Options
2»

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    AoifeElmo wrote: »
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Farro is another good protein source, and personally I find it a more pleasing texture compared to quinoa, as well as just tasting a little better to me. Nutritionally almost the same as quinoa, but a little tiny bit higher in carbs and calcium.

I like lentils for being quick, since they require no soaking. And in some varieties they can be done from bag form in 12-15 minutes.

Haven't heard of that, it's a grain? I love the texture of Quinoa, even though it looks strange, I cook mine in vegetable stock so gives it a bit of flavour. I am lacking in calcium though so might be worth a shot if I can find Farro!

Lentils, the texture and taste of those... My tastebuds don't like haha. I'm quite picky, I'm thinking of maybe trying them in Soup.

Farro is a grain, larger than most rice, with a bit more texture to it as well. I think in raw form it has a lot more flavor than quinoa. Similar to an earthy brown rice maybe, or along those lines. It's not quite as popular as quinoa, so a little harder to find. But a lot of stores carry it.

I've only made quinoa a couple times. I'm ok with the texture of it, but to be honest... it doesn't have much natural flavor IMO. It's so neutral I feel like it takes on the flavor of whatever you spice it or mix it with.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Since you like smoothies, I'd make a habit of them. You can sneak all kinds of things in there, including soaked oats, hemp seeds, protein powder (there are plenty of vegan options, but I like SunWarrior vanilla), raw cacao, even powdered peanut butter. Using a frozen banana for sweetness and texture will also give you some extra calories.