Break from running: How long before you lose your ability?

Options
I am used to running between 8-12KM daily (sometimes more). I have run off too much weight though and need to gain a few pounds, so I should probably curb my running a bit. I am worried about losing my ability though! I love feeling like I have strong, able legs and lungs!

How long of a break can the average person take before they start to lose their strength in running?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One week.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    IIRC, it extremely fit individuals will notice a sharp decline in "fitness" within the first 3 weeks. After that it tapers off. I've found that I can get back to what I was doing within a few weeks after I've fallen off the horse for weeks or months at a time.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    One week.

Oh god. I'm going out right now then. I will just eat like a monster today or something.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too. I'm taking a month vacation and will be unable to run for that whole time. Hopefully it doesn't throw me off too much.
  • scottb81
    Options
    Everyone will begin to lose fitness after a week and have a significant decline after about three weeks. However, very aerobically fit people will have a slower decline than those who have been training for a shorter time.

If you have been training a short time, a few months, then the decline will be sharp and fast. If you have been training high volume for years the decline will be much more gradual.
  • scottb81
    Options
    If you do need to take a break you can pretty much maintain your fitness level for several months by reducing the runs to 3 times a week with one of those runs being hard (Tempo effort) and the other two easy.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I am used to running between 8-12KM daily (sometimes more). I have run off too much weight though and need to gain a few pounds, so I should probably curb my running a bit. I am worried about losing my ability though! I love feeling like I have strong, able legs and lungs!

How long of a break can the average person take before they start to lose their strength in running?

Why not just increase your calories? Keep running, but do so while eating a calorie surplus.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've coached many runners---please try pool running until those pounds come down. You wear a vest and run in deep water [your feet don't hit the pool floor]. This is a great exercise and will keep you in running shape until you can hit the trails again. It is also very cool in the summer. Pool running is how many accomplished runners stay in shape when they have an injury that prevents putting weight on a leg.
    Try it!
    Good luck!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/losing-running-fitness/

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/how-long-does-it-take-to-lose-your-running-fitness/
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    What really is the issue here, is how fast you can get your fitness back again.

That first run back will be more difficult than normal, the second not so much, thereafter you are back in the swing of things and working your way back to original fitness.

There really is no need to stop running unless you are injured or ill OP, if you find you are losing or have lost too much weight due to the running, you need to eat more so there is no calorie deficit and if you need to put weight ON, you need to eat much more in that you are not using up all your calories.

All you need to do is reverse the weightloss strategy, ie eat MORE calories than you use up.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just eat more instead of stopping.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What if you take a break from running, but still do cardio a few days a week? Would you still lose your fitness from running?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Why not just increase your calories? Keep running, but do so while eating a calorie surplus.

QFT Yep this is what I was thinking too...
  • goshnames
    Options
    Well, I took about a week off and started again yesterday. I did notice increased difficulty, but hopefully it won't take too long to get back on track. Thanks, ATT949 for those links! At least I know that if I do need to keep cutting down, it won't take as long to build up the same fitness level. I've cut it down to 5k-6k a day this week, but I try to increase my pace a bit more than usual. It just seems like it's not enough and not as fun as running long distance...but eating back that burned energy is a pain in the bum!

I'm just not used to eating over my maintenance calories. It seems like SO much food (and ends up being so much more expensive in terms of groceries)! It actually upsets my stomach. I need to switch my thinking from running to burn calories to running to improve my run = need more fuel.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Yeah...sounds like it's time for some ice cream...
  • goshnames
    Options

Yeah...sounds like it's time for some ice cream...

Bahah. Ice cream is a daily staple in my diet, but I will happily double my ice cream intake if needed. :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    One week.

:huh:

Sorry. Not buying it.

I have taken a break from running for two weeks to over a month -- the latter was after my half marathon -- and never had any decrease in my strength or ability to run. After the second run I was right back to where I was. It could also be the fact that I still did cardio though.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    One week.

:huh:

Sorry. Not buying it.

I have taken a break from running for two weeks to over a month -- the latter was after my half marathon -- and never had any decrease in my strength or ability to run. After the second run I was right back to where I was. It could also be the fact that I still did cardio though.

I second this ^ except for me, it is usually around the third training session that I am finally getting back into it all.

Although some running fitness is lost, it is never all lost and it does not take long to gain back.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    One week.

Oh god. I'm going out right now then. I will just eat like a monster today or something.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    One week.

I think scottb81 maybe was being sarcastic. I know it's not what you asked, but if you want to continue to run, I'd say you'd be able to do that and gain weight. Once you hit (or pass) your goal weight, your metabolism slows, making it harder to lose. So up your calories, continuing running, if you do this and continue to lose, don't run as much, and good luck!