Maintaining weight while pregnant, and building muscle

I am 14 weeks pregnant and determined to stay fit.
I want to continue building on my back side while pregnancy, and open to any advice anyone has on this subject.
Thank you in advance!
Much love!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    If your used to lifting already then it's probably ok to keep doing so but please check this out with your doctor first to be safe.

The squatting should be fine but again I'm only surmising.

If you keep active through your pregnancy it's a good thing and is supposed to help when you do go into labour, so I hear! I wasn't fit during mine, wish I had been.

Be safe ok.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Unless you are significantly overweight, plan on gaining weight while pregnant. A lot of that gain is baby, fluids, increased blood, placenta, etc, but some of it will be fat stores - that helps the body ensure that it will be able to provide milk after baby.

As far as lifting, as long as you have been doing it for a while (ie you're used to it), it should usually be okay. Be cautious of laying flat on your back for too long and as you grow, be careful to make safe accommodations for your changing center of gravity. Also accept that you probably won't be making the strength gains while pregnant that you can at other times.

Make sure you provide safety and nutrition for you and baby first ... sometimes our bodies don't keep the best shape when we're growing a baby, and that's okay.

Also be ready for the possibility that you may not be able to lift through your pregnancy. I was an active lifter before my last pregnancy (my 5th) and was planning on continuing my gym routine. I ended up developing loose enough ligaments in my pelvis that I could barely walk, let alone lift weights. That is probably an extreme example, but be ready to adapt to whatever possibilities may come up. (Swimming or water aerobics are a great exercise and almost always safe in a normal pregnancy ... even just being in the water can be great for you!!)
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    I'm also pregnant, although only in my first trimester. I had been lifting and losing weight until I got pregnant and now plan on trying to only gain the recommended amount and hopefully maintain my muscle. It sucks but i know I'll gain fat and doubt I'll gain more strength. But I'm excited to be having a baby so I'm trying not to worry about my body too much!
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    You must be about as far along as I am - I am 16 weeks now. I am focusing on not gaining too much, but all the cycling I have been doing has definitely built some muscle in my thighs and buttocks :) I want to do some weight training for my arms as well, but finding it harder to get into that....

There is this group for pregnant ladies, come and join us! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1903-fit-fabulous-pregnant
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Push-ups and lots of walking. Save the rest until after....