Modified Stronglifts ok?

Options
purplishblue
purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I had a shoulder injury which I have greatly improved thanks for physical therapy. The way I originally injured it was by benching (rotator cuff injury). The physical therapist encouraged me to do weights, but to stay away from benching and overhead presses. If I were to do Stronglifts 5x5, should I simply take out those 2, keeping the rest the same (so 2 exercises 3 times per week), OR should I bump up the Deadlifts and Rows to make up for lacking the other 2 exercises, aka 3 exercises 3 times per week? Or would that be too much Deadlifts?

Edit to add that there are other shoulder exercises he has had me do, so my shoulders won't be neglected, just done in a way to not re-injure them.

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Do the program as is and either find a work around for bench/ohp, or omit them.

If you have a swiss bar/football bar, you can try benching or overhead pressing with a neutral grip. Might be able to get away with that without pain.

http://www.elitefts.com/education/exercise-index/swiss-bar-overhead-press/
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a similar deal, and have indeed substituted some moves to keep my shoulders at least status quo if not stronger over time. I also have a personal trainer who has provided me with several other exercises besides OHP and bench.

I can do the decline bench press, with a slightly narrower grip, just fine--so we work on those. You're essentially pushing, but at a lower angle, and it doesn't seem to affect my rotator cuff. We're also doing the same decline bench eccentric as well (start at the top, go very slow as you let it down, then get assistance--if needed--to get it to the top again). It does work slightly different sets of muscles, but it's a good forward/near-horizontal push move.

For shoulders, I do dumbbell presses (admittedly at a lower weight, combined, than what I had progressed up to with my OHP) with the dumbbells in front, at my chest, with my fists/fingers facing each other, pushing up (instead of DBs out to my sides, fists/fingers facing forward).

I also do cable shoulder "punches," where the cable is at shoulder-height, upper arm parallel to ground, and you push your bent arm straight, across your body, like you're going to punch someone.

Those, plus a few other stretches with the resistance bands, are at least allowing me to work my shoulders in a way that doesn't stress the rotator cuff. None of those an exact substitute for a vertical push like OHP, but it keeps your shoulders in action.I may not be building much muscle, but hopefully retaining some strength as it heals.

I'm sure the above moves have some legitimate name to them, sorry, I don't know what they are! I can't wait until this stupid rotator cuff strain actually heals....it stinks!!! I miss my overhead and bench presses!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could ask your physiotherapist for suggestions. Leaving them out will mean not working your chest or shoulders, which will lead to other muscle imbalances.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, what @amyrebeccah showed. That's the Dumbbell press I do. That and decline bench to get the horizontal and vertical presses in, plus that cable "punch."