Pumpkin Dip

Options
iloveclones67
iloveclones67 Posts: 13 Member
I got this recipe from a Weight Loss Study that I'm in. I made it so I would have something that I could snack on Thanksgiving, and I really liked it. It calls for using Graham Crackers, which my family ate, but I dipped Grannysmith apple slices in it. The sour apples and the sweet dip made a GREAT combination. It's 70 calories for 1/4 cup (you could probably dip a whole apple's worth of sliced to eat that much.)

I froze the remainder in an ice cube tray today, and plan on some nice desserts in the next few weeks!

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 box (3.4oz - the larger one) French Vanilla instant pudding, I suppose sugarfree versions will work also
1/4cup brown sugar
8oz Lite Cool Whip (I used Fat Free, which makes the calories more like 65/serving)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp ginger
dash nutmeg and cloves (probably you can substitute Allspice for the four of those)

For dipping:
Graham Crackers (Cinnamon, Honey, Plain, whatever you like, maybe Vanilla wafers)
Apples (use any kind you like, but the Grannysmiths were awesome)

This is a great thing that doesn't scream Low Calorie, so if you bring the right "dippers", family won't ignore it, and you can join in on the snacking fun...

Replies

• americangalusa
    americangalusa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oooo was looking for something for a gals get together Sunday. I think this will be perfect! Thank you!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I have made my own version about 30 times over the last two years - and everyone seems to love it.​ I use only 1 box of sugar free fat free pudding mix because it is high in sodium; plus I don't usually add any other sugar or sweetener.

Whipped Pumpkin Dip

1 can, 15 oz (425g) pure pumpkin
    1 box, 1 oz (28g) sugar free fat free dry pudding mix (vanilla or cream cheese flavored)
    1 container, 8 oz (226g) whipped topping (Cool Whip or store brand)
    1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg, ground
    1/4 tsp. ginger, ground

Heat small pan over low heat. Toast ground spices in the dry pan for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, then set aside to cool. Note: it is important to toast the spices to bring out the aromatic oils; plus using raw spices will make the dip bitter.

In very large mixing bowl, beat together pumpkin, dry pudding mix, and cooled spices with a handheld beater.

Gently fold in the container of whipped topping with a stiff rubber spatula - do not beat it in or the final dip will be gummy. This will take a good five minutes of gently folding to get the dip fully blended, fluffy, and airy.

Freeze any extra in one ounce portions in a flexible ice cube tray. When frozen, remove from ice cube tray and store in a zip-close plastic bag.

Makes 24 x 1 oz Servings
    Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Cals 39, Total Fat 2g, Total Carb 5g, Protein 0g