Calories in Safeway Mini Croissants?

Options
My mother brought me a plastic box of mixed Safeway Mini Croissants. It has butter, whole wheat, and pretzel croissants inside. They are pretty small. The nutritional information on the outside states each croissant has exactly 10 calories. That's right, 10 calories. My eyes almost bugged out of my head.

I ate 3. Now I am panicked, because I am worried it's too good to be true, and the nutrition info is a typo. I scanned the bar code into MyFitnessPal, and of course it's not able to find anything from it. I googled it, but I can't find anything on them. Just other croissants from Safeway.

Has anyone else tried these? Is it really 10 calories per croissant? I am so skeptical, haha! Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Probably forgot a 0 somewhere, as regular croissants are around 300 calories.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm afraid of. OMG.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Weigh one and use the info for the regular ones, adjusted down for the weight
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Two of the entries in the database here on MFP suggest they are 50 calories a piece. So a serving of 2 mini croissants would be 100 calories, not 10.

If it sounds too good to be true... ;)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    What are the macros? Do they add up to the calories listed on the label?

Worst comes to worst, I would see if the USDA has a croissant entry (Croissant, butter?), weigh your portion, and use that instead.
  • Acidique
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah, ok. It says a serving is 19g. I'll go with that. Stupid mislabel. I was so excited, and I should have known. Thanks everyone.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    not fair!! count it as 10 anyway :)
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I found this: long story short - this has 2 croissants at 180 calories:
    fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=1093234

So according this calculation, each one is about 90 calories. So round off to around 300 calories total; sodium content is around 100 for one croissant, which isn't too bad. I say take a nice. brisk walk along with a good, long chug-o-water, and you'll kick back at least one croissant-worth.

Did you enjoy the croissants? That's the most important thing!

We went to Spain in October for a cousin's wedding, and had croissants for breakfast almost every morning - big ones. Once with butter added to the croissant(!!). But we also walked around a lot (though at leisure). I came back home with a total of 1 pound gained. So I say: not to worry.
  • Acidique
    Options
    ejbronte wrote: »
    I found this: long story short - this has 2 croissants at 180 calories:
    fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=1093234

So according this calculation, each one is about 90 calories. So round off to around 300 calories total; sodium content is around 100 for one croissant, which isn't too bad. I say take a nice. brisk walk along with a good, long chug-o-water, and you'll kick back at least one croissant-worth.

Did you enjoy the croissants? That's the most important thing!

We went to Spain in October for a cousin's wedding, and had croissants for breakfast almost every morning - big ones. Once with butter added to the croissant(!!). But we also walked around a lot (though at leisure). I came back home with a total of 1 pound gained. So I say: not to worry.

These macros aren't the same as the ones on my package. I'll take a picture.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, that's a misprinted label alright, 10g of fat would be 90 calories in itself. I am also quite sure they contain more than 0g of carbs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd contact them, it's weird!
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you shouldn't overthink this now, let it go.
    It'll not make a difference in the long run if you're logging daily and following your set goals.
    Cheer up! :)
  • Acidique
    Options
    I'm more interested in the truth now, haha. I think I might call them.
  • billyrainbow
    billyrainbow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i did a pretty thorough check on those croissants, because i bought a box myself. Along with comparing what i see with recipes online, i tried to estimate based on other, similar ready-to-eat products. i got an AI to help me, so i had lots of data & didn't have to verify that much of it to feel confidant in my estimated range. Each 110-gram strawberry-filled croissant is at least 420 calories, and probably as many as 590. That's a big range, but the value i'm real confidant of for a very similar item from a bakery down the street is 530 calories, so use your judgement. You really ate 3?!?!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's a misprinted label alright, 10g of fat would be 90 calories in itself. I am also quite sure they contain more than 0g of carbs.

and it's not 10 g of fat...it's listed as 1.0 g....
    this is one crazy label!

found this:
    Croissant/Energy Amount
    77 calories

Croissants, butter
    Quantity 19 grams

Sources include: USDA
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Zombie mini-croissants?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

i did a pretty thorough check on those croissants, because i bought a box myself. Along with comparing what i see with recipes online, i tried to estimate based on other, similar ready-to-eat products. i got an AI to help me, so i had lots of data & didn't have to verify that much of it to feel confidant in my estimated range. Each 110-gram strawberry-filled croissant is at least 420 calories, and probably as many as 590. That's a big range, but the value i'm real confidant of for a very similar item from a bakery down the street is 530 calories, so use your judgement. You really ate 3?!?!

The odds of them answering are slim since they haven't logged on in four years, but they probably wouldn't even remember since they ate them eight years ago. ;)

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

The odds of them answering are slim since they haven't logged on in four years, but they probably wouldn't even remember since they ate them eight years ago. ;)

Ha! I didn't even notice the date. I sure hope Safeway has changed their label by now...🤣