How good is salmon for fat loss?

I'm 5"8 and 177lb, but my body fat is 22-23%.. I have a huge chunk of fat on my belly that literally sticks out about 1.5 inch (dead serious) and my thigh. My primary goal is to burn all this fat so my BF goes down to about 15% and be at about 160lb. I was wondering how good is salmon for those who want to primarily lose fat rather than recomp? As far as I remember, it's pretty fatty and oily. Please let me know.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    A calorie deficit is the only thing that will decrease body fat. Salmon is a very nutritious source of protein and omega-3's fatty acids which can be helpful to health, but it doesn't make you lose fat.

What I would suggest, a moderate deficit (.5 to 1lb per week), moderate protein (.6 to .8g per lb of mass) and a good lifting program to help maintain your current muscle mass.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You will lose fat from a calorie deficit. Salmon can be part of what you eat while maintaining that deficit. You need to eat fat, even while losing fat. It's essential for your body to function.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    No food in itself directly causes or inhibits fat loss; it is the calories within the food that contributes to a calorie deficit or surplus. The only way to lose weight is by creating a calorie deficit.

I like salmon, and it is very nutritious (it is high in omega 3 fatty acids). It's not much higher in calories than chicken breast (only 20 more calories per 100g), and I find it a bit more satisfying because of the high fat content.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    There's no certain food that will help you burn fat. It doesn't work like that.

If you'd like to lower your bf% then you need to eat at a calorie deficit. Cico .

BTW, I'm 5,8 135lbs and my bf% isn't 15%. Everyone will be different though. What method are you using to measure your body fat percentage?
  • qkrzazzang
    qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

If you'd like to lower your bf% then you need to eat at a calorie deficit. Cico .

BTW, I'm 5,8 135lbs and my bf% isn't 15%. Everyone will be different though. What method are you using to measure your body fat percentage?

I just happened to be a bit confused as lots of people recommend to avoid oily foods when losing fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Salmon is called a fatty fish but that is a compliment. It is a natural source of omega 3 fatty acids.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Salmon is good for you in general. I can't stand it, but eat it once a week anyway. It's high in protein and healthy fats. However, it isn't going to automatically make you lose belly fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    qkrzazzang wrote: »

I just happened to be a bit confused as lots of people recommend to avoid oily foods when losing fat.

Fish would rarely be recommended to be avoided. Its extremely beneficial to health.

When they are talking oily and fatty foods, they mean potato chips, pizza, cookies etc... although you can still eat those within a good diet but shouldn't be a staple.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Eating fat does not make you fat. Eating too many calories does.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    qkrzazzang wrote: »

Oils are typically liquid fats, and fats tend to be calorie dense. Thus dropping them from diets is one way to cut calories.
    People similarly recommend cutting out things like carbs, white foods, gluten foods, sugars - you name it there is probably some diet that recommends cutting it. All of them only cause weight loss when cutting the food leads to reduced calorie intake.
  • theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    If it is your stomach that seems to carry extra fat, you might look into your spine--hyperlordosis (aka 'swayback', a lower back that is exaggerated and sticks out) as well as an anterior pelvic tilt--which is usually due to sitting long periods of time, and tight hip flexors/poor glute strength, can give a potbelly or pregnant looking effect. I still have some of mine, though my posture has improved with weight training and weight loss. Go to a good physical therapist, get x-rays (don't listen to anyone tell you what's happening with your back if they don't even LOOK at the bones) and go from there.

But as others have said and rightfully so, if you're looking to spot lose, that's not how this works. Salmon is an incredibly healthy food and I'd suggest eating it even if you're not a fan ;)