Protein?

Options
okay I know this has probably popped up a million times on here but is it really dodgy to eat too much protein. I know you don't need loads I eat 1g per 1lb I know I don't even need that much but that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is it too dodgy to eat too much? I actually go over my protein intake sometimes by 20grams a day. Is this something to worry about or is it okay .. I've heard to drink plenty of water if you do consume more than you need.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will dispose of too much protein in the usual way, on the toilet. Too much protein in the absence of any other macros or fiber can also lead to constipation. Too much of everything leads to weight gain.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You will dispose of too much protein in the usual way, on the toilet. Too much protein in the absence of any other macros or fiber can also lead to constipation. Too much of everything leads to weight gain.

Okay thanks. I'm not over on other macros I'm under on carbs always sometimes a little over fat and mostly always over on protein. I do eat enough carbs I'm not a carb hater lol I just seem to eat/enjoy more fats and proteins than I do carbs.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I am betting this macro split will work very well for you.
  • Samm471
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am betting this macro split will work very well for you.

Why?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Because you are healthy. The difference is in the tens of grams instead of the hundreds of grams. A little under and a little over every day is normal.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Well, you and I have opposite problems. I'm usually over on fats and carbs. But here's a question: what percentages are you using for your goals and how did you set them. The muscle-builders on here use a higher percentage for proteins that I do. There are still low-fat folks around and others who concentrate on fiber.

So, you get to choose what is a balance for you. That being said, perhaps your current balance is not good for you long term. Are you high on protein because you are eating too few fruits and vegetables to get the nutrients you need? Are you getting sufficient fiber?

I aim toward a 40:30:30 (carbs:protein:fat) balance, a maximum of 7% of calories from saturated fat, and a minimum of 30 grams of fiber a day. Those are my ideal numbers to strive for. They may not work for you.

If you want more help with finding info to help you chose your own numbers, let me know. I tend to use science-based info from people like Harvard's School of Public Health, the National Institutes of Health, American Diabetes Association, etc.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Well, you and I have opposite problems. I'm usually over on fats and carbs. But here's a question: what percentages are you using for your goals and how did you set them. The muscle-builders on here use a higher percentage for proteins that I do. There are still low-fat folks around and others who concentrate on fiber.

So, you get to choose what is a balance for you. That being said, perhaps your current balance is not good for you long term. Are you high on protein because you are eating too few fruits and vegetables to get the nutrients you need? Are you getting sufficient fiber?

I aim toward a 40:30:30 (carbs:protein:fat) balance, a maximum of 7% of calories from saturated fat, and a minimum of 30 grams of fiber a day. Those are my ideal numbers to strive for. They may not work for you.

If you want more help with finding info to help you chose your own numbers, let me know. I tend to use science-based info from people like Harvard's School of Public Health, the National Institutes of Health, American Diabetes Association, etc.

45carbs 25protein 30fat that's my macros but I do seem to be more 40carbs 30protein 30fat and I get plenty of fruit and veg and hit fiber goal every day I don't have a problem not hitting my carb goal that's not what I'm saying or asking the question is that is eating too much protein more than needed okay for the body that's it
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You need to eat a lot more protein than one needs for it to be harmful. There's a wide range that's healthy. Sorry I gave an answer that read things into your post that you weren't asking. Here's a link to consider: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/
  • jgnatca
    Options
    It's hard to determine how much is too much. Your body is very adaptable. And you are not anywhere near dangerous levels. In fact, it's hard to find any data on what a dangerous level would be.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20000425/protein-popularity?page=1
  • Samm471
    Options
    Okay thanks guys :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I weigh 130 and very often get 160g of protein per day. Pretty much always above 1g per pound of body weight...I'm still alive. That's all I got.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your body will juat convert excess protein to glucose. So dont stress it too much.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Haha okay thanks guys I wasn't sure but cheers :)
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    okay I know this has probably popped up a million times on here but is it really dodgy to eat too much protein. I know you don't need loads I eat 1g per 1lb I know I don't even need that much but that's not what I'm asking. What I'm asking is it too dodgy to eat too much? I actually go over my protein intake sometimes by 20grams a day. Is this something to worry about or is it okay .. I've heard to drink plenty of water if you do consume more than you need.

If u go over your protein by about 20 grams a day, I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming you're program is set to 1g of protein per lb of body weight. This would put you to 1.1 which is totally fine. But what I would look at is your protein intake per meal. Try not to exceed 40g of protein per sitting, as your body can only absorb so much. We'll u could, but your body will just use the excess as energy.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jay_upi wrote: »
    Samm471 wrote: »

If u go over your protein by about 20 grams a day, I wouldn't worry about it. Assuming you're program is set to 1g of protein per lb of body weight. This would put you to 1.1 which is totally fine. But what I would look at is your protein intake per meal. Try not to exceed 40g of protein per sitting, as your body can only absorb so much. We'll u could, but your body will just use the excess as energy.

That's actually folklore/broscience which has been debunked. Here's some research review that discusses it thoroughly.
  • Samm471
    Options
    I normally have about 20-30g at each meal roughly