I thought to lose weight, you had to create a deficit with exercise and calories consumed.

Maybe I am old-school, but this just does not make much sense to me..

I like monitoring my food and exercise each day, and seeing roughly how much sodium, sugar, carbs, fat and calories consumed each day, but so much about this site I am really trying to understand..

Thanks so much for any help!

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If you punch in all your information and a weight loss goal, your calorie deficit to reach that weight loss goal is already calculated into your existing calorie intake recommendation.

Due to that, you can eat back exercise calories and your net intake would still be in line with your goals. Keep in mind that you CAN increase your deficit with exercise, and also that often exercise logging over estimates calories burned. Due to the over estimation of exercise, it's wise to maybe eat back half of your exercise calories, and watch your loss trends to see if you need to adjust from there.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The goal MFP gives you is calculated without exercise.

Say your goal is 1500 calories to lose a pound a week. MFP believes that through your normal daily activities you'll burn 2000 calories. You then exercise and burn 300 calories. This means you'll now burn 2300 calories today. In order to keep to that 500-calorie deficit and fuel your body, you should eat those calories back. The catch is, however, that oftentimes the burn given to us (from either MFP's database or cardio machines) is too high. Thus, many people only eat back half of those calories (150).
  • MARVELBC
    MARVELBC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree! I hate that MFP does that and that it states if I continue to do this I will weight XXX lbs in so many weeks, I use MFP for weight maintenance and I am pretty consistent and I will never ever reach that weight or I'd be underweight. It also sets unrealistic expectations and makes people feel like failures. I ask my patients to look beyond that.

Weight and obesity management is very complex and saying that weight management an equation of calories in and calories out is way too simplistic and incorrect, and can then make people question things or their efforts they are doing and stop the new healthy behaviours they are making when they don't see changes on the scale.

Here are some good blog about it from Dr. Sharma who is the chair of the Canadian Obesity Network.
    http://www.drsharma.ca/the-3500-cal-per-pound-weight-loss-fallacy-and-why-even-experts-get-this-wrong.html

http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-myth-1-the-3500-calorie-rule.html
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    MARVELBC wrote: »
    I agree! I hate that MFP does that and that it states if I continue to do this I will weight XXX lbs in so many weeks, I use MFP for weight maintenance and I am pretty consistent and I will never ever reach that weight or I'd be underweight. It also sets unrealistic expectations and makes people feel like failures. I ask my patients to look beyond that.

Weight and obesity management is very complex and saying that weight management an equation of calories in and calories out is way too simplistic and incorrect, and can then make people question things or their efforts they are doing and stop the new healthy behaviours they are making when they don't see changes on the scale.

Here are some good blog about it from Dr. Sharma who is the chair of the Canadian Obesity Network.
    http://www.drsharma.ca/the-3500-cal-per-pound-weight-loss-fallacy-and-why-even-experts-get-this-wrong.html

http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-myth-1-the-3500-calorie-rule.html

Calories in/calories out is not incorrect. It's pure science. Most of the time if someone isn't losing, their equation isn't correct (inaccurate counting).
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, making a lot more sense now!! I guess I just think when it says 1250 calories a day that already takes into consideration that you are exercising..but the replies definitely make sense..thanks so much!!

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    This has already been covered above and it is covered on the MFP Help pages in the General Questions/Getting Started article on the MFP Help pages. I am posting it here for other members who may not know there are many helpful articles found on the MFP Help pages.
    When you create your profile, we ask you for your age, height, weight, gender, and normal daily activity level. We use these factors to determine the calories required to maintain your current weight. We also ask how much weight you would like to lose or gain per week, and with this goal in mind we subtract calories (for weight loss) or add calories (for weight gain) to determine your daily calorie and nutrient goals.

We also ask you for your weekly exercise goals, in order to provide an incentive for you to reach. We do not account for additional exercise outside of your reported daily activity level, until you log exercise to your diary under the "Cardiovascular" section.

Because your daily calorie goal already accounts for your intent to gain or lose weight at a particular rate, you can achieve your goal by eating the specified number of calories per day, with no additional exercise required. If you do exercise, then your daily calorie goal will increase for the day, to stabilize your weight loss or weight gain at the rate you initially specified.

Reference:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, making a lot more sense now!! I guess I just think when it says 1250 calories a day that already takes into consideration that you are exercising..but the replies definitely make sense..thanks so much!!

The only thing that is calculated day to day in your calorie goal is the activity level calories. Anything above that isn't added until you log it. I think this is an area that allows some error for most, but it can't be but so perfect. If you want to know how many calories are calculated for your chosen activity level, you can simply change it to sedentary vs any other setting you might choose and look at the difference.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    Thanks robertw486, that makes sense!!
  • MSH2930
    Options
    CyberTone, thanks, sometimes I need things explained a little better.. ;)