Protein powder smoothie shakes

Options
So I got a powder protein shake called about time ve - chocolate flavor. To lose weight, how many calories should smoothie be?

I usually used a whole banana, unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop of powder, and sometimes 3 pieces of strawberries or fruit

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    how ever many calories that allow you to stay within your calorie goal. Mine comes to around 500 calories.
    Also protein powder won't make you lose weight, it has no magical weight loss properties. It's just a convenient way to up your protein intake. . .
    Again, just make sure you're eating and drinking within your calorie goal, along with accurate and honest logging and you should lose weight.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    To lose weight I have 1200 calories. My shake are usually 200-350
  • Christine_72
    Options

That sounds fine.

• Misspinklift
    Options
    It isn't too much? I just read somewhere it has to be under 200 for weight loss
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me too. My recipe is similar, I use less protein powder, throw in some crushed ice, 1/2 banana and some yoghurt. Comes in around 250 calories and a fair bit of protein. nice late night snack, or pre-post workout fuel.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

As long as you can fit it in within your calorie allowance for the day, that one smoothie can be a small percentage of that daily allowance, or all of it. The timing and amounts you eat really don't matter for weight loss, the totals of calories in vs calories out does.
  • Christine_72
    Options

If it throws you over your calories then yes you'll put on weight, but not because of the smoothie but because you'd be over mfp's recommended calories for you to lose weight.
    you could use your 1200 calorie allotment with ONLY protein powders/shakes and still lose weight.
    Like I said, my lunch time smoothie can range from 500-700 calories and I've lost weight just fine.

Concentrate on getting your calories right, before worrying about macros.
  • Misspinklift
    Options

If it throws you over your calories then yes you'll put on weight, but not because of the smoothie but because you'd be over mfp's recommended calories for you to lose weight.
    you could use your 1200 calorie allotment with ONLY protein powders/shakes and still lose weight.
    Like I said, my lunch time smoothie can range from 500-700 calories and I've lost weight just fine.

Concentrate on getting your calories right, before worrying about macros.

Thanks
  • Misspinklift
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

As long as you can fit it in within your calorie allowance for the day, that one smoothie can be a small percentage of that daily allowance, or all of it. The timing and amounts you eat really don't matter for weight loss, the totals of calories in vs calories out does.

Thanks. Makes sense
  • Misspinklift
    Options
    Sounds good to me too. My recipe is similar, I use less protein powder, throw in some crushed ice, 1/2 banana and some yoghurt. Comes in around 250 calories and a fair bit of protein. nice late night snack, or pre-post workout fuel.

Idk why but if my banana is half the amount of whole banana, I still feel hungry. With a full banana I don't. Weird I know
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Not true. Eat a smoothie as big as you want. Take the calories from somewhere else during the day.
    Eat the whole banana because they are filling.
    To reduce calories try half a cup of milk and half a cup of water.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    So I got a powder protein shake called about time ve - chocolate flavor. To lose weight, how many calories should smoothie be?

The smoothies aren't really about helping you lose weight as such, it's just another way to get protein in. If a sandwich would do it and keep you more full, have a sandwich instead.

Speaking for myself: If I had to live on 1200 calories (which wouldn't happen because I'm 5'7 but I would avoid that in most circumstances anyway), I would not use up 200-350 on a shake, because I don't find liquid food filling - shakes, soup, what have you. (Some people do, but not me.)

If I wanted more protein, I'd probably try to just have the protein powder with water (which I can't really do either, because I haven't found a protein powder that tastes good enough for me to do that. Some people do it, though).