Longer inter-set rest periods enhance muscle strength and hypertrophy in resistance-trained men.

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
saw this on FB and just wanted to throw it out there for all to view..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807/

don't have access to full study, but if anyone has it please feel free to link me to it...

Replies

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It makes sense to me. I would guess it has some to do with ATP replenishment and what not. At least for myself if I don't rest enough, I don't seem to give 100% on that set. I'm sure that has something to do with it also. How you measure that part, I have no flippin' clue!!! :smiley:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    It makes sense to me. I would guess it has some to do with ATP replenishment and what not. At least for myself if I don't rest enough, I don't seem to give 100% on that set. I'm sure that has something to do with it also. How you measure that part, I have no flippin' clue!!! :smiley:

I usually give myself 2.5 to three minutes between sets…however, sometimes, if I am feeling fatigued at end of set 2 then I will give myself more rest and seems to work ….

• jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »

I usually give myself 2.5 to three minutes between sets…however, sometimes, if I am feeling fatigued at end of set 2 then I will give myself more rest and seems to work ….

3 mins seems to be sweet spot for my compound lifts. When I'm doing hypertrophy based accessory, I honestly don't keep track of time, I just lift when I feel rested.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Lol, part of the reason why I probably stayed in the gym 2 hours a day LIFTING back in the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Good to hear. I usually shoot for 2 minutes on accessory movements but it usually stretches a little past that so it sounds like it's just right. I've tried 60 seconds of rest and while it's great to get a lot of volume in a short period, the amount of reps/weight I can do is significantly changed from resting an extra minute or two. So I've always wondered if it was worth it.