Breastfeeding

Options
Is there any way to adjust for breastfeeding in the daily calorie goals?

Replies

• andihwc
    andihwc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can add it daily as a negative adjustment in your food diary OR you can add it as exercise. Either way you get more food! Since the common advice around here is to only eat back a portion of your exercise calories, I chose to use the negative adjustment in my food diary to make sure to eat them back for supply's sake.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I add it as a 1 minute 500 calorie exercise each morning. My baby is just over 9 months old. I tried reducing calories a bit now he's on solids but that just made me too hungry.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Another bfing question...do I set my weight loss goal (half lb per week) and let it tally my daily calories and then add the 500 negative?
    I'm due in 11 weeks and this is something I never figured out with my first. Thanks!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another bfing question...do I set my weight loss goal (half lb per week) and let it tally my daily calories and then add the 500 negative?
    I'm due in 11 weeks and this is something I never figured out with my first. Thanks!

It really is best to wait until your baby is at least two months before cutting calories as it takes that long to establish your milk supply. Once you are ready I would recommend starting small and going from there. My son is just about for months and I started tracking and cutting calories when he was two months. I bounced around doing trial and error for the first month then this past month I kept at about 1800 calories and ate back most of not all my exercise calories. My goal is set to 1lb per week.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    ragenhay1 wrote: »

It really is best to wait until your baby is at least two months before cutting calories as it takes that long to establish your milk supply. Once you are ready I would recommend starting small and going from there. My son is just about for months and I started tracking and cutting calories when he was two months. I bounced around doing trial and error for the first month then this past month I kept at about 1800 calories and ate back most of not all my exercise calories. My goal is set to 1lb per week.

I don't plan on doing anything but eating healthier food choices as far as losing weight is concerned for the first 4-8 weeks. It's after that's where I run into problems. I gained 10 lbs bfing my first and that's what I want to avoid again.
  • ragenhay1
    Options
    ragenhay1 wrote: »

I don't plan on doing anything but eating healthier food choices as far as losing weight is concerned for the first 4-8 weeks. It's after that's where I run into problems. I gained 10 lbs bfing my first and that's what I want to avoid again.

Great! I did lots of reading before I started cutting calories and found most breastfeeding women need between 1800 and 2500 calories. You can drop as low as 1500 but it could cause a. Drop in your supply. When you start dropping don't cut all at once start with small drops of 50-100 calories and see how you are doing. There is a calculator online that helps you figure out calories for breastfeeding.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm
  • meeganpotts861
    meeganpotts861 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There is a "food" you can add titled breasfeeding and its -500 calories. I always used that
  • laynie81
    laynie81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm having the same issue. This helped. I wish the app had a built in feature instead of these work around though.
  • ragenhay1
    Options
    laynie81 wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm having the same issue. This helped. I wish the app had a built in feature instead of these work around though.

Wouldn't that be fantastic!
  • meeganpotts861
    meeganpotts861 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok, I added "breastfeeding" as a -500 calorie food, but it didn't adjust my total calories for the day.