Net Calories reported or Total? Double dip??

Options
Question: when my Polar h/r watch states I burned 850 calories from 60 minutes of excercise, but in my normal course of day I would burn say...150 cals/hour -- do I net the additional cals out and just report the 700 cals?? Otherwise I am somewhat double dipping arent I? By doing nothing I get the 150 cals burned anyways - -so by excercising I burn an additional 700 = 850 total for the hour -- correct? So what are your thoughts on reporting cals?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Subtract your BMR, not TDEE calories. For easy math, let's pretend your BMR is 1,200 calories. Then you walked for an hour and burned 200 calories. BMR of 1,200 divided by 24 = 50 calories an hour. Exercise burning 200 calories total minus BMR of 50 = 150.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Also, 850 for an hour seems pretty high unless you're running really fast or something. For someone that was really big it would be possible but you look pretty slim. What are you doing to burn that many calories?
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    competitive cycling (amateur) has a huge cal burn -so do that or really hammer at an hour spin class will get close to 850 as well.
  • cheers_b
    cheers_b Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    btw -- thanks for the reply to my question.
    Have a great one!

cheers
    b