I never meant to get this big... how did this happen?

Options
Another year, the first day of summer, and me sitting here thinking, "this is the biggest I've ever been". Every year I think, well this is the last year that I'm ever going to be this big...then a year later comes along, and I'm bigger than before... I wish I could pin point what makes me feed into the food madness, but after 42 years, I still haven't figured it out. All I know right now is that next year I'll either be "bigger" or "smaller" than I am this year....God help me, I don't want it to be "bigger". I’ve officially become the biggest person in my family…among my friends…and among my co-workers. I’m so successful at everything else in my life…what gives with this?

Replies

• glee2010
    glee2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I can relate to your post in a couple of ways. I am the biggest person in my family, of my friends, and my co-workers. I always think, I never thought I could ever get this big, and then I get even bigger. It's a horrible feeling. Mot everyone struggles with their weight, I think. The difference is how they deal with it. So don't feel you are alone. I'm hanging there with you too.
  • remwagner
    remwagner Posts: 4
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! Have you heard of the book by Geneen Roth called Women, Food, and God (it isn't really about religion) but more about finding yourself. Might be worth checking out.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found this site your off to a good start, lots of help from freindly people. Maybe you could talk with a nutritionist and see what they think. I spoke to one from my insurance company for free, it is part of the wellness program that the health insurance offers. I found out that i need to eat a lot more in the moring, like 4 egg white omletts and one slice whole wheat toast with butter not sugary perserves. Took some time to get used to eating more in the morning , but what happend I ate a later lunch, dinner was served at the same time, but wound up eating less at dinner, because I just wasn't that hungry. Eating in the morning also got rid of the sugar cravings. Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    You are a strong person to be able to admit this! I guess like AA this is the first step towards lasting change. It all starts and ends with you - decide that you love you enough to reverse this damage and get busy. Anything I can do I will bc I read a person that wants help! Get this done.
  • Jellybean1970
    Jellybean1970 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been there too. 1 1/2 years ago I weighed 143 pounds more than I do today. It seemed like such an impossible thing to do to lose it. But it can be done. Have faith in yourself. I do, and I don't even know you. :flowerforyou:
  • nachoqtpie
    nachoqtpie Posts: 81
    Options
    Stephanie, I'm right there in the boat with you sweetheart! When I weighed myself and I was almost 200 pounds, I was shocked! I stood there for a while looking at the scale and wondered "how the hell did I get here?" I decided that this year, I wanted to be back in the shaoe I was in 2006 when I moved to North Carolina at 140 pounds. I lost about 12 pounds before I found this site, so, you can do it!
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. So many great things in my life yet I am still fighting this battle with my body. For way to long I said it was going to stop yet I am 33 and have been in this battle for far longer than I care to admit.

I have learned that we have to take it one day at a time and every morning tell ourselves... Today I WILL eat healthy and exercise, I WILL lose weight.... I WILL be healthier. It is one baby step at time and one bite. I have days (like today) I wish I hadn't eaten something but I know that tomorrow is a new day.

Besides my supportive husband, I think the best tool I have ever found that helps me is this site. I can track everything and know what I have eaten each day. I don't leave anything out even the thing I wish I hadn't eaten.

I wish you the greatest success and hope you find the support and tools you need to start losing.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. This morning is the first day of my "I'm not going to be bigger next year life" :) I look forward to keeping you updated on my progress, and hope we can all lend each other modivation along the way. This is not my first big picnic (pardon the pun), but it will most certainly be my last...