"Step calorie adjustment"

Options
How accurate is actually this step cunter?
Can anyone explain me how it works and if I should trust its meassure?

Replies

• enemyger
    enemyger Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I trust my fitbit

Over time it's got more accurate

I've set it up properly - stride length time zones goals

And I eat them all back
  • enemyger
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I trust my fitbit

Over time it's got more accurate

I've set it up properly - stride length time zones goals

And I eat them all back

Hmm i dont mean fitbit though?
    I mean the step counter that is in this app?
    It automaticly adds my steps
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My iPhone automatically adds my steps and mfp gives me calories for them. I've been wondering the same. Or how accurate the calorie count for steps is. Like yesterday I took 3,000ish steps and it gave me 80 cals back. But today I'm at 6000 steps and it's given me almost 400 cals back. That doesn't seem consistent that me.
  • enemyger
    Options
    My iPhone automatically adds my steps and mfp gives me calories for them. I've been wondering the same. Or how accurate the calorie count for steps is. Like yesterday I took 3,000ish steps and it gave me 80 cals back. But today I'm at 6000 steps and it's given me almost 400 cals back. That doesn't seem consistent that me.

Hmm its weird....
    Im trying to figure it out but cant find info about it
  • enemyger
    Options
    Push
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sorry mate...what app? MFP doesn't have a step counter...if it's an app you must have synched it

• Sued0nim
    Options

I am not speaking to the accuracy of your iPhone step tracker...but honestly I'd doubt it

But in terms of synching with MFP ensure you enable negative adjustments in your settings

Whatever your setting is you'd need to log a certain number of steps to hit sedentary ...for me it's 2500-3000 (or if I'm just ambling could be up to 5k) ...this would take me to MFP ...after that the calories burned is greater so if I hit 8-10k on a decent day I'll get about 400 extra calories
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's consistent, but sounds too high.

If you are down as sedentary, you wouldn't expect to get any calories back so long as your steps put you in the realm of what MFP considers sedentary. After that all steps would count, so it makes sense there'd be a much bigger adjustment. What seems weird is that you'd get any steps at all back at 3,000, or that you'd get so many back at the 6,000 level. That seems off.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's consistent, but sounds too high.

If you are down as sedentary, you wouldn't expect to get any calories back so long as your steps put you in the realm of what MFP considers sedentary. After that all steps would count, so it makes sense there'd be a much bigger adjustment. What seems weird is that you'd get any steps at all back at 3,000, or that you'd get so many back at the 6,000 level. That seems off.

Agree. I use my SHealth as a pedometer, the count is surprisingly accurate, but I don't ever sync it. My point is, I am a completely sedentary person, desk job, all my walking in the cold motnhs comes from walking the kid to school in the morning, daily commute (don't drive) and running a couple of errands on foot during the lunch break. That typically ends up a bit north of 4000 steps which is not a big deal and which I think is considered sedentary in general. Add may be several hundred steps walking around the building without my phone during office hours... So up to 5000 is still not an active lifestyle at all. So a big adjustment for 6000 does sound off.
  • dalielahdawn
    Options
    I don't know. But that what it does. I don't eat them back, but it still bothers me that calories for stepping are everywhere. 3,700 steps gave me 80 cals. 7,100 steps gave me 398. 4,200 steps gave me 247.
    I'm set to sedentary and have a 1300 calorie allowance. Negative calorie adjustment is enabled.
  • dalielahdawn
    Options
    I'm definitely looking into a real step/calorie tracker. I know my iPhone's "steps" are accurate, but I don't always have it on me. If anything it seems the more active my day is, the less I carry my phone with me.
  • enemyger
    Options
    Sorry mate...what app? MFP doesn't have a step counter...if it's an app you must have synched it

It does though...
    It counting my steps and idk how?

What if im driving? Does it count it also or what lol
    Is it by movement or how does it know im doing steps
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    enemyger wrote: »

It does though...

It doesn't, you have to have steps counted elsewhere and that data is transferring to MFP. Do you have an iPhone?

As for the poster who thinks they're getting too much back from their steps, are you very heavy? That could account for higher than expected extra calories as it's just naturally more work for you walking around than a much lighter person. My run burns are a lot higher than they will be when I get the next 30lbs off because it's a lot of work to run with an extra 30lbs!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

It does though...

Go to website
    Click on apps
    Scroll down and see what is showing as installed
  • dalielahdawn
    edited November 2015
    Options

As for the poster who thinks they're getting too much back from their steps, are you very heavy? That could account for higher than expected extra calories as it's just naturally more work for you walking around than a much lighter person. My run burns are a lot higher than they will be when I get the next 30lbs off because it's a lot of work to run with an extra 30lbs!

I am very heavy. 239lbs. However my curiosity is with the inconsistency in calories back.
  • dalielahdawn
    edited November 2015
    Options
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

It does though...

If you have an iPhone then the health app is tracking your steps, and the settings in that health app are apparently set to transfer them to mfp. So mfp pal isn't doing the tracking. The health app is. This is what my phone does.

• ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I clocked over 12000 steps today and got 501 cals to eat back so no,that ain't right!
  • dalielahdawn
    Options
    When I clocked 11,000ish steps, I got back 651.
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I clocked over 12000 steps today and got 501 cals to eat back so no,that ain't right!