Exercise routine for 59 year old woman

Does anyone know of an exercise video on line that I can follow? I am getting back into exercise and need something age appropriate. My body does not move like it did when I was younger. All I seem to see on you tube etc...are for younger people or single exercises. I am hoping to find a video that I can follow along with that wil be a full body workout for my age (at least to start with till my body gets used to exercising again). I am walking right now to Leslie Sansone but am looking to incorporate stregnth training. Thanks.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I am a 59 year old woman. When I started, I couldn't even get up a flight of stairs without stopping.

What I did:
    • Started with a water aerobics class. I burned calories, increased strength all over my body, and increased flexibility
    • Next, I added walking. I could only do a block at first, but I added time and distance
    • Last, I started swimming laps. I am not interested in lifting, so the lap swimming is still a resistance exercise that helps work all of the major muscle groups in the body.

I started this in March of 2014. Now, I walk 5-6 miles daily. I swim 1.5 miles and take the water aerobics 3 x a week. I have been able to walk up to 24 miles, kayak in Lake Superior all day long, and generally enjoy my life and activities.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    I'm 56 starting using fitnessblender.com, its all body weight or dumbbells exercises. I modified many of them to suit my fitness level till I built up enough strength and stamina to keep up with the videos. It really doesnt take long as long as you keep at it but at the same time listen to your body if it hurts STOP. Youtube is another place to look, theres lots of easy yoga programs to follow as well
  • Iljkmittaa
    Iljkmittaa Posts: 20 Member
    fitnessblender.com is the best! Try this one for starters: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/workout-at-work-32-minute-chair-workout-video
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    At 65, I hired a personal trainer and worked on strength training for 6 months. With a once a month session, I was then in the gym 4x a week. At the end of that time I decided I preferred group fitness and started going to Zumba, Body Pump, Kickboxing, yoga, an ab class combined with a free-weight strength class and anything else that struck an chord of interest.

3 years later I'm working out in a gym by myself in addition to cardio classes (usually Zumba) because I advanced further than the classes provided in challenge. Last year I bought a road bike and participated group rides, increasing my mileage from 15 to 75 miles over the year.

I don't believe, if one is not limited by chronic illnesses or conditions, that there are limitations to what one can do as one gets older.

• orrdi
    orrdi Posts: 1 Member
    I am 62 with catastrophic health insurance.i am out of shape and can feel back problems starting again from sitting too much. Looking for friends to help with motivation both ways. I don't know how to do much on here other than record food, weight, and exercise. I live in the country and am 25 miles away from gym and like to dooutsideactivites. Anyone want to be friends?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    The best exercise is one that you will stick with. I think this one is a good one to start with, it can be modified and gives you a good overall workout. But it really all boils down to finding something you can be consistent with.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Do what you can, and try to do a little more each time. You'll be surprised at how quickly you progress. When I first started, I couldn't do one squat. Not even one. Now I am able to do squats with weights. I will be 54 next month.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Fitness blender is great! Also search youtube for "fit after 50".
  • newjeans140
    newjeans140 Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you all. I guess I could do a lot of the videos out there, just modifying them to my fitness level. Thanks for the motivation and ideas.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    I'm 54 and at one point my only exercise was walking the dog each day, usually for about an hour, sometimes longer. Decided to add some cardio and printed a couple of exercise descriptions to get me started, found this easier than trying to keep up with online videos, some - even though they were supposed to be for over 40s - were just too much too fast and left me with painful knees and pulled muscles. I used the best low-impact exercises from a combination of the printed exercises and what I could find and memorise from vids, then wrote down my own routine, repeating/varying it occasionally so I didn't get bored. Think I did a bit of damage to my neck though, was pulling on my head on crossover crunches, and when I bought some weights to add strength training it put even more pressure on my neck; obviously I wasn't using the weights right either. So my advice is be careful if you're going to exercise at home - I found out the hard way it's easy to hurt yourself if you get it wrong. I now walk, use an elliptical and do a little light low-impact cardio (not enough!) but am a bit reluctant to start strength training using the weights again, even though I'd like to, too worried I'll do more damage.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,164 Member
    OP: Don't let age be a limiting factor for anything, especially in the absence of physical problems. You got very good suggestions already so go with them. Start slowly to get your body used to exercise (walking is great), but don't hesitate to push yourself a little everyday and either increase the intensity, distance or both. Do what you like and enjoy and you will keep up it up without regrets. When you feel that you are ready for more, check on line videos and/or Jillian Michales' videos. She incorporates cardio and strength training with light weights in her workouts. Modify as needed. You can buy her videos or you can probably get them at your local library. Exercise is good for the heart, the waist, and for our bones. Check your local YMCA or a gym for Pilates or Yoga classes; they are great for balance, core strength and flexibility. I am 72 years old with arthritic joins and I exercise between 360 and 400 minutes a week, (strength training included), and that is what keeps me walking normally and enjoying life. Don't forget that eating within your calories allowance is a must to lose weight and to keep it off and calories burned exercising will give you few more calories to eat and enjoy. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I am a 59 year old woman. When I started, I couldn't even get up a flight of stairs without stopping.

What I did:
    • Started with a water aerobics class. I burned calories, increased strength all over my body, and increased flexibility
    • Next, I added walking. I could only do a block at first, but I added time and distance
    • Last, I started swimming laps. I am not interested in lifting, so the lap swimming is still a resistance exercise that helps work all of the major muscle groups in the body.

I started this in March of 2014. Now, I walk 5-6 miles daily. I swim 1.5 miles and take the water aerobics 3 x a week. I have been able to walk up to 24 miles, kayak in Lake Superior all day long, and generally enjoy my life and activities.

And you've lost 127 pounds. You're a real inspiration @earlnabby!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    @newjeans140 - because I love the outdoors, I'm a big fan of walking. It's also something that's easy to build up. I'm up to two miles regularly and three occasionally. When I exercise at home it's easy to get distracted, but when I'm on the trail, I'm there 100%.

I'm in Massachusetts and am challenging myself to keep walking throughout the winter except for when I'm snowed in. If my 78 year old mother can do it, so can I!
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Don't get into thinking age is a barrier. I am 70 and started a gym program 6 years ago I now do 3 weight and 2 cardio sessions a week and am stronger and find I can use higher weights than some in their 20's. I am now lifting double the weight that I used to do and have recently added rope slams. This is in spite of having osteoporosis and breaking a hip 4 years ago. I also recommend getting a trainer so that you are using the correct technique and do no get injured. Good luck.
  • roxyspitfire53
    roxyspitfire53 Posts: 15 Member
    I do walking and use Leslie Sanson dvd's in house
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Age 73 with "life" in back and one leg. Do yoga 40 min 2-3 times a week and resistance machines 2 times. Occasionally throw in something else like Dumbbells for variety. All at home.
  • newjeans140
    newjeans140 Posts: 50 Member
    Gosh, you are all inspiring, I cannot thank you enough! Did some bodyweight exercises and stretching last night after warming up and am doing some walking, I feel good. I think I probably neded the inspiration and encouragement more than specific exercises...well, it worked☺
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Iljkmittaa wrote: »
    fitnessblender.com is the best! Try this one for starters: https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/workout-at-work-32-minute-chair-workout-video

I was gonna say Fitness Blender! Great stuff, most workouts easily modified for any level.